Shoutbox

Nintendo 64 Expansion pack - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack (/showthread.php?tid=34721)

Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by .blade// on 11-22-2004 at 05:31 PM

I was just thinking the other day - do you guys remember those little expansion packs for the N64? Do you know what they did? More ram? :P

Just curious..

RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by Ezra on 11-22-2004 at 05:39 PM

U mean that red thing you had to insert? Or those packs you put in your controller?

RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by Maniac on 11-22-2004 at 05:58 PM

I think he means the "expansion pack" :p which was the thing u put in the middle, stuff you needed for majora's mask etc...

the pack allows for better graphics and stuff... so i guess it did add more ram... don't see what else it can and...

on a side note, nintendo is releasing a n64 player for the gc :p

RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by Vilkku on 11-22-2004 at 06:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ningc_Maniac
on a side note, nintendo is releasing a n64 player for the gc
I just read on Gamespot that they wheren't :/
RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by Patchou on 11-22-2004 at 07:20 PM

If I remember correctly, the expension pack for the N64 was just an additional 4MB of memory.

RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by ddunk on 11-22-2004 at 07:30 PM

Yep, Patchou's right.

From www.gamestop.com

quote:
Get the fastest gameplay and best graphics from your Nintendo 64 with the Expansion Pack - 4MB. This handy Pack gives you more memory and allows you to take gaming to the next level. Can you handle more power?

RE: RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by .blade// on 11-22-2004 at 07:56 PM

quote:
Can you handle more power?

:lol: 4mb :O! THE POWA! :P

Anyways, thx Ddunk & Patchou :p
RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by Maniac on 11-22-2004 at 08:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vilkku
quote:

all they said is it would be cheaper to buy a used n64, doesn't mean nintendo won't do it ;)
RE: RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by Vilkku on 11-22-2004 at 08:35 PM

quote:
quote:
quote:

all they said is it would be cheaper to buy a used n64, doesn't mean nintendo won't do it ;)

Gamespot rates the rumor bogus. Well, thay don't know either. I don't think that Nintendo will do it yet (like Gamespot says) when there is still used N64:s on the market.
RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by .blade// on 11-22-2004 at 09:06 PM

quote:
Gamespot rates the rumor bogus. Well, thay don't know either. I don't think that Nintendo will do it yet (like Gamespot says) when there is still used N64:s on the market.

Well I don't think they will because The DS has a lot of old N64 games comming out in a slightly modified version of the original...
RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by Maniac on 11-22-2004 at 09:56 PM

True true, but i dunno if it's cheap enough it could always be possible, but then yeah the DS can pretty much handle n64 games soo....

RE: RE: RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by Garndell on 11-23-2004 at 09:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
quote:
Can you handle more power?

:lol: 4mb :O! THE POWA! :P

Anyways, thx Ddunk & Patchou :p

Well as much as I hate Ninty thats a 100% increase in Ram:

"There is a trend forming to use a Unified Memory Architecture (UMA) in forthcoming systems. The abortive M2 console also features a UMA. Although the Atari Jaguar was the first console to use a UMA, the Nintendo 64 is the most successful. A UMA uses a single chunk of RAM. All processors access and share the same memory.

The advantages of using a UMA is that the programmer can decide how much memory to allocate to program code, graphics data, screen buffer, audio data etc. In older systems (including the Sony Playstation and Sega Saturn), memory was assigned for certain tasks (1 megabyte VRAM, 2 Megabytes Main RAM etc). If a game does not use all the sound memory, it cannot be used for bitmaps. The UMA is a more flexible architecture.

The Nintendo 64 uses 36Mbits of RAMBUS 9bit DRAM. In more common terms this equates to 4 megabytes. The extra bit is presumably used for parity. The chips use a fast 8bit channel running at approximately 500Mhz. This yields a bandwidth of 520.5MB/sec or 4,500M bit/sec (exact benchmarks vary). The high speed of the memory, coupled with a 256k cache for both the R4300i and RCP, allow the system to make full use of the UMA.

There is an extra 4 megabytes of RDRAM (Expansion Pak) which plug into the front expansion connector on the top of the N64 taking the total amount of RAM in the system to 8 megabytes."

Detailed Specs
RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by Patchou on 11-23-2004 at 09:57 PM

....in other words, that's another proof of howsuperious Nintendo is compared to the new players that are Sony and Microsoft :).

RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by Ezra on 11-23-2004 at 11:57 PM

I can hear Patchou is a Ninty fan :P

RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by user27089 on 11-24-2004 at 08:12 AM

I admit that some Nintendo games are great, most of them are rubbish, as for the whole N64 for the gamecube thing, that sounds like rubbish to me.

RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by .blade// on 11-24-2004 at 04:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I admit that some Nintendo games are great, most of them are rubbish, as for the whole N64 for the gamecube thing, that sounds like rubbish to me.

I think that the Nintendo 64 was a lot better than the PS1/PSX was, but Nintendo failed complketly with their sad excuse for a console called the GameCube.
RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by user27089 on 11-24-2004 at 05:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
quote:
Originally posted by traxor

I think that the Nintendo 64 was a lot better than the PS1/PSX was, but Nintendo failed complketly with their sad excuse for a console called the GameCube.

N64 was ok, it had some great games, and so did the ps1/psx, IMO, the psone was much better than the n64 all the way, but its a pure matter of opinion, nothing else.

The gamecube sucks.
RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by Fergy on 11-26-2004 at 06:46 PM

The Nintendo 64 Expansion Pack doubled the machine's RAM
Think about it...

Dont forget the N64 was made 8 years ago

RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by ddunk on 11-27-2004 at 01:22 AM

Goldeneye > *
kthx.

N64, I think, was better than the PS1/X, but I'm glad Square moved the Final Fantasy series to Sony, Crystal Chronicals just plain sucked.

Anyway, back on topic (kinda). Was it even possible to use the Gameshark with the N64 expansion pack?

RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by Pipish on 11-27-2004 at 07:47 AM

Lol a few years ago i bought donkey kong 64 or sumthign and it needed an expansion pack and it was like trying to hack into the pentagon i swear it was hard there were like ten left:P

RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by user27089 on 11-27-2004 at 08:16 AM

I really see no need for anything to do with Nintendo, I don't enjoy its games at all, I hate the controllers completely..

RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by .Roy on 11-27-2004 at 08:21 AM

nintendo was fun back then. I really liked it and the games are really fun. I just dont know why they made game cube.. It has boring games and the controller is fuked up really bad.. MY favorite controller is the playstations one.. It is really easy to find all the buttons and to raech to all of them.. Which is helpful if you are a n00b.

RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by user27089 on 11-27-2004 at 08:24 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DureX
MY favorite controller is the playstations one.. It is really easy to find all the buttons and to raech to all of them.. Which is helpful if you are a n00b.

Controllers have no difference to whether you're a n00b or not, the mere fact that you have remembered where the buttons are is easy to do, all it takes is a bit of getting used to when you get a xbox.. imo, xbox has the best controllers, especially for car games, as the triggers can be pressed a little bit, giving you control of your speed.
RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by Maniac on 11-27-2004 at 02:22 PM

This debate has been made endless amount of times, there is no point of arguing because everyone is just trying to prove that the other consoles suck and the one they like doesn't instead of actually debating and trying to figure out which is best.. each one prefers his/her favorite console and thinks its the best... period

oh... and nintendo is by far the best... ok i'm done :p

RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by Fergy on 11-27-2004 at 04:06 PM

Goldeneye - Perfect Dark
oh yeeeah
i made the best ever combat sim for perfect dark
everyone that played it loved it!

RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by The Napster on 11-27-2004 at 07:04 PM

I still have an N64 with extension (get it from my Japanesee friend), i used to like it better than PS1, but i must say Gamecube sucks exept for Mario Kart :D , Hope DS is good.

RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by Fraisie on 11-27-2004 at 07:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by The Napster
I still have an N64 with extension (get it from my Japanesee friend), i used to like it better than PS1, but i must say Gamecube sucks exept for Mario Kart :D , Hope DS is good.

Oh, it is !
RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by user27089 on 11-27-2004 at 07:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fraisie
Oh, it is !
Sweet, You have it, what games do you have for it :|

RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by deuce on 11-30-2004 at 03:52 AM

it must update the hardware and crap but that system is old now.... i remember that little pack tho

RE: Nintendo 64 Expansion pack by C3PO on 11-30-2004 at 11:50 AM

I got my expansion pack free with Donkey kong 64 game years back. All the ps1 had back then was resident evil and way to many car racing games. The 64 was in a league of its own same with the super nintendo but the gamecube has really been a let down to me but its still good as long as its still making zelda games im always gonna buy Nintendo consoles :P