Shoutbox

Going back to 98 from Windows 2000 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Going back to 98 from Windows 2000 (/showthread.php?tid=34726)

Going back to 98 from Windows 2000 by Vazza on 11-22-2004 at 07:25 PM

Hey all

I have a tiny, little HUGE problem. After a few recent problems with the desktop (one including refusung to accept a dll file for Outlook express), my dad decided that maybe the way to go was to upgrade the OS. so he went from Windows 98 SE to Windows 2000 by,as I can make out, dropping the cd in.

Now he has, he's discovered that Windows 2000 won't recognise the modem, and hasn't cured the problem we had. What I want to know is how would we go about formatting the harddrive (since there so doesn't seem to be a DOS in 2000).

If this could be explained in simple terms as I have to explain to someone, over the phone 150 miles away, I would be eternally grateful.

alright, he just remembered something. He was asked if he wanted to back 98 up before installing and he said yes. so how do we go about this?

RE: Formatting HD from Windows 2000 by Millenium_edition on 11-22-2004 at 07:36 PM

you can use http://www.bootdisk.com (get the win 98 SE version). put a disk in disk drive, let the extractor do its job.

restart pc, put disk in. make sure your bios is configured to load the floppy drive BEFORE the HDD.

use any config you want, then type

code:
format c:
then hit Y and it'll be done ;)
RE: Formatting HD from Windows 2000 by Vazza on 11-22-2004 at 07:48 PM

let me add that there is no internet connection to the problem as well

RE: Formatting HD from Windows 2000 by Millenium_edition on 11-22-2004 at 07:50 PM

well, you got a connection in here. download the file in here, put the files it extracts on a floppy disk, and take the floppy disk to there.

RE: Formatting HD from Windows 2000 by Vazza on 11-22-2004 at 07:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vazza
Hey all
If this could be explained in simple terms as I have to explain to someone, over the phone 150 miles away, I would be eternally grateful.

which part did you not not the distance? And I am not downloading it (one don't have a floppy drive and 2 don't trust the postal service)

EDIT: Re-read the first post (a)
RE: Going back to 98 from Windows 2000 by Underlord on 11-23-2004 at 03:37 AM

Just put the 2000 cd in, boot off it and go into the windows installer.
You can format from there :).

RE: Going back to 98 from Windows 2000 by Vazza on 11-23-2004 at 08:07 AM

Okay, I edited the first post to say that what we want to do it is go backwards, because 2000 asked my dad if he wanted to back 98 up before installing, and he siad yes. So how do we go backwards, which means I should be able to avoid formatting

RE: Going back to 98 from Windows 2000 by gnownoskcid on 11-23-2004 at 08:26 AM

quote:
Now he has, he's discovered that Windows 2000 won't recognise the modem
instead of going through all that trouble, why don't you just go find an updated version of the modem driver for win2000 on the internet?
RE: Going back to 98 from Windows 2000 by Vazza on 11-23-2004 at 08:49 AM

quote:
let me add that there is no internet connection to the problem as well
and you propose I do this how when I'm
quote:
150 miles away
?

He thought upgrading would help another problem, but it didn't. Now all we want is to go back to 98 which has been backed up on the harddrive (somewhere)

RE: Going back to 98 from Windows 2000 by Hank on 11-23-2004 at 08:57 AM

one problem with Win2000 an XP that it needed Updated hardware , like some Modems . when i bought XP i had a Modem  that was a Rev2 Modem  from netcomm, i then had to purchase another Updated Modem to use in XP which sucked. what you should do . is format thye Comp an do a fresh install of 2000 only  ( yes you can install 2000 Upgrade CD without installing 98 first)  the Big problem if you have the 2 installed 98 an 2000 Upgrade, it can muck round with the Drivers etc. 

RE: Going back to 98 from Windows 2000 by Vazza on 11-23-2004 at 09:00 AM

* Vazza bangs head off wall.
Why me?

All I want to do is go back to 98. All we want to know is how to goet 2000 to restore 98 and remove itself.

Is that too much to ask?

RE: Going back to 98 from Windows 2000 by Hank on 11-23-2004 at 10:15 AM

quote:
Is that too much to ask?

could always Google ey

you wanna go back to  98? go into Control panel then go to Add/remove an you should see a Windows2000 in there which you should be able to uninstall, but dont quote me on it, as iv'e never had to do it,,, if there is,  when unisntalled it should put your 98 File system back to the way it was

RE: Going back to 98 from Windows 2000 by Vazza on 11-24-2004 at 01:06 AM

Well, I think he had a look and it seems that there is no way back (eek).He's talking about buying a whole new harddrive though and just starting again (the computer system is 4 years old but the amount of work its done, theres no shame. I think its overheard that they're planning on buying a new computer and has decided it doesn't want to play)

Anyways, thanks to all and should anything else come up, I'll let yous know

RE: RE: Going back to 98 from Windows 2000 by Hank on 11-24-2004 at 01:17 AM

quote:
Well, I think he had a look and it seems that there is no way back (eek).He's talking about buying a whole new harddrive though and just starting again (the computer system is 4 years old but the amount of work its done, theres no shame. I think its overheard that they're planning on buying a new computer and has decided it doesn't want to play)

Anyways, thanks to all and should anything else come up, I'll let yous know

seems a bit drastic  buying a New HDD just to  reinstall 98 again,  why not just format the original HDD , un les its to old?
RE: Going back to 98 from Windows 2000 by Vazza on 11-24-2004 at 11:47 AM

I don't know that it is for 98. He said about transfering data from on to the other and start again. I never undersatnd my parents.....:p

RE: Going back to 98 from Windows 2000 by Hank on 11-24-2004 at 11:50 AM

quote:
I don't know that it is for 98. He said about transfering data from on to the other and start again. I never undersatnd my parents.....:p

thats parents for ya ,  some dunno what there doing half the time .

if he does install 2000 or wants to. ( hopefully the Bios is set to Boot from  CDrom) he can install 2000 Upgrade on the HDD by following the steps.

RE: Going back to 98 from Windows 2000 by Vazza on 11-24-2004 at 12:02 PM

Yeah, but I think its 98 because the modem we have isn't compatabile with 2000 and he doesn't want to buy a new modem. So at the moment they are on a laptop with no virus protection, so lets take guess how long that will take to be cme infected (a) and so I know what I'll be doing at christmsa time (here virus, virus, virus,. I don't want to hurt you. Much)

RE: Going back to 98 from Windows 2000 by Hank on 11-24-2004 at 12:13 PM

good time to Buy one anyway ,  but if ya do, stay away from Norton .  i used to like Norton  Products, i dont use it nore will i recommend any1 use it .   

RE: Going back to 98 from Windows 2000 by thc2010 on 11-24-2004 at 01:19 PM

go to your school, make a boot disk on thier 98 machine( Start, Controll Pannel, Add Remove Programs, Make boot Disk.)

Once its finished making one, Insert it to your A: and restart.

you might need to set your boot sequence to A, newer machines Boot sequence are defualtly set on CDROM. So just press Del in when your computer is botting up and acces your Cmos Settings.

RE: Going back to 98 from Windows 2000 by Fergy on 11-26-2004 at 07:02 PM

Never Ever Upgrade 98 to 2k or XP without formatting EVER!
if you are keen on keeping 2000 (which it doesnt look like) grab all the stuf u wanna keep and burn it to cd (assuming you have a CD burner that is...) or other secure source. Format ya hard disk somehow.

I know if you boot from the xp cd it lets you format before installation, so format using that let it install. You should find your modem works

I had a similar problem, when i stepped up, the modem dialing was screwed. I formatted, Installed and it worked fine

RE: Going back to 98 from Windows 2000 by Vazza on 11-26-2004 at 07:48 PM

Thinsg sre sorted now.  He bought a new hard drive and reinstalled 98 onto and things are now fine. thanks to all