Shoutbox

iPod Mini vs. iRiVER - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER (/showthread.php?tid=34739)

iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by detn8r on 11-23-2004 at 12:51 AM

OK, so I was looking into getting an MP3 player for Christmas. I wanted to listen in style with an iPod mini, but the iRiVER also caught my attention.

Does anyone have any experiences with an iPod (or iPod Mini) and or iRiVER?

The following were what I was looking at:

Apple iPod Mini 4GB Digital Player $382.95 (after taxes - CDN)
iRiVER iFP-799T 1GB w/ FM Tuner & Recorder $322.00 (after taxes - CDN)

I've also decided to do a review: http://detn8r.info/ipod.html

Could I get anyone's opinion or inputs? And something more than just because iPod looks cool, or because it's a sexy white etc.. Thanks all :)

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by .blade// on 11-23-2004 at 01:12 AM

The Ipod Mini is a much better device than the Iriver. It's got a better interface, a long battery life and works very tightly with Itunes :)

But if you're in the market for a high-end MP3 player, I'd suggest going for a full-sized Ipod G4 if you don't mind the slightly larger size.
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?l...12451&newdeptid=19

A list of all Ipods available to Canadians can be found below:
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/subclass.asp?log...sweb17&catid=12451

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by TylerG on 11-23-2004 at 01:26 AM

Ok First I highly recomend the iPod.  One is because that it works so good with itunes and it is probably the koolest mp3 player on the market.  Another thing is you are going way to expensive.  The ipod mini is 249$.  And I would also suggest that you get an higher gig iPod.  They hold tons more and are only a little bigger.   :D

-TylerG

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by detn8r on 11-23-2004 at 01:31 AM

I don't _need_ 20GB, and I would also like to save my self the 100 dollars. Also, the difference with batteries is that the iRiVERS is easily replaceable anytime (being a AA). iPod is not. Interface is not a HUGE factor, although it's under consideration. And www.canadacomputers.com are cheaper than Futureshop and BestBuy :)

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by Underlord on 11-23-2004 at 01:34 AM

Go for the Iriver, longer battery, FM radio and voice recorder, it plays WMA, but it is only 1GB :-/. All the other features are better though :).

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by .blade// on 11-23-2004 at 01:44 AM

quote:
Originally posted by detn8r
I don't _need_ 20GB, and I would also like to save my self the 100 dollars. Also, the difference with batteries is that the iRiVERS is easily replaceable anytime (being a AA). iPod is not. Interface is not a HUGE factor, although it's under consideration. And www.canadacomputers.com are cheaper than Futureshop and BestBuy :)

There's no need to replace the battery unless you drain it completly every single day :P If you use it for say - 4 hours - 5 days a week, then recharge it at night completly, it'll last like 2-3 years. But ya, go for the Ipod, it's much better over-all IMHO, and you'll be much happier with it.
RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by TylerG on 11-23-2004 at 01:44 AM

No, I am telling you get the iPod.  Why would you get an mp3 players for the features.  It is for the music.  Ok well it is up to you but you will spend tons of money on AA's.  Ipod is the best in the world.   All in all it is da best

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by Underlord on 11-23-2004 at 01:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TylerG
Ipod is the best in the world.
Why is it the 'best'?
RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by TylerG on 11-23-2004 at 02:03 AM

It is the coolest because you an hold upto 15000 songs with just 6 0unces when it takes like a hundred pounds of cds

My bro has one and so does my other friend and both haven't regreted buying it one bit.

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by ddunk on 11-23-2004 at 02:04 AM

quote:
Originally posted by TylerG
It is the coolest because you an hold upto 15000 songs with just 6 0unces when it takes like a hundred pounds of cds

You're comparing an ipod to CD's not a different MP3 player. Theres a huge difference.
RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by TylerG on 11-23-2004 at 02:09 AM

Well you got me there I really have nothing against the other mp3s.  I just highly recomend the ipod it is really good in my opinion

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by Fraisie on 11-23-2004 at 02:12 AM

I have a iPod mini (pink :P) and I just love it ! So easy to use, works so so great with iTunes, and the perfect size. The controls are also well very done.

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by .blade// on 11-23-2004 at 02:17 AM

This might help:
I use a site called http://www.epinions.com to check people's oppinions on products. I did a quick search of the two.

Ipod Mini got 4.5/5 stars and has 37 reviews. You can read the reviews HERE

IRIVER got 5/5 stars and has2 reviews. You can read the reviews HERE

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by dotNorma on 11-23-2004 at 03:30 AM

Everyone , I would like you to meet Tyler. He is one of my good friends and I am the one with the iPod he is reffering too. Please welcome him as a member of our community and give him a chance. (He was with me when we set the house on fire.)

The main difference between the iPod and the iRiver is that the iRiver runs on alkaline replacable batteries in oppose to the iPod's rechargable battery. Replacable batteries are too much of a hassle to put up with. You would constantly have to be buying more packs (Especially if you listen constantly like I do). With an iPod you have enough juice to last you the whole day , come home and charge and be ready for the next day.

With a student discount you can buy an iPod mini for $229 off of Apple.com so I strongly suggest you do. I am faithful with my iPod , It hasn't let me down yet.

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by .blade// on 11-23-2004 at 03:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by NoName
Everyone , I would like you to meet Tyler. He is one of my good friends and I am the one with the iPod he is reffering too. Please welcome him as a member of our community and give him a chance. (He was with me when we set the house on fire.)

The main difference between the iPod and the iRiver is that the iRiver runs on alkaline replacable batteries in oppose to the iPod's rechargable battery. Replacable batteries are too much of a hassle to put up with. You would constantly have to be buying more packs (Especially if you listen constantly like I do). With an iPod you have enough juice to last you the whole day , come home and charge and be ready for the next day.

With a student discount you can buy an iPod mini for $229 off of Apple.com so I strongly suggest you do. I am faithful with my iPod , It hasn't let me down yet.

I agree that the Ipod is better, but the fact that it's rechargeable isn't the main thing because you can always buy rechargeable AA batteries (though that + the charger would run you anohter $20-$30 CAD).
RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by dotNorma on 11-23-2004 at 03:55 AM

Yes , But you would have to buy a battery recharger and additional rechargable batteries. (Which can only be used like twice.)

There is less hassle in buying an iPod :-/

(I would know , I have had 3 other MP3 players.)

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by .Roy on 11-23-2004 at 08:51 AM

.. The recorder is the only feature that really interests me in the iRiver.. It can be used a lot when u have a test or something and u can record the notes from your teacher.. as for the batteries... Uhh. you can also get rechargable batteries.. But the ipods batteris sound much beter...

If one gb is good enough for you then u are good to go :-) I like iRiver

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by saralk on 11-23-2004 at 09:07 AM

if were talking about MP3 players, take a look at this

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by eckocomplex on 11-23-2004 at 09:42 AM

I'm thinking about buy one of the iRiver portable media things but can't ship them to New Zealand :(.

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by detn8r on 11-23-2004 at 02:27 PM

Well if Fraisie has one, I must have one :P

Actually, from reviews I've read, the recording feature is teh sux (thats too bad really), and the FM turner has poor frequency oh, and apparently it has a bad battery covery.

And for the record: I do have rechargable AA battery's AND an recharger because of my digital camera ;) so that wouldn't really be the problem.

But over all, because of the 'crap' features that are loaded, I may go with the iPod, and spend the extra $60 bucks.

Thanks for all your opinions!

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by .Roy on 11-23-2004 at 02:32 PM

hmm.. WEll i agree with you then if people say that its recorder sux.. the i would spend 60 bux for 3 gb

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by FrozernFire on 11-23-2004 at 02:58 PM

still the worst thing is about the batteries in the iRiver. normal AA rechargable has quite little power in it, and iRiver will drain it fast. and 1gb of space, that's too little

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by .blade// on 11-23-2004 at 04:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by FrozernFire
still the worst thing is about the batteries in the iRiver. normal AA rechargable has quite little power in it, and iRiver will drain it fast. and 1gb of space, that's too little

Actually, my friends Mini Disc player runs off 2 AA batteries which last aprox. 72 hours :-/

Ipod is still better over-all, and you CAN buy a voice recorder  (if you really want) for it :P
RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by .Roy on 11-23-2004 at 07:02 PM

im talking about a built IN microphone :-) You can almost get a plugin for anything for the ipod.. Just look at the site and click accessories.. Wow :-) I wish i was in charge of the apple store
* .Roy takes one of each

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by Stigmata on 11-23-2004 at 07:10 PM

wait

why are we not talking about ipod mini's real competition??

??

Creative Zen Micro

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by .blade// on 11-24-2004 at 02:00 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
wait

why are we not talking about ipod mini's real competition??

??

Creative Zen Micro

That's not the point of the thread :dodgy: (There are LOTS of things competing with the Ipod, including the Sony Hard Drive player [I forget the name], the DELL Jukebox and several other players).
RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by Chestah on 11-24-2004 at 05:23 AM

I love the ipod mini's but the fact is that nearly everything else in the mp3 market has better sound quality then it, it has like 83db when other players like the creative Zen Micro has 98db.... i can't remember what measurement that is in. but the ipod mini has about 47% distortion when the creative has 5% distortion! thats the only gay thing :(
EDIT: Its called a SNR rating by the way :P

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by FrozernFire on 11-24-2004 at 05:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
Actually, my friends Mini Disc player runs off 2 AA batteries which last aprox. 72 hours

rechargable or non-rechargable?

quote:
Originally posted by Chestah
I love the ipod mini's but the fact is that nearly everything else in the mp3 market has better sound quality then it, it has like 83db when other players like the creative Zen Micro has 98db.... i can't remember what measurement that is in. but the ipod mini has about 47% distortion when the creative has 5% distortion! thats the only gay thing

the gay thing about zen micro is that it's almost the same price as the iPod G4 20GB here. i also saw zen micro 2 days ago and the screen is real small
RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by Chestah on 11-24-2004 at 05:56 AM

oh well its got a rechargable and removable battery thats a pro :)

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by bach_m on 11-24-2004 at 12:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
Ipod is still better over-all, and you CAN buy a voice recorder  (if you really want) for it

Not the mini. it doesn't have audio recording ability. Nor does the 4G,oficially
quote:
Originally posted by Chestah

I love the ipod mini's but the fact is that nearly everything else in the mp3 market has better sound quality then it, it has like 83db

Get a highquality pair of 'phones and it pumps out superb sound. And if i'm not mistaken, isn't a Decibel a measure of volume???? and anyways, since Decibels are a logarythmic function, that is a minuscule difference (.72 Db)

Also, once the iPod's battery stops working (like ANY rechargable battery), you can buy a replacement one. If it happens withtin the first year (HIGHLY unlikely) you can just send it back to Apple and they'll replace it for u. Otherwise, its easy  to change, and there'll be no warrenty to void
RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by sasquatch on 11-28-2004 at 03:00 AM

i'd go for the mini just cause it looks cooler then the iRiver in my opinion and the interface is muchhhh better, altho it would be better if it supported wma's, its pretty easy to convert to wma from mp3 if there's no DRM

if its just an extra $60 then go for the iPod by all means

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by Fergy on 11-28-2004 at 04:39 AM

there was an mp3 player advertised here in Australia
i think it was by Creative

It had a colour screen so it could view movies, pictures, etc, fm radio and of course an mp3 player :P
I think it was 40 or 80 Gb for AU$700

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by Purity on 11-28-2004 at 07:53 AM

k, i dont see y ppl need so much space n e ways
so wat its 1000 extra songs, its not liek ur gonna listen to all the songs, 256MB is good enuff for me

RE: iPod Mini vs. iRiVER by Day-V on 11-29-2004 at 02:18 PM

IRiver

Longer battery's, WMA, Radio, Recorder....

And 1GB is enough for me ^o)