Shoutbox

Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 (/showthread.php?tid=34740)

Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by Patchou on 11-23-2004 at 01:29 AM

Hey everyone!

I'm working a lot in Plus! these days and I thought that I could show you one of the new improvements (there's a lot I wanna do, I have to make sure that Plus! keeps you all interested after the release of Messenger 7 ;)). Those of you who are currently using the Custom Names feature will probably be very pleased and those who aren't may be interested in giving it a try after seeing that :). Here is the screenshot of the new Custom Names preferences panel (work-in-progress) :

[Image: attachment.php?pid=338979]

As you can see, lots of new options are present. Special formatting options can be set for each name and you can ask Messenger Plus! to automatically attach the original name to the custom name (which is done with a grey color as you can see in the contact list). For those who want to customise their contact's names even more, formatting codes can even be inserted in each name by using the usual shortcuts (Ctrl+K, Ctrl+B ... this is already in test in the current beta). And last but not least, the new preferences panel allows to quickly change the names of every contact by just pressing "enter" in the name editbox. Also, note that you are not forced to type a custom name for the formatting options to be applied, you can simply chose to leave the current name as chosen by your contact and color it the way you want.

Of course, there's more to come in this new version, but I hope this improvement will already be enough to interest some of you :).

Patchou

RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by Underlord on 11-23-2004 at 01:36 AM

Nice work Patch (Y).

RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by Caboose on 11-23-2004 at 01:41 AM

Good job Patchou, I might have to switch to 7.0 for BOTH of my accounts now :)

RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by Underlord on 11-23-2004 at 02:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Caboose
Good job Patchou, I might have to switch to 7.0 for BOTH of my accounts now :)

Unless you are an official beta tester it is illegal to use MSN Messenger 7 Beta :).
RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by Chrono on 11-23-2004 at 03:14 AM

looking good pitcho (Y)
Well done :happy:

RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by matty on 11-23-2004 at 04:00 AM

:O! My idea displayed as a new feature. Good work Patch... it just goes to show if a user has a good suggestion Patchou will add it time permitting.

RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by gnownoskcid on 11-23-2004 at 04:18 AM

I completely want the original name in custom name! :drool:

RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by Patchou on 11-23-2004 at 06:55 AM

quote:
My idea displayed as a new feature
lol! :) Just to make sure everyone understands what Matty is talking about, he's referring to the "Use the formatting options while chatting" which is indeed an idea that I got from him (but not the whole new other stuff :p).
RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by chris on 11-23-2004 at 07:20 AM

Is there anychance that emoticons will be able to be displayed with custome names? just curious i pretty much forgot about them originaly being there without custome names but it would just be cool nothing big

RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by _Humphreys on 11-23-2004 at 08:27 AM

quote:
Good job Patchou, I might have to switch to 7.0 for BOTH of my accounts now

You mean on another computer right? As when you install MSN 7 it takes over all of your accounts.
RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by Sunshine on 11-23-2004 at 10:16 AM

Lovely improvements :D

RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by user27089 on 11-23-2004 at 11:05 AM

I like the improvements, it should be enabled for 6.2 though, I really don't like MSN 7.0

RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by Caboose on 11-23-2004 at 02:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Attitude Extreme
You mean on another computer right? As when you install MSN 7 it takes over all of your accounts.
No, I renamed my MSN Messenger folder to 'MSN Messenger 6.2', then I installed 7.0 (which installed in the 'MSN Messenger' folder), then I applied the Mess patch and renamed the folders so that 6.2 was my default. I use it more then 7.0 for my main account :)
RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by KeyStorm on 11-23-2004 at 03:27 PM

I will start to use them more from now on, I promise :P

Looks nice, Patch! :)

RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by toddy on 11-23-2004 at 03:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I like the improvements, it should be enabled for 6.2 though, I really don't like MSN 7.0

its impossible to enable it for msn 6. it can only be done with 7 beacuse of the change to how the main menu shows contacts names (eg emoticons can be seen in your contact list)
RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by CookieRevised on 11-23-2004 at 05:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gnownoskcid
I completely want the original name in custom name! :drool:
That is already possible since a very very long time. use the tags (!N) or (!M) in the custom name for that...

And that's also my only "negative" point to the preview: the option "attach original name". Why is it there when you can use (!N)? Won't this confuse many people and keep people even more unaware that they can use (!N)?
RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by .blade// on 11-23-2004 at 05:25 PM

Good work Patchou :banana:

Btw, we'll never lose interest ;)

RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by Patchou on 11-23-2004 at 06:10 PM

quote:
Why is it there when you can use (!N)?
Almost nobody knows you can use this tag so I decided to add a clear option todo that. Also, the option will do automtic formatting in the contact list so it has its own purpose :).
RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by Weyzza on 11-23-2004 at 06:15 PM

Nice (Y)

I hope someone will make a random custom color generator in the future :p

Edit:
Well, I have another silly idea for you, Patchou.
We'll have an option to attach the original name in the contact list.
How about an option to enable the original name in the contact list, while we have just custom names in conversation windows?

RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by uberdosis on 11-23-2004 at 06:15 PM

Can't want to get my pc back and onto MSN7 again.  Nice work Patchou.

RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by CookieRevised on 11-23-2004 at 06:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Almost nobody knows you can use this tag so I decided to add a clear option todo that. Also, the option will do automtic formatting in the contact list so it has its own purpose :).
I see, and I thought already that was the reason behind it ;) Anyways, can I make a suggestion in that case (without knowing how it is implemented atm of course, so don't shoot me :p)

If that option is ticked, that you visibly see the change in the textbox:
Without the option ticked: "Sockie"
With the option ticked: "Sockie $$- (!N)$$"
$$ meaning those colorcodes or (!FC) family tags if you like...

In this way, people will see that you can use the tag, and also know that you can change it's position and do other stuff with it if you like. Cause those requests are sure to come (eg: "I love the new options, but I want the real name of my contact to show between parenthesis, can an option be made for that?")

Or another tip to make people aware of the (!N) tag in custom names: tooltips. Just like in other textboxes (eg: the quicktexts) show a tooltip when the mouse is over the textbox, saying that you can use (!N) and (!M) tags.

Just some thoughts ;)
RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by Patchou on 11-23-2004 at 08:41 PM

Tooltips have already been added, however, I cannot change the text when the option is checked... most people wouldn't understand why weird characters suddendly appeared in the name and would try to remove then, thinking it's a bug

RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by _Humphreys on 11-23-2004 at 08:59 PM

Great feature to add to the already great custom names feature! I am a pluser! to the end Patchou. With all these new features you are willing to make and try out why shouldn't I?:D

RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by CookieRevised on 11-23-2004 at 09:58 PM

quote:
Toottips have already been added, however, I cannot change the text when the option is checked... most people wouldn't undersand why weird characters suddendly appeared in the name and would try to remove then, thinking it's a bug
If they click the option, they see it changing, so they know were it came from, no? (and when you untick it, that specific string at the end is removed again)

And the weird characters can be the more user friendly (FC)-style tags (just like they are used in the default quicktexts and were people can "pick" them up and know of the existance). Also, when people change their nick with color, they also see the weird characters, so that's just the same. Almost everybody knows how to make a colored nickname, so I don't think that showing the weird characters (or the tags) would be a problem.

What I mean is that people still wont know/be aware of the use and possebilities of the name tag (!N) with the current method (aka they're kept in the dark).

PS: sorry for the critic, it is meant positive though...
RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by Hank on 11-24-2004 at 01:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor

agree with you there, the winks are a Bit stupid  also i think

RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by The One on 11-25-2004 at 07:12 AM

MSN 6 doesnt have the option to show colours and emos in the Contact List, so thats not an option.
~~
Oh, and Underlord, name ONE person for me that actually cares about that sort of stuff... must be an official beta test... </end rant>

EDIT:  Just found an annoying... *bug*

For this example, I'm gonna be using Caboose...

I put in the Custom names: Caboose - (!N)

However, it comes out, with his name... and colour formatting... but no Emos.  However, if I don't use a Custom Name... it works fine.  All emos, all formatting.

RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by CookieRevised on 11-25-2004 at 02:02 PM

[OFF TOPIC]

quote:
Originally posted by The One
Oh, and Underlord, name ONE person for me that actually cares about that sort of stuff... must be an official beta test...
Everyone should care!!! It is by leaking that Microsoft is forced to bring out versions sooner then they intend to do, and thus the released version would be put together too fast and too crappy, resulting in horrible bugs like you've seen in 6.0.

May I quote Patchou also:

quote:
this kind of thing is very damaging and we saw it last year when Microsoft was forced torelease version 6.0 without all the features it was supposed to have because of this kind of pressure.

Using leaked illegal version harms ALL users. :@

quote:
Originally posted by The One
EDIT:  Just found an annoying... *bug*
1) This is not a bug report thread, nor the bug report forum!
2) How can you test this new feature when it isn't released yet?

RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by sh0rty on 12-16-2004 at 09:43 AM

Just wondering when the full verion of plus 3.40 would be done? like with the extra custom name features etc.

RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by Patchou on 12-16-2004 at 06:29 PM

Probably by theend of January. I'm working a lot on some new features and I won't release thenew version before it's been properly tested (so itcould go to February).

RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by Jimcando on 12-16-2004 at 08:26 PM

brilliant idea to have the "attach original name" on the end 'cause then when people ask me if i like their nickname, i dont have to explain Plus! to them

RE: Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40 by sh0rty on 12-16-2004 at 11:45 PM

YAY! so not long to wait now! patchou u rock!!!!