Shoutbox

- Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: (/showthread.php?tid=34770)

by saralk on 11-23-2004 at 06:09 PM

I have £500 to spend, either on a laptop or a desktop.

I dont really need a powerfull pc, something that I can do work on, surf the net, music etc...

I'd like to have wireless networking on it too.

What do you think i should get?

by Weyzza on 11-23-2004 at 07:07 PM

I don't know if you can get a decent computer with that amount of money.

But, if you have already got a desktop, get a laptop (if it's possible).
If I were you, I might upgrade my desktop.

by Stigmata on 11-23-2004 at 07:23 PM

best bet is too look around at local computer fairs

im not sure if ur back from your trip :S

but im sure there are some once a month near Wrexham..

but, evesham computers are currently doing a clearence on some pcs/laptops

Laptop around £500

by .blade// on 11-23-2004 at 07:36 PM

You can get a Dell Inspiron 1100 for £529, but if at all possible, I'd suggest spending another £200 to get a MUCH better PC over-all.

by saralk on 11-23-2004 at 07:38 PM

are you from near wrexham?

i guess there are the fairs at northgate arena, however i'd rather get it with a guarentee just to be safe

by .blade// on 11-23-2004 at 07:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
are you from near wrexham?

i guess there are the fairs at northgate arena, however i'd rather get it with a guarentee just to be safe

Dell has a very good Waranty service.
by Stigmata on 11-23-2004 at 07:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
Dell has a very good Waranty service.

yeh but as they removed all there call centres from india to england, things have got alot worse...

ill see if i can find the article from somewhere :s
think it was on neowin
by saralk on 11-23-2004 at 07:54 PM

that could work to my advantage, since loads of call centres are in gurgaon (which is a really fast developing part of india) they mostly speak Hindi :P

I might get a Dell, or an IBM, or ill go to my local pc shop and see wot they've got.

quote:
Originally posted by Stigmata
but im sure there are some once a month near Wrexham..

are you from around wrexham?

by Stigmata on 11-23-2004 at 07:56 PM

nope sorry :)

and sorry, cant find article either :(

by Garndell on 11-23-2004 at 09:34 PM

Novatech

Good PC's for a reasonable price and top quality support.  On a side note you will find more bang for your £ from AMD based systems.

by .Roy on 11-24-2004 at 06:48 AM

why dont you barrow like 200 euros like Blade said and then you will have enough money to get a good laptop :-)

Pentium M is good. There is a wireless internet card installed inside the computer so when you go on travels.. and your friends have a router BAM you have internet lol :-)

My father has one and it really looks good :-)

by saralk on 11-24-2004 at 11:28 AM

What about this PC:

Processor Type ICPM 
   Processor speed 1500 mhz
   Memory Size 512 mb
   Memory Type DDR 
   Hard Drive Capacity 80 Gb
   Optical Drives DVD±RW Dual Layer 
   CD-ROM Speed 24 x
   CD-RW Speed. READ 24X, WRITE 10X x
   DVD-ROM Speed 8 x
   DVD-RW Speed READ 6X, WRITE 2.4X x
   Floppy Disk Drive Not Specified
   Screen Size/Type 12.1 WXGA 
   Graphics Card Type Shared 
   Graphics Memory 128 MB mb
   TV-out Yes
   Sound Type AC97 
   Modem Type V.90/56k 
   Wireless Enabled Yes
   No. of USB Connections 3 
   No. of Firewire Connections 1 
   Infrared Port Included Not Specified
   Other Interfaces 10/100 Interface 
   Battery Type LI-ION 
   Battery life (up to) 2.4 hours
   Software Titles Included WORKS 8.0, POWER CINEMA 
   Operating system WIN XP HOME W/ SP2 
   Weight 1.7 kg
   Height 28 mm
   Width 303 mm
   Depth 225 mm
   Colour SILVER 

£829

The reason I said £500 is cos thats the amount of compensation im getting from air india, cos our flight was delayed 24 hours.

by user27089 on 11-24-2004 at 12:53 PM

I have an Idea, why don't you go around fairs and stuff, and build your own pc, if you please, sell it for more than you bought the parts for, and buy a pc, or just make an even better one than you did before?

by FrozernFire on 11-24-2004 at 02:26 PM

that's a bit too troublesome? but i agree with traxor. building your own pc is cheaper if you know where to look for the parts

by .blade// on 11-24-2004 at 04:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by FrozernFire
that's a bit too troublesome? but i agree with traxor. building your own pc is cheaper if you know where to look for the parts

:dodgy: Not a whole lot of people who want or, or even can build their own laptop :P
by saralk on 11-24-2004 at 07:17 PM

I want a laptop preferably.

Ive found this laptop which is pretty good IMO, apart from the processor (1.4ghz Celeron M)

Intel Celeron Pentium 1.4GHz (Celeron M Processor)
256MB fast DDR RAM
40GB Hard drive
56K V.90 Data/Fax/Modem
3 in 1 DVDRW, CDRW and DVD ROM (+RW)
12.1” Widescreen TFT screen
Interated Graphics with 64MB Shared DDR RAM
2 channel Audio (On Board)
3 x USB 2.0 ports,1 x Firewire/Mini DV (IEEE 1394), 1 x VGA monitor out, 1 x Modem (RJ11), 1 x LAN (RJ45), 1 x PCMCIA Slot(Type II only), 1 x Headphone out, 1 x Microphone in, Integrated card reader for Sony Momory stick/pro, SD/Multimedia
Weight: 1.85kg
1.5 hours (approximately each battery), 2 batteries supplied

Its also got wi-fi (the "g" standard)

Edit: £699

by .blade// on 11-24-2004 at 07:31 PM

quote:
I want a laptop preferably.

Ive found this laptop which is pretty good IMO, apart from the processor (1.4ghz Celeron M)

Intel Celeron Pentium 1.4GHz (Celeron M Processor)
256MB fast DDR RAM
40GB Hard drive
56K V.90 Data/Fax/Modem
3 in 1 DVDRW, CDRW and DVD ROM (+RW)
12.1” Widescreen TFT screen
Interated Graphics with 64MB Shared DDR RAM
2 channel Audio (On Board)
3 x USB 2.0 ports,1 x Firewire/Mini DV (IEEE 1394), 1 x VGA monitor out, 1 x Modem (RJ11), 1 x LAN (RJ45), 1 x PCMCIA Slot(Type II only), 1 x Headphone out, 1 x Microphone in, Integrated card reader for Sony Momory stick/pro, SD/Multimedia
Weight: 1.85kg
1.5 hours (approximately each battery), 2 batteries supplied

Its also got wi-fi (the "g" standard)

Edit: £699

If you can help it, DO NOT get a Celeron - they under perform. A processor at 1.4 Ghz will perform at aprox. 1 Ghz :dodgy:
by saralk on 11-25-2004 at 09:15 PM

Well we went into the shop, with a budget of £500, and came out spending £1700!

[Image: VAIO-VGC-M1_4.jpg]
We got a Sony Vaio VGC-M1
Its like a dekstop/laptop hybrid

Its really small, and compact, all the components are mobile, but it doesnt have a batter and u wudn be able to carry it around with you.

But i love it, it has a fold up keyboard, that when folded down is a pc, when folded up is a hifi (1/3rd of the screen is still shown and acts as an equalizer/control etc...

I also got a HP Scanner/Printer with a Memory Card slot for printing digital pictures, a fuji-film 3mp camera, office xp and a mp3 player.

by .blade// on 11-25-2004 at 09:21 PM

quote:
Well we went into the shop, with a budget of £500, and came out spending £1700!

[Image: VAIO-VGC-M1_4.jpg]
We got a Sony Vaio VGC-M1
Its like a dekstop/laptop hybrid

Its really small, and compact, all the components are mobile, but it doesnt have a batter and u wudn be able to carry it around with you.

But i love it, it has a fold up keyboard, that when folded down is a pc, when folded up is a hifi (1/3rd of the screen is still shown and acts as an equalizer/control etc...

I also got a HP Scanner/Printer with a Memory Card slot for printing digital pictures, a fuji-film 3mp camera, office xp and a mp3 player.

Nice computer.

Budget? What budget? :P
by Plik on 11-25-2004 at 09:25 PM

Its nice
Except...

It has ear's :refuck:

quote:
That sounds very dodgy :dodgy:
by .blade// on 11-25-2004 at 09:33 PM

quote:

It's just like an XBOX :refuck: :P

My question is: What's the point of getting on that small if it's not portable :-/
by _Humphreys on 11-25-2004 at 09:39 PM

That last laptop looks rather cool..... but why have a laptop if it's not easily portable *-)?

by saralk on 11-25-2004 at 09:44 PM

its not a laptop, its got the insides of a laptop, in a desktop

by user27089 on 11-25-2004 at 10:37 PM

quote:
its not a laptop, its got the insides of a laptop, in a desktop

Then, if its not portable, whats the point!

You have a laptop cause its small and portable, but then you get a desktop cause its small, and is a laptop, except you can't carry it around, I really can't see the point in having an 'almost' laptop for a desktop.. It doesn't make any sence to me.. and it has ears...

Corn has ears, and we shouldn't eat corn, we can't digest it, thats a sign.. lol
by saralk on 11-26-2004 at 09:08 AM

the main point is that it has a really small footprint, im gona have the pc in my room, so i want as much space as possible when im not using it.

by .Roy on 11-26-2004 at 11:42 AM

quote:

Quick Reply     

Room is important but thats not the point of a LAPTOP..

As you can notice by the name LAP top.. meaning it should be small and portible and be able to be on your lap... So there is no point in saving a bit of room for a Laptop that isnt portible.. sigh

by saralk on 11-26-2004 at 06:13 PM

it isnt a laptop!!!!

its a very small desktop

Anyway, im using it right now, and it is amazing, i will post pictures later on.

by .blade// on 11-26-2004 at 06:24 PM

quote:
it isnt a laptop!!!!

its a very small desktop

Anyway, im using it right now, and it is amazing, i will post pictures later on.

BTW dude, that computer is NOT upgradeable (unless the company that made it sells upgrades + upgrade install service), and if you try to play games on it - be careful, you might deep fry all the parts (they're so close together that if one overheats, they all overheat).
by saralk on 11-26-2004 at 06:33 PM

i dont really play games on my pc, i use the xbox, also I have a five year onsite insurance policy, so if something happened, its not my problem and OMG THIS COMPUTER IS SO AMAZING

by .blade// on 11-26-2004 at 06:48 PM

quote:
i dont really play games on my pc, i use the xbox, also I have a five year onsite insurance policy, so if something happened, its not my problem and OMG THIS COMPUTER IS SO AMAZING

It is your problem if you fry your HDD and lose all your data :P
by saralk on 11-26-2004 at 06:55 PM

ill backup with the DVD write :p

by user27089 on 11-26-2004 at 10:32 PM

quote:

That can't always work though, sometimes the disks get broken, there is nothing safe ever, To be honest, I can't belive you bought the 'desktop' that is disguised as a 'laptop'.. You may aswell have bought a laptop for the same price, if not cheaper......
by .blade// on 11-26-2004 at 10:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
quote:

That can't always work though, sometimes the disks get broken, there is nothing safe ever, To be honest, I can't belive you bought the 'desktop' that is disguised as a 'laptop'.. You may aswell have bought a laptop for the same price, if not cheaper......

I agree, there is no reason to buy a desktop that small - get a laptop instead. Parts are lower performance, over-heat easier and other problems. The only reason to get a desktop like that is to (perhaps) mount it in a vehicle.

Getting a desktop like that is like buying a Mclaren F1 with a V2, 30 hp engine in it :dodgy:
by user27089 on 11-26-2004 at 10:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
quote:

I agree, there is no reason to buy a desktop that small - get a laptop instead. Parts are lower performance, over-heat easier and other problems. The only reason to get a desktop like that is to (perhaps) mount it in a vehicle.

Getting a desktop like that is like buying a Mclaren F1 with a V2, 30 hp engine in it :dodgy:

That is a very good example, it seriously is like buying an XBOX with atari 2000 interior.
by saralk on 11-27-2004 at 09:14 AM

I wanted a PC in my room, and my room is tiny, so buying a PC which had a box, screen, keyboard, mouse and speakers all seperate would be too big in total (especially considering im gona install a printer/scanner in a min).

A Laptop this price wouldnt have specs like this (and i dont think there is any laptop with 160GB HDD)

Also it will act as my TV too.

by user27089 on 11-27-2004 at 09:29 AM

I'm pretty sure that you could've bought a laptop for the same specs as this one, and use it as a tv :dodgy:.. But in the end, its completely your choice whether or not you want to buy this desktop laptop thing.

by saralk on 11-27-2004 at 09:36 AM

ive looked any you can't get a laptop with 160gb HDD and a PCTV card, at least not for £999

by Pipish on 11-27-2004 at 09:59 AM

I reckon its a cool computer vio's are very reliable my dad has one there great tho he doea have a laptop but he is going for the big screen thinks now so yer good choice saralk money well spent