Shoutbox

Should I spend $1850 on this laptop? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Should I spend $1850 on this laptop? (/showthread.php?tid=34779)

Should I spend $1850 on this laptop? by .blade// on 11-23-2004 at 08:43 PM

(Note: I deleted my other Laptop thread)

I've been thinking about it - and I don't want to buy a low-end laptop. I want to get a REALLY GOOD one. What do you guys think of this one - it's $1850 (on sale) which is a lot more than I wanted to spend, but I mean....:drool: @ it.....:

[Image: 10051235X.jpg]
Click here to view the original page

HP ZV5325CA Pentium 4 HT 3.0GHz Notebook

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.0Ghz w/ Hyper Threading technology (:drool:)
System Bus: 800MHz
Ram: 512MB DDR SDRAM
HDD: 80GB @ 4200RPM
Video Card: 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 (:drool:)
Drive(s): DVD+R/RW Drive
Sound: 16-bit Sound Blaster Pro-Compatible Audio, Internal Harman/Kardon Speakers, AC Audio Link, Volume Control Button And Mute Button
Screen: 15.4" WXGA Widescreen
Networking: 10/100, 802.11b/g High-Speed Wireless
Modem: Yes - useless 56K V.90 :refuck:
PC Card slots: 1 Type 1 Or 2
Battery: Lithium-Ion lasting avg. 3 hours
Dimensions: 36.3 ( W ) x 4.6 ( H ) x 29.5 ( D ) cm
Weight: 3.6 kg
I/O Ports: 3 x USB 2.0, 1 x Parallel SPP/ECP standard interface, 1 x Headphone-Out, 1 x Microphone-In, 1 x VGA (15-pin), 1 x TV-Out (S-video), 1 x RJ-11 (modem), 1 x RJ -45 (LAN), 1 x Notebook Expansion Port

Total Cost (Canadian Funds):
$1850 + taxes (7% GST + 7.5% PST) = aprox. $2100

You guys think I should go for it? (I need it for school work, surfing, games, video watching/editing, image editing, etc. [basically everything :P]) :o

RE: Should I spend $1850 on this laptop? by saralk on 11-23-2004 at 08:54 PM

Thats £835 british pounds, which is fantastic (Y) go for it!

RE: Should I spend $1850 on this laptop? by user27089 on 11-23-2004 at 08:55 PM

THats amazing :| If I was canadian, I'd definitely buy it!

RE: Should I spend $1850 on this laptop? by _Humphreys on 11-23-2004 at 09:04 PM

That is amazing I would buy it!:drool: You can always give it too me when you are finished with it (hopefully soon!);). The price is really cheap I mean half of the crap they are selling on the market are the same price.

RE: Should I spend $1850 on this laptop? by Garndell on 11-23-2004 at 09:48 PM

For $100CDN less you can get a similar Laptop with a Radeon 9600 Graphics chipset.  A bit more capable of games.  If thats your thing.

Averatec 6130HS Pentium 4 3.0GHz Notebook

RE: Should I spend $1850 on this laptop? by .blade// on 11-23-2004 at 10:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Garndell
For $100CDN less you can get a similar Laptop with a Radeon 9600 Graphics chipset.  A bit more capable of games.  If thats your thing.

Averatec 6130HS Pentium 4 3.0GHz Notebook

Firstly, Averatec isn't as great of a brand
Seccondly, the processor is not an HT processor
Thirdly, 20 GB smaller HDD
Fourthly, 1 hour shorter battery life
Lastly, it's a 9600 chipset, but it doesn't list the size. Besides, the 9000 @ 128 MB should be fine....

Thx for takling the time to look for me though :banana:
RE: Should I spend $1850 on this laptop? by ranicx on 11-24-2004 at 07:13 AM

personaly.. id just go for a desktop computer if u can.. better parts for much less and u get more for ya money... also alot easyer to customise ya computer and get what parts u want, and u can actualy upgrade the parts in it easly.. but if u wana be able to take the comp around with u easly.. then get a laptop. but if u dont need it for that, then id advise to stay away from laptops if u realy want a good computer for less.

RE: Should I spend $1850 on this laptop? by .Roy on 11-24-2004 at 08:16 AM

ok that looks like a good laptop i would get it if i had the money but i already have one but its a pentium 2 :-P. If you have the money to spend i would also go for the laptop :-)

Its better then my desktop lol :-P good luck getting it

RE: Should I spend $1850 on this laptop? by .blade// on 11-24-2004 at 04:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by ranicx
personaly.. id just go for a desktop computer if u can.. better parts for much less and u get more for ya money... also alot easyer to customise ya computer and get what parts u want, and u can actualy upgrade the parts in it easly.. but if u wana be able to take the comp around with u easly.. then get a laptop. but if u dont need it for that, then id advise to stay away from laptops if u realy want a good computer for less.

:dodgy: I have 2 desktop computers, I need a laptop :P

quote:
Originally posted by DureX
ok that looks like a good laptop i would get it if i had the money but i already have one but its a pentium 2 :-P. If you have the money to spend i would also go for the laptop :-)

Its better then my desktop lol :-P good luck getting it

Ya - it all comes down to money :dodgy:....:P
RE: Should I spend $1850 on this laptop? by user27089 on 11-24-2004 at 05:35 PM

The only thing that I don't like about it, is the fact that its an intel, i'm  an AMD Athlon person myself, they run better, faster, smoooooother!

RE: Should I spend $1850 on this laptop? by .blade// on 11-24-2004 at 07:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
The only thing that I don't like about it, is the fact that its an intel, i'm  an AMD Athlon person myself, they run better, faster, smoooooother!

The AMD 64 bit processor is very good, but the earlier ones aren't any better than P4's.
RE: Should I spend $1850 on this laptop? by Pr0xY on 11-25-2004 at 04:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
:dodgy: I have 2 desktop computers, I need a laptop:P
gee some is is spoaled...:P

nah j/k blade, for what you get with it, and the cost,  it is a good deal.  Now after the taxes(...:dodgy: tax), $2100 is  alittle to much for me.  but maybe you have more money then I do, so its prob not that big of a deal for you
RE: Should I spend $1850 on this laptop? by .blade// on 11-25-2004 at 04:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Pr0xY
quote:

nah j/k blade, for what you get with it, and the cost,  it is a good deal.  Now after the taxes(...:dodgy: tax), $2100 is  alittle to much for me.  but maybe you have more money then I do, so its prob not that big of a deal for you

:lol: I REALLY doubt I have more money than you :P This would be a 1 time thing :P

Anyways, I've decided not to get it atm. I'm going to wait until I pay my car off first :banana:
RE: Should I spend $1850 on this laptop? by wj on 11-25-2004 at 06:13 AM

A. Proc speed doesnt matter at this point for a laptop

quote:
If your going to get a laptop the proc speed isnt going to matter, it's all in the graphics chipset. For the most part asides from being significantly cheaper, slower is better for a laptop. The proc generates enough heat to burn your skin though disapated through a heat sync and a fan, it is still very hot and not comfortable to have on your lap.

B. HP is shit. Nuff said

C. Intels are slower and more battery intensive when it comes

D. Good idea paying of the car

E. If you really need a laptop, Take a look at http://www.motioncomputing.com/ (I think). Tablets are nice if all you really need is a mobile system. Lots of fun!

F. Spend $400 and install a computer in your cavalier.
RE: Should I spend $1850 on this laptop? by .Roy on 11-25-2004 at 06:41 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

:lol: I REALLY doubt I have more money than you :P This would be a 1 time thing :P

Anyways, I've decided not to get it atm. I'm going to wait until I pay my car off first :banana:

:-( If i were you  id get the laptop! pay off the car later :-)
RE: Should I spend $1850 on this laptop? by Chestah on 11-25-2004 at 08:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DureX
quote:
quote:
quote:

:-( If i were you  id get the laptop! pay off the car later :-)
lol thats if he wants to be in debt longer :P