Shoutbox

one billion dollars for Halo 2 !!! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: one billion dollars for Halo 2 !!! (/showthread.php?tid=34794)

one billion dollars for Halo 2 !!! by 3van on 11-24-2004 at 12:21 PM

I just heard that Microsoft corp. sued a man one billion dollars for somehow putting the halo 2 game on the internet (i WANT that!!!!;)) is that really true??? anyway... halo 2 would be HUGE like,... 2 or 3 gigs maybe...... so... is that really true??

RE: one billion dollars for Halo 2 !!! by user27089 on 11-24-2004 at 12:49 PM

I think that this is probably a rumour, I doubt that they would be able to sue the man for the mere fact that hardly anyone has that money, and it would take everything to pay it up, also, afaik, you can only be sued for your net worth.

You could probably find halo 2, but I wouldn't download it if I were you.

RE: one billion dollars for Halo 2 !!! by saralk on 11-24-2004 at 01:58 PM

i heard that they were suing him $10k per leaked copy.

Why dont u just buy the game :-S

RE: one billion dollars for Halo 2 !!! by Caboose on 11-24-2004 at 02:08 PM

If it was a PC game, it would be at least EASY to play a downloaded copy... but the Xbox is quite harder, what with the modding and such... I don't know why they just don't buy the damn thing :dodgy:

Anyway, $1 billion seems like a hell of a lot. And it would probably be about 4 GB, since the Xbox DVD can hold 4.7 GB... :P

RE: one billion dollars for Halo 2 !!! by The One on 11-24-2004 at 03:29 PM

Meh, it was actually about 2.7 GB compressed, but then it had to be ripped to a DVD, and a bunch of other stuff done to the Xbox so that it would play a DVD that didnt have a special security signature or some crap...

Edit:  Certain... *sites* tell me that it is just over 2800 MB.

Meh, One BILLION?  I think not.  Considering they made about 100 million on the first day... one billion seems like a lot.

RE: one billion dollars for Halo 2 !!! by 3van on 11-25-2004 at 12:16 AM

lol
yeah i think it would just be better to buy the game :)
i mean.... dling a 3 gig file, modding it and alll that crap... it would be pretty hard...

RE: one billion dollars for Halo 2 !!! by .blade// on 11-25-2004 at 12:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by 3van
lol
yeah i think it would just be better to buy the game :)
i mean.... dling a 3 gig file, modding it and alll that crap... it would be pretty hard...

You need to have a modded xbox to play downlaoded/burned games anyways (which is also illegal).
RE: one billion dollars for Halo 2 !!! by saralk on 11-25-2004 at 09:07 AM

my friend said $7.6mil

RE: one billion dollars for Halo 2 !!! by Underlord on 11-25-2004 at 09:21 AM

I doubt the person who leaked Halo 2  would have that much money.

RE: one billion dollars for Halo 2 !!! by CookieRevised on 11-25-2004 at 01:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I doubt that they would be able to sue the man for the mere fact that hardly anyone has that money
That isn't a reason why they can't sue him for that amount of money. You can sue anyone for anything. It's the judge who decides. (although 1 billion is a bit absurd)

quote:
Originally posted by 3van
anyway... halo 2 would be HUGE like,... 2 or 3 gigs maybe...... so... is that really true??
Full movies, games, etc. from multiple GB big are "shared" illegaly every second around world. This is very possible; log into an P2P network and you'll see that several GB's aren't any problem...

quote:
Originally posted by Caboose
but the Xbox is quite harder, what with the modding and such...
quote:
Originally posted by The One
but then it had to be ripped to a DVD, and a bunch of other stuff done to the Xbox so that it would play a DVD that didnt have a special security signature or some crap...
Believe me, that's all taken care of when you download such illegal stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by Caboose
And it would probably be about 4 GB, since the Xbox DVD can hold 4.7 GB...
Any single layered DVD can hold up 4.7 GB, the Xbox DVD's aren't anything special. This also doesn't mean that the game is 4GB.

quote:
Originally posted by blade
You need to have a modded xbox to play downlaoded/burned games anyways (which is also illegal).
Not always, you can make a perfect 1-to-1 copy of DVD's, CD's, etc. (including copy protection!). And there are also things like emulators for the PC (and they do work).

All this just to say, that doing all this illegal crap is very easy and doesn't require anything hard to do. This also means that fighting such activity is extremely hard to do for companies and the law. Although measures are taken and yes people get sued all the time for doing such things (in masses).

btw, the German hacker who leaked Halo 2 Half-Life 2 before it was finished is now behind the bars for a while and had to pay a huge fine. And I also heared/read of another case were someone was selling copied discs on the black market, he also won some freetime behind the bars and a fine...

EDIT: The One, yeah, sorry... :$  it was Half-Life 2....
RE: one billion dollars for Halo 2 !!! by Purity on 11-26-2004 at 11:04 PM

halo 2 was infact leaked, so was san andreas...and we all know messenger 7.0, halo 2 was on some warez sites and Warez P2P and my limewire

RE: one billion dollars for Halo 2 !!! by rock_boi on 11-26-2004 at 11:07 PM

that lots of money

RE: one billion dollars for Halo 2 !!! by The One on 11-28-2004 at 04:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
btw, the German hacker who leaked Halo 2 before it was finished is now behind the bars for a while and had to pay a huge fine.
You mean Half-Life 2, right?  The 'Axel G' fella.  Silly Hackers... :dodgy:

RE: one billion dollars for Halo 2 !!! by Day-V on 11-28-2004 at 02:34 PM

And if the person don't have 1 billion, what than ? 8-)

RE: one billion dollars for Halo 2 !!! by Pr0xY on 11-28-2004 at 03:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Day-V
And if the person don't have 1 billion, what than ? 8-)
Well first off they are not sueing him for a billion dollars, they aren't that stupid, and they know it would be pointless cause one, the guy would never guy would never be able to pay the whole fine, and two, the judge wouldn't set the legal fine to that much money anyways. 

But to answer your question, if a person gets a fine, and they cant pay it, they sell all his stuff, and I mean ALL, even shoes and socks.  He basically has nothing.  The guy would then be happy if he got put in jail, cause he'd have more things in there then he would outside in society.