Shoutbox

Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist (/showthread.php?tid=34914)

Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by Skit3000 on 11-27-2004 at 04:03 PM

Hello all,

After running MSN Messenger 7 a few times, I was wondering if I could change some of the XML files inside the .exe to show people their avatars into my buddylist. Unfortunately, I didn't get it to work, but may there be a chance that something like this will be added into the next (with MSN 7 compatible) MsgPlus? :) I think this will really improve the quality of MSN, since you can see who's who right away, without having to look at their names... :)

[Image: attachment.php?pid=340804]

(See the attachment for an example of what I mean.)

Edit: Attachment is shown above... :)

RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by _Humphreys on 11-27-2004 at 05:09 PM

In the MSN 7 BETA when you hover the mouse pointer over people it shows you their dp (it's called the contacts card) so why would you want to do that when you already have a similar neater feature?

RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by Plik on 11-27-2004 at 05:10 PM

IMO, That would take up so much space and make the contact list look messy.
You can just use the contact cards if you really must see there display pic.

RE: RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by Skit3000 on 11-27-2004 at 05:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by madman66
IMO, That would take up so much space and make the contact list look messy.
You can just use the contact cards if you really must see there display pic.

Yes, you can look at the contact cards if you want to see the display pictures, but right now, you can also just open a conversation window. I think that it would be nicer to just have all these display pictures shown in your buddylist, especially because with MSN 7, you will also see the display pictures on the popup windows... :)

RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by x2zen on 11-27-2004 at 05:17 PM

That will never be done.

Lets say that you have 70 people online, then your computer has to download every single one of the 70 DP, that could get nasty. And if you have a 56 K connection (I have 1Mbit), then it would take forever.

Edit:

quote:
From an "old" news on mess.be (The week of October 31 (2004)

UPDATE: I just received a major heads up from Bot2K3's Inky which the unlearned me is very thankful for. Thumbnail Display Pictures would NOT be protocol/server specific. The client has to support the little thumbnails and right now it doesn't. Inky underlines that putting thumbnail pictures on the contact list will cause considerable bandwidth usage: "Try downloading 150 DP's on a 56k modem upon signing in." And he adds: "A nicklinei is maybe only 20 pixels in height. A thumbnail of that size is too malformed to even be able to see something." He's got two good points there and I guess I was a bit over-enthusiastic when I saw all the other estimated features included.

RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by _Humphreys on 11-27-2004 at 05:21 PM

quote:
That will never be done.

Lets say that you have 70 people online, then your computer has to download every single one of the 70 DP, that could get nasty. And if you have a 56 K connection (I have 1Mbit), then it would take forever.

I concur, it would take far too long to load and why can't you just wait for the full version of MSN 7?
RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by Plik on 11-27-2004 at 05:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by A. Madsen
You download there display picture when they connect, other wise how would it get shown in the signed in pop-up
RE: RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by x2zen on 11-27-2004 at 06:04 PM

quote:
You download there display picture when they connect, other wise how would it get shown in the signed in pop-up

Ofcourse you download it when they sign-in, but with this feature you have to download them when you sign-in, and then when they sign-in.
RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by Skit3000 on 11-27-2004 at 06:38 PM

MSN (Plus?) could cache all display pictures received on the HDD, so that it only has to check if the picture has been changed since the last login. Besides that, who cares if it takes a few minutes to download all pictures? Just begin downloading when you login, and let it download until all display pictures are there. After that, use the same trick as I said above to see if you also have to download the display pictures of people who just came online... :)

RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by Plik on 11-27-2004 at 06:42 PM

But then imagion having 80 or so contacts online, your contact list would be massive to be able to display all the pictures

RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by Skit3000 on 11-27-2004 at 06:46 PM

Imagine you have 80 contacts online right now... I bet you can't see them all at one time as well, with or without these display pictures in front of their names... 8-)

RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by Plik on 11-27-2004 at 06:52 PM

My point was it will make the contact list look stupidly cluttered.
I mean in your picture you have only 7 contacts shown and its alredy filled the space.

RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by Skit3000 on 11-27-2004 at 06:57 PM

quote:
My point was it will make the contact list look stupidly cluttered.
I mean in your picture you have only 7 contacts shown and its alredy filled the space.

How about having an option to turn "display pictures in buddylist" on or off? :) Then everybody would be happy... ;)

RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by TGG on 11-27-2004 at 06:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Skit3000
How about having an option to turn "display pictures in buddylist" on or off? Then everybody would be happy...

Or you could have smaller pictures, but then it may still too big or the pictures will be unclear
RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by Skit3000 on 11-27-2004 at 07:00 PM

I don't recall the size of the display pictures on the popups of MSN 7, but are they smaller then the one in my example picture? If so, that also might be a good size to use... :)

RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by _Humphreys on 11-27-2004 at 07:06 PM

I wouldn't use it if it was made it would make MSN seem stupid, too big and untidy and why when you already have the contact cards are you too lazy to move the mouse a tiny bit? Plus Patchou is already busy making new stuff for plus!.

RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by Skit3000 on 11-27-2004 at 07:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Attitude Extreme
Plus Patchou is already busy making new stuff for plus!.

That's why I put "Wish for the next MsgPlus" in the topic's name... ;) It's just a suggestion for a new feature, if Patchou likes it and wants to add it... :)

RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by siebe on 12-22-2004 at 03:50 PM

*Bumps up old topic*

I doubt Patchou will "waste" time on something Im pretty sure will be implemented :)

RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by xntx on 12-30-2004 at 12:48 AM

oh, I've spent all day reshacking messenger and reading messenger plus! plugin API documentation, but I don't know how to do it so far... :(
Any ideas?
I can't wait for the final release!!! and... if patchou wouldn't implement that function... :(

RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by Skit3000 on 12-30-2004 at 09:03 AM

Well, Patchou did make it possible for people to show both colors and emoticons in the buddylist, but I don't know if he developed an API to control what's in the buddylist yourself?

Edit: this is what I mean:

[Image: list.jpg]

Does anybody know if it is possible to hook this list element, so we can try to build something ourself? :)

RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by xntx on 12-30-2004 at 01:33 PM

Skit3000

quote:
Well, Patchou did make it possible for people to show both colors and emoticons in the buddylist, but I don't know if he developed an API to control what's in the buddylist yourself?
I looked to the API manual, and there's nothin' about it...
RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by Skit3000 on 02-13-2005 at 04:51 PM

My wish has been granted... (a) The new 7.0.0604 beta has it all... :)

[Image: attachment.php?pid=380736]

RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by _Humphreys on 02-13-2005 at 04:58 PM

Yes and you shouldn't be using that unless you are a dev of msn 7.0. :^)

RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by Menthix on 02-13-2005 at 05:06 PM

For those wo are thinking the same what i did when i first saw the massive DPs on the contactlist... Yes, you can also make them smaller :)

[Image: attachment.php?pid=380769]

RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by _Humphreys on 02-13-2005 at 05:18 PM

Thank god for that! I wouldn't have used msn 7.0 anymore if they released that feature without the ability to turn it of or making them smaller.

RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by Skit3000 on 02-13-2005 at 05:43 PM

I also noticed you can turn the images smaller. One thing which I don't like for now, is that if you use the big user pictures, the clock-icons next to busy/away people are big as well... :(

RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by Eljay on 02-13-2005 at 05:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Carltos Cool
Thank god for that! I wouldn't have used msn 7.0 anymore if they released that feature without the ability to turn it of or making them smaller.

you can turn them off and make them smaller, whatever turns you on :P
RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by :No-Frost: on 02-13-2005 at 05:50 PM

where's the download for the *.604???

RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by x2zen on 02-13-2005 at 05:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by :No-Frost:
Its an internal beta, its illegal for you to use it, so no link.
RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by Eljay on 02-13-2005 at 05:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by :No-Frost:

were not allowed to post links here because its illegal
RE: Wish for the next MsgPlus: avatars in buddylist by saralk on 02-13-2005 at 06:11 PM

yes, were not allowed to post the links ;)

but the new beta is really cool, the personal message feature is neat, i like having my currently playing song as the message.