Shoutbox

Custom Names Suggestion for 3.4 - Patchou plz read - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Custom Names Suggestion for 3.4 - Patchou plz read (/showthread.php?tid=34943)

Custom Names Suggestion for 3.4 - Patchou plz read by tugrussel on 11-28-2004 at 05:45 AM

Hi,
I saw the imporvements in custom names at mess.be and I must say that I love 'em especially the thing that you can now have both custom names and nicknames at the same time. But there is something that I think can still be done to make them look this feature a lot better. I just attached a picture of the concept. Please consider this Patchou
Thanks

[Image: attachment.php?pid=341136]

RE: Custom Names Suggestion for 3.4 - Patchou plz read by ayjay on 11-28-2004 at 11:35 AM

I really like that idea. It would be good if it could be done. :)

RE: Custom Names Suggestion for 3.4 - Patchou plz read by John on 11-28-2004 at 11:39 AM

That looks cool, but I'm affraid it's not possible (as far as i know).

RE: Custom Names Suggestion for 3.4 - Patchou plz read by Anubis on 11-28-2004 at 01:00 PM

I'm not sure if that kind of display will work on the client itself, and if it does there'll be many bugs. What would be possible (and less chance of bugs) would be the custom name and then the real name with a dash after it, and obviously an option to do this.

RE: Custom Names Suggestion for 3.4 - Patchou plz read by Millenium_edition on 11-28-2004 at 04:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jaguar
That looks cool, but I'm affraid it's not possible (as far as i know).
you're not a programmer. how can you know?

since the introducing of those ui files everything is possible ;)
RE: Custom Names Suggestion for 3.4 - Patchou plz read by lizard.boy on 11-28-2004 at 04:14 PM

multiple line nicknames can be displayed on the contact list by patching the uifiles afaik

RE: Custom Names Suggestion for 3.4 - Patchou plz read by CookieRevised on 11-28-2004 at 04:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tugrussel
em especially the thing that you can now have both custom names and nicknames at the same time.
That was already possible since a very long time. Use the (!N) tag (or (!M) tag for that matter) in your custom name.

see: http://www.msgplus.net/help_cmdtag.php

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
What would be possible (and less chance of bugs) would be the custom name and then the real name with a dash after it, and obviously an option to do this.
See my comment to tugrussel; Use the (!N) and (!M) tag to make the custom name the way you want it.
RE: Custom Names Suggestion for 3.4 - Patchou plz read by Millenium_edition on 11-28-2004 at 04:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by tugrussel
em especially the thing that you can now have both custom names and nicknames at the same time.
That was already possible since a very long time. Use the (!N) tag (or (!M) tag for that matter) in your custom name.

see: http://www.msgplus.net/help_cmdtag.php

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
What would be possible (and less chance of bugs) would be the custom name and then the real name with a dash after it, and obviously an option to do this.
See my comment to tugrussel; Use the (!N) and (!M) tag to make the custom name the way you want it.
that gave me an idea. how about adding a (!LINEBREAK) tag, so that you can add a line break and extra formatting to gain this effect :D ?
RE: Custom Names Suggestion for 3.4 - Patchou plz read by _Humphreys on 11-28-2004 at 05:13 PM

Anyways, if this feature was to be made than this would make custom names even cooler. It would go nicely with the already annouced coloured custom names feature.:D

RE: Custom Names Suggestion for 3.4 - Patchou plz read by lepr on 11-28-2004 at 07:28 PM

Im pretty sure each item in a list box (in this case the contact list) has a set height, so unless Patchou can change this to make each item double its height I doubt it'll be possible to have 2 lines for each contact.

RE: Custom Names Suggestion for 3.4 - Patchou plz read by Patchou on 11-28-2004 at 10:22 PM

It is a good idea, however it would be pretty difficult to do it (and I don't plan on patching the UI file :)). Note to lepr: Messenger 7 is not using a listview control anymore so I can't just do things I did before.

The other reason why I don't want to do that kind of thing yet is related to what I saw in Paris some weeks ago... if Microsoft make it public in the beta of December, you'll see what I'm talking about... for now, UI stuff is in wait mode, I'm waiting for Microsoft to do the first move :).

RE: Custom Names Suggestion for 3.4 - Patchou plz read by gnownoskcid on 11-29-2004 at 01:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
I never knew that! I couldn't believe i used msgPlus so long without knowing that. Maybe this tip should be publicized better on the site. I don't think that I'm the only user not knowing this 'trick'. Many users may find this info useful.
RE: Custom Names Suggestion for 3.4 - Patchou plz read by CookieRevised on 11-29-2004 at 02:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by gnownoskcid
I never knew that! I couldn't believe i used msgPlus so long without knowing that. Maybe this tip should be publicized better on the site. I don't think that I'm the only user not knowing this 'trick'. Many users may find this info useful.
Well, it is not a trick (as you know, seeing by the quotes), but by design, a suggestion made by yours truly a year ago (and proud of it :p).

Anyways, normaly I would say: RTFM (read the fantastic manual), but since there is no included helpfile (yet) (which would be huuuuuuuge), I suggest to do the next best thing and what everybody should do anyways when using a particular piece of software: start reading the official faqs, changelogs and stuff on www.msgplus.net ;)

quote:
Originally posted by gnownoskcid
Many users may find this info useful.
Also, take a look at: "Preview of improved Custom Names feature in Plus! 3.40". Although, IMHO, it still wouldn't be directly clear that you can use those tags with that method. But that's just my opinion.

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
(and I don't plan on patching the UI file )
To know what Patchou is on about:
eg http://www.messenger-skins.net/showthread.php?tid=597&pid=4466#pid4466