Shoutbox

I have an idea for a new feature! Please read! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: I have an idea for a new feature! Please read! (/showthread.php?tid=34988)

I have an idea for a new feature! Please read! by .Roy on 11-29-2004 at 08:49 AM

Well many people here have a really big buddy list and i was wondering if it was possible to add a little Search Bar in the msn messenger to search throught contacts..

For example, Like in messenger 7 there is the msn search.. You can make another search thing for contacts.. Pretend i type G then it shows all the people with the letter G, Then when i type GA it finds all the people with GA in there name and then when i type GAL it finds the person with GAL this could really be a great feature when you have a lot of people and you want to find one person quickly without searching a lot.. I know i will use this feature a lot!

It can be part of contact renaming :-) I think this is possible, All i want to do is be able to search through the renamed contacts and find my buddy quickly :-)

RE: I have an idea for a new feature! Please read! by gnownoskcid on 11-29-2004 at 09:04 AM

The searching sounds pretty good, but I think it's quite hard to implement. What I do right now is that I use custom names for all my contacts. When i want to search for a contact, i first click on a random contact, then press the first letter of the name of the contact I want (ie 'G' in gary). the closest contact starting with 'g' will be highlighted, then i keep pressing 'g' until gary is highlighted

RE: I have an idea for a new feature! Please read! by .Roy on 11-29-2004 at 12:06 PM

lol, thats the way you do it when you have no way of searching.. But there are hundreds of names that start with G.. So i search sounds better..

Simaler to a FIND option like they use in Fireworks and in msg plua already!

RE: I have an idea for a new feature! Please read! by gnownoskcid on 11-29-2004 at 12:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by DureX
lol, thats the way you do it when you have no way of searching.. But there are hundreds of names that start with G.. So i search sounds better..

Simaler to a FIND option like they use in Fireworks and in msg plua already!
i thought you can only add up to 100 contacts, you probably can't get a lot more than 100 by having others add you, so I doubt all your contacts' names start with g, i even doubt more than 10 of them start with g
RE: I have an idea for a new feature! Please read! by tony on 11-29-2004 at 03:05 PM

err wasnt 150 contacts?

RE: I have an idea for a new feature! Please read! by .Roy on 11-29-2004 at 03:11 PM

uhh i am just saying your way is more premative.. Searching is much faster and much cleaner :-)

RE: I have an idea for a new feature! Please read! by brianjdupuis on 11-29-2004 at 03:47 PM

Heyyy I really like the idea of being able to search through you're contact list!! For me this would be very useful because for me I have over 130 contacts. My Only suggestion is that you dont add it to the main msn screen or anything like how microsoft put there search bar on the bottom of the screen in Msn Messenger, but instead have it under the Plus menu! then something like "Search Contact List" that you have to click on. Another suggestion is take away that stupid msn search thing it's USELESS !!

Besides that GREAT IDEA!! ;)

RE: I have an idea for a new feature! Please read! by Abz2k4 on 11-29-2004 at 03:58 PM

I've wanted this feature for quite a while as i have 150 contacts and it gets annoying searching my whole list to find 1 persons email. I agree that it would be cool to have a lil feature in the plus menu which could do this. But unfortunately i don't think it's possible to implement a feature like this :(

RE: I have an idea for a new feature! Please read! by crank on 11-29-2004 at 07:28 PM

Well there should be some filters in it...
like search on e-mail,nickname,custom name,...
just some quik sugs

RE: I have an idea for a new feature! Please read! by user27089 on 11-29-2004 at 07:31 PM

I've had the same idea for awhile, just never bothered posting asking for it, it could be like the ctrl + f command in the im box.

RE: I have an idea for a new feature! Please read! by .Roy on 11-30-2004 at 08:37 AM

i think it could work out because msg plus already did a search in convo's why not in the buddy list. I find it really useful

RE: I have an idea for a new feature! Please read! by XM4ST3RX on 11-30-2004 at 10:52 AM

Hi,

I dont think Patchou will add this feature... because he has already added a nice feature which could take out many of the problems people had who had big contact lists...

the feature was "Floating Contacts" :)

Kind Regards,
XM4ST3RX

RE: I have an idea for a new feature! Please read! by crank on 11-30-2004 at 03:02 PM

It isn't the same is it? Floating contacts aren't usefull for that kind of use... I'm trying to find some reasons but i'm kinda clouded right now :p

RE: I have an idea for a new feature! Please read! by CookieRevised on 11-30-2004 at 03:20 PM

Use the method described by gnownoskcid (press the first letter of the name). This works very well. And it also works with custom names.

Also the contactlist can only hold 150 contacts, and you can group them in own made groups. All in all, it isn't _that_ much to search thru. (and indeed, it is not like you will have 100 contacts, all starting with the same letter, if you have more then 10 like that, it would be already much).

By the time that you have gone to the menu, opened the special searchwindow for the contactlist, entered the letter and the list has been updated (like the feature that DureX suggested), I already would have found my contact by simply pressing the first letter of his name a couple of times...

All I can say is that putting a search feature on the contactlist seems a bit over the top. Use the functions/features which are already available in a wise way and you wont have any trouble to find your contact.

RE: I have an idea for a new feature! Please read! by riahc4 on 11-30-2004 at 03:53 PM

Ive always wondered if all of these people that say that they have 150 contacts if they accually talk to all 150 and if all 150 sign on at least on a weekly basis.....

Anyways its a pretty good suggestion but i wouldnt personally use it.