Shoutbox

Computer Boot's Extremely Slow - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Computer Boot's Extremely Slow (/showthread.php?tid=35081)

Computer Boot's Extremely Slow by Varish on 12-01-2004 at 11:42 AM

I'm Back in ma country cuz its my holidays, and this PC Loads's (starts, after the booting (where u see a load bar just before the windows xp loading screen) extremely slow.
It take's like 20-25 mins to start, but after that (when the log in screen come's) its normal.

Im Running Win XP (pro)on survice pack 2
this is a Pentium 2.4 GHZ processer with 512MB and i really cant figure out why its so slow.

Sorry abt the garbage explaination, but its not the best internet here :P (i have to run now, and i can only come back like after a day or sooner)

RE: Computer Boot's Extremely Slow by KeyStorm on 12-01-2004 at 11:57 AM

Well, once started windows, Take a look at Run > "msconfig". You should play around with the tab "start". Anyway, it looks like the problem is before windows (explorer) is started, so I'd suggest you to enable the diagnostic mode, to see if this still happens. If this works, user the "selective start" testing all combinations among the options.
When you find the file causing the error you may want to post it here with the content for more help (in the casoe you didn't find out by yourself what caused that monster delay)

RE: Computer Boot's Extremely Slow by JDawg_0789 on 12-02-2004 at 03:07 AM

I'd probably agree with KeyStorm...some program is MAJORLY slowing it down...I would also suggest scanning your computer for viruses/spyware/adaware, and updating everything for any PCI/AGP devices you may have, as well as virusscan and chipset/board.

RE: Computer Boot's Extremely Slow by Varish on 12-02-2004 at 08:17 PM

Thanks for the replaies, and i tried everythin key said, and its slow as hell with nothin selected :(....

I highly suspect its a virus so im goin to do a full system scan now...

* Varish goes out with 5 bucks to get an AV software.

again, thanks for the replies

RE: Computer Boot's Extremely Slow by Moo on 12-02-2004 at 09:17 PM

Did you try to defrag from DOS? (if you have DOS)

RE: Computer Boot's Extremely Slow by CookieRevised on 12-02-2004 at 09:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Guillaume
Did you try to defrag from DOS? (if you have DOS)
Even if your HD is like a Swiss cheese, such a delay is not normal. When the HD is fragmented like hell, you still wont have a delay of 20 minutes....

However, what can be causing this is a defrag routine, defragmenting the HD before Windows is started up...
RE: Computer Boot's Extremely Slow by Moo on 12-02-2004 at 10:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
However, what can be causing this is a defrag routine, defragmenting the HD before Windows is started up...
* Moo wonders what could trigger that...
RE: Computer Boot's Extremely Slow by lylesback2 on 12-02-2004 at 11:12 PM

you should do a backup.  and do a fresh installment... only solution man...  it will just get filled up with more information and boot even longer.

RE: Computer Boot's Extremely Slow by CookieRevised on 12-02-2004 at 11:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Guillaume
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
* Guillaume wonders what could trigger that...
Some setting in Windows (or in your defrag program).

(don't aks me which setting, but it does exist though)
RE: Computer Boot's Extremely Slow by Varish on 12-04-2004 at 06:57 PM

Hmmm......I'll look into it, and right now, im tring to find a way to back-up my HD :P, and if i do find a way to put the 80GB of Data on this PC, i'll do a fresh install right away. ;)

Edit: I just defreged the comp and it's perfect now! now i wonder if it's gonna happen again and what caused it!

RE: Computer Boot's Extremely Slow by CookieRevised on 12-05-2004 at 11:11 AM

As I said, probably a background defragmentation process. Since you have defragmented the HD yourself now there is no need for Windows (or your defrag program) to do it in the background before Windows completely boots up.

If it wasn't a background defragmentation process, then it surely means that your HD was seriously fragmented* and I would be surprised if you didn't lost files or that files were damaged (without you knowing it).

* 20mins to find the necessarily files to boot up is extremely and unhealthy long. I never experienced such a long delay to find some files, even not on my old, very slow PC's with FAT32 or even FAT16.