Shoutbox

windows 2000 startup. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: windows 2000 startup. (/showthread.php?tid=35108)

windows 2000 startup. by megamuff on 12-01-2004 at 10:47 PM

when windows 2000 pro starts up, it begins listing files that it destroys. (doesnt call it destroying, but after it is done with the file, said file is completely destroyed, throwing tons of errors at me when i try to access it.) anyway, i was wondering if there is a log file created as well, so that i can delete and re-download them all at once instead of combing through them or blindly writing them to my backup CD's as broken as they are..

RE: windows 2000 startup. by JDawg_0789 on 12-02-2004 at 02:00 AM

just a suggestion...if it's giving you tons of errors at startup, i would backup what programs/files you do have that you want to keep, burn them to a disk, and reformat the drive, and reinstall windows...would probably help things tremendously

RE: windows 2000 startup. by Hank on 12-02-2004 at 02:04 AM

have you tried the Recovery CD or Floppy? to fix errors? if you dont have it download it from microsoft

RE: windows 2000 startup. by megamuff on 12-02-2004 at 02:11 AM

:|

no no, the thing is, it starts up, and begins corrupting files, and listing them to me as it does it in real time, (saying it "replaced bad sectors") and then it goes back to loading windows again, then when i try to access those files i get the errors.. i cant burn anything to disk now because i might burn something to the disk that has errors and it'd be a waste.. it is destroying files that are between 30 and 250 megs in size.. (i remember it listing a whole bunch of warcraft III files meaning i now have to uninstall that...)

quote:
Originally posted by Demandred
have you tried the Recovery CD or Floppy? to fix errors? if you dont have it download it from microsoft

i havnt heard of a recovery cd, and i am not sure how a floppy can fix errors...
RE: windows 2000 startup. by JDawg_0789 on 12-02-2004 at 02:24 AM

hmm...so it is just picking and choosing what "bad sectors" it wants to replace?  because there should be a place in CMOS where you can set it to have you accept replacements when it wants to replace a sector...but it is just randomly deleting this stuff?  what was happening with your comp at the time it started?

RE: windows 2000 startup. by Hank on 12-02-2004 at 04:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by megamuff
i havnt heard of a recovery cd, and i am not sure how a floppy can fix errors...

there is a recovery Bit within Win2000 or it might be a floppy . download it from microsoft  , but there is a recovery thingie for win2k
RE: windows 2000 startup. by megamuff on 12-03-2004 at 06:00 PM

i have a habit of crashing it every now and then.. thats when it starts destroying files.

demandred, where do i download it from microsoft? and STILL how would i know what files were destroyed? (EDIT: other then the errors i get when accessing 'em..) does nobody know where the log file is?