Shoutbox

new mail box pop up - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: new mail box pop up (/showthread.php?tid=35249)

new mail box pop up by sayxrahh on 12-05-2004 at 07:48 AM

the box that tellls you that you have mail never pops up for me nor does it say 1 new mail message on my msn name..does anyone know why!?!
id like to be able to fix it =/ cause i never know when i have mail unless i click on the link HELP!

RE: new mail box pop up by goofy_guy on 12-07-2004 at 11:48 AM

hey, im new to giving advice so dont be suprised if this doesnt work, if you go into "my computer", "control panel" and "install/uninstall programs", and double click on msn messenger (whateva version your using) and click repair then that may help, just a thought. if that does'nt work make sure that in your personal setting's in "alerts and sounds" that the box that says "display an alert when e-mail is recieved" is tiked.

I think you should try my second advice first becoz repairing it could remove programs from msn:S

RE: new mail box pop up by sayxrahh on 12-07-2004 at 05:29 PM

i already tried the alerts & sounds thing its always been ticked .. & i re-installed the msn 6.2 & Messenger Plus .. but still it didn't work =/
i didn't repair it tho - i just checked on my control panel & it says "change" & when i click it it just re-installs it again =[

i do get the notification everytime i sign in but i still wanna know why it doesnt do it while im on msn .... it doesnt make sense cause it always did it before .. just recently it stopped for some reason

RE: new mail box pop up by CookieRevised on 12-07-2004 at 09:32 PM

First things first....

1) What MSN Messenger version are you using?
see the menu Help > About MSN Messenger

2) What Messenger Plus! version are you using?
see the menu Plus! > About...

3) What email-popup toast do you want? The one from Plus! or the one from MSN Messenger? In other words, what kind of emailaddresses do you want to check? You hotmail address or an alternative POP3 address?

RE: new mail box pop up by azn angel on 12-08-2004 at 02:10 AM

when you open you email, is there mail in you inbox or in you junkmail folder? if it is in you junkmail folder then it will not show up

RE: new mail box pop up by Trellaine201 on 12-08-2004 at 03:59 AM

Hi there, I never realized that I could set up Messenger Plus to notify me when i get email from another POP3 account.  I want to set up my yahoo account but I am  confused on what information they want in the Messenger Plus options area for this??

Can someone give me a link or forum where I can find out what information i need to input?

Server?? is this my ISP?
email address?  my yahoo account?

Thanks, I know a lot of questions but havent been able to find information on this.

Cheers
J

RE: RE: new mail box pop up by sayxrahh on 12-08-2004 at 04:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
First things first....

1) What MSN Messenger version are you using?
see the menu Help > About MSN Messenger

2) What Messenger Plus! version are you using?
see the menu Plus! > About...

3) What email-popup toast do you want? The one from Plus! or the one from MSN Messenger? In other words, what kind of emailaddresses do you want to check? You hotmail address or an alternative POP3 address?

1) MSN Messenger ; 6.2.0137
2) Messenger Plus! ; 3.25.106
3) I want my hotmail address that i sign in with to pop up. no_xsuchx_thing@hotmail.com
RE: new mail box pop up by f1d0d1d08989 on 12-08-2004 at 06:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Trellaine201
Hi there, I never realized that I could set up Messenger Plus to notify me when i get email from another POP3 account.  I want to set up my yahoo account but I am  confused on what information they want in the Messenger Plus options area for this??

Can someone give me a link or forum where I can find out what information i need to input?

Server?? is this my ISP?

Thanks, I know a lot of questions but havent been able to find information on this.

Cheers
J

For Yahoo! Mail, firstly, you need to go to your Mail Options page, then click on POP Access and Forwarding under Management. Then, in Step 1, choose Web and POP Access. In Step 2, choose HTML Messages. Remember to click the Submit button.
After that, a page will be shown to you. Almost in the middle of the page, theres a table, titled 'Server Settings'. DO NOT CLOSE THIS PAGE YET.

Then, go to the Plus Preference page (Plus!->Preferences), then the POP3 Email tab. Ensure that the 'Enable POP3 e-mail checker' is ticked.
Then, for the Server field, type in the information given in the table at the webpage just now, specifically the Incoming Mail (POP3) Server row, which is usually pop.mail.yahoo.com, unless yours is a local mail account, like mine, which is pop.mail.yahoo.com.sg.
[Image: pic4.JPG]
Leave the port 110 field alone.
For the Login & password, type your Yahoo! ID in the first field, then your Yahoo! password in the second field.

This should let Plus check your Yahoo! Mail account for any new mails.
RE: new mail box pop up by goofy_guy on 12-08-2004 at 11:30 AM

to saxyrahh
some e-mails can take a while to actually come to you, when i am talking to one of my friends we send each other e-mails heapz and its instant, however with some of my other friends there e-mails wont come until the next day(are your e-mails there just not being alerted or are they not actually being recieved).

RE: new mail box pop up by sayxrahh on 12-08-2004 at 07:06 PM

they are actually being recieved! sometimes when i click on the link to check my mail ill have new mails & wont even know about it .. & when i first sign on & it tells me how many emails i have ill check it but then itll still say i have 2 new emails or whatever until i sign out & sign back in & then itll say no new emails .. its really dumb i dunno why its doing this lol

RE: new mail box pop up by Trellaine201 on 12-08-2004 at 09:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by f1d0d1d08989
quote:
Originally posted by Trellaine201

Server?? is this my ISP?

Cheers
J

For Yahoo! Mail, firstly, you need to go to your Mail Options page, then click on POP Access and Forwarding under Management. Then, in Step 1, choose Web and POP Access. In Step 2, choose HTML Messages. Remember to click the Submit button.
After that, a page will be shown to you. Almost in the middle of the page, theres a table, titled 'Server Settings'. DO NOT CLOSE THIS PAGE YET.

Then, go to the Plus Preference page (Plus!->Preferences), then the POP3 Email tab. Ensure that the 'Enable POP3 e-mail checker' is ticked.
Then, for the Server field, type in the information given in the table at the webpage just now, specifically the Incoming Mail (POP3) Server row, which is usually pop.mail.yahoo.com, unless yours is a local mail account, like mine, which is pop.mail.yahoo.com.sg.
[Image: pic4.JPG]
Leave the port 110 field alone.
For the Login & password, type your Yahoo! ID in the first field, then your Yahoo! password in the second field.

This should let Plus check your Yahoo! Mail account for any new mails.

Thanks for your help.  Seems many people are having problems with this feature.  I will give it a try and see.
Thanks again.
RE: new mail box pop up by jren207 on 12-08-2004 at 10:48 PM

I am having the same problem. It happened with MSN 6 and it's still doing it with MSN 7 BETA. I only have one pop-up when I first sign-in and for some odd reason, it pops up while it's still signing in, then after that, nothing. *-)

RE: new mail box pop up by Rhapses on 12-09-2004 at 08:05 AM

Actually, i've been having the same problems.

It started when i installed Messenger Plus, actually.

So i'm guessing it's a bug/problem that is caused by messenger plus.

I dare say if it isn't fixed soon, i'm gonna uninstall it. I like the program but if it removes such simple and incredibly useful features such as hotmail email notifications... well i'd rather that then the ability to say what winamp song i'm listening to or having a personalised away message (despite how much i like having the personalised messages!).

MSN Messenger: 6.2.0137
Messenger Plus!: 3.25.106
Windows XP

If anyone has a solution to the problem, i'd most appreaciate it.

Regards,

Rhapses.

RE: new mail box pop up by kangie on 12-09-2004 at 04:13 PM

ummmmm didnt everyone in the other thread about this decide that its  at msn's end, and nothing to do with msgplus :)

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
i think they is a problem at msns end, because i've been havin problems with my email indicator lately aswell. my guess is that with all the updates that msn are doing, that some of the notifications are gettin lost, so you are not informed about new emails

RE: new mail box pop up by jren207 on 12-09-2004 at 04:37 PM

I thought so. Because I have had plus! for like forever lol. At least it's not just my computer. :D

RE: new mail box pop up by sayxrahh on 12-09-2004 at 10:07 PM

so what do we do lol just wait till msn fixes it?!
cause i tried deleting & installing msn like 8 times but it didnt work so i just got version 7 hoping it would work ... but i was wrong lol Messenger Plus! is compatible with 7, right?

TESTS by Rhapses on 12-10-2004 at 02:01 AM

Testing:

As suggested in another thread, i ran a few simple tests:

1. I uninstalled Messenger Plus!. This caused no change and email notifications were still only given at sign in ONLY.

2. I did a repair on MSN Messenger. This caused no change also.

3. I uninstalled MSN Messenger, downloaded the non-beta version (6.2.0137 -- or the version i previously mentioned anyway as it was the same), and installed the downloaded copy. No change.

So either some kind of problem which doesn't remove itself through the uninstall or MSN has problems.

HOWEVER, i've been in contact with other people on my list and they don't have problems. That is people from around the world too, by the way, not just where i live (Australia). Their email notifications are working fine (we bounced emails around and they would get notified when they recieved the new email-  I would not.

Next step would be for someone to notify Microsoft and see what they think it is and then report here. Any volunteers? :-# (A)

RE: new mail box pop up by kangie on 12-10-2004 at 03:48 AM

well, if it was happenng to me, i would... but i dont think ive had any probs.... i wouldnt notice anyways! if no-one will, then i want indepth details n ill contact them :P

[edit] on second thoughts, i have other issues id like to take up with MS, so ill do it in the next few days n post a reply

RE: new mail box pop up by sayxrahh on 12-21-2004 at 06:42 AM

it works now! its been working for a week maybe actually lol :) thx for everyone that tried

RE: new mail box pop up by Fergy on 12-21-2004 at 08:01 AM

Yeah i can confirm these problems
its all got to do with Microsoft's upgrades for MSN Messenger 7