Shoutbox

Major Forum problems - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Major Forum problems (/showthread.php?tid=35326)

Major Forum problems by Sunshine on 12-06-2004 at 09:29 PM

Lately i've been gettin this more and more often:

We can't find "http://shoutbox.menthix.net/latest.php"
- Cannot Find Server - The web site you typed in could not be found on the internet.

Not even the "Max serverload limit" message :mipdodgy:

I checked how many users were online and last time it happend (5 mins ago) when i came back it said like 153 users. I even turned off "refresh" to help decrease serverload.

What's happening?

RE: Major Forum problems by Moo on 12-06-2004 at 09:32 PM

its getting slower and slower... took me 2 minutes to load this page! im on broadband!

RE: Major Forum problems by user27089 on 12-06-2004 at 09:40 PM

Yes, its really starting to annoy me now, it takes me ages to connect to a page, and i'm constantly getting the 'transfer has timed out' message, and its getting quite irritating, I thought the server was being sorted out, when will this be fixed, seriously, serious posts should be made, and i write out an essay, then it keeps saying 'server load' or 'transfer timed out'...

please sort this out someone ..... wj preferably.. I thought you were sorting out a new server??

RE: Major Forum problems by andrey on 12-06-2004 at 09:40 PM

...same here..dsl and its getting slower and slower.
what's up wj / wdz ?

RE: Major Forum problems by user35870 on 12-06-2004 at 09:54 PM

Ok i just said there what is rong with the website it says page can't be displayed right? then it just said "whats rong with the"

(ok the websites bk)

but the forum is so slow

The pics are taking ages to apper  (must just be cause of the forum is so slow right?)

RE: Major Forum problems by andrey on 12-06-2004 at 10:04 PM

yup. the graphics aren't displayed properly take ages to display, due to the servers slowness.
You can still edit your posts. Click on the links where the edit button should have been. You can still click them even when the graphics aren't displayed
Or click these links to
edit your first post in this thread
edit your second post in this thread
And please merge your posts, delete either the second or the first.

thanks.

...where is wj when we need him :'( ?

RE: Major Forum problems by Moo on 12-06-2004 at 10:06 PM

I see the graphics fine

RE: Major Forum problems by jren207 on 12-06-2004 at 10:49 PM

I agree, it does take a little longer than I expect. Longer than other sites I have visited and I have 512k broadband *-)

RE: Major Forum problems by Sunshine on 12-06-2004 at 10:56 PM

At times the graphics don't load at all (red crosses...weird lookin squares). I'm on DSL aswell..the slow loading makes me think of a HD that is just too full :(

I've noticed all these things before..and if it happens every now and then, no biggie..but it just seems to get worse and worse.

In the past we got "max server load limit" messages but that was when over 500 ppl were onhere, now it happens when theres 300+ sometimes with even less ppl (see previous post). Whats disturbing me the most is "the website can't be found" messages.

I've done everything possible to make it all load faster (not show BB codes f.e. when you wanna edit a post) even turned off "refresh" (so i'm not increasing the server load). I also started using Quick reply because the "post reply" takes ages.

I'm not a person to complain that fast, if it takes a lil more time to post ok, occasional "max server load" message ok. But this is really gettin outta hand.

RE: Major Forum problems by WDZ on 12-06-2004 at 10:59 PM

The "bottleneck" doesn't seem to be PHP or MySQL... the PHP page generation times are OK, and the database seems normal. Also, the server load isn't really high.

I guess the server is just getting lots of requests and using lots of bandwidth. Apache or the network connection might be overloaded. Remember that many people are still requesting http://shoutbox.menthix.net/pid331874.html even though they're not counted as online.

And wj just upgraded some software on this server, so maybe some tweaking is needed again... :dodgy:

Blah. Just go do something useful for a few hours until the site is less busy. :p

Edit: Right now there are 300 guests online, and pages take about 10 seconds to load, if there are no un-cached images. The individual image requests can really slow down page loading. :-/

RE: Major Forum problems by surfichris on 12-06-2004 at 11:07 PM

There are currently some routing issues at EV1 (where this server is hosted), which are also causing problems.

RE: Major Forum problems by Sunshine on 12-06-2004 at 11:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Blah. Just go do something useful for a few hours until the site is less busy. :p
Rofl, helping ppl out onhere isn't usefull? :P

I take helping out onhere very seriously, if i was in need of help i wouldn't wanna wait for hours either. That's why i posted this, not just for me..but for all the helpers..and above all for the ppl who need our help ;)

Edit: anyways, thanks WDZ and Chris Boulton for pointing out what might be causing the problem. I hope it get's sorted soon. Seems ok for now...
RE: Major Forum problems by andrey on 12-06-2004 at 11:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Blah. Just go do something useful for a few hours until the site is less busy.
uh....okay i'll stare at the ceiling for some time...........

* andrey hopes the server load decreases...
RE: Major Forum problems by wj on 12-07-2004 at 01:00 AM

Man, I walk away from my computer for four hours to set up cubicals at work and looks what happens.

The software upgrade was an upgrade to the latest in teh apache 1.3.x series and PHP 5.0.3. I'll tweak the settings.

Yes we are moving to a bigger server. When we get said server we'll move. But were waiting for c2medias next round of server setup's (neither Surfi nor I like FreeBSD servers with jail installed) so we'll hopefully have a new one soon.

RE: Major Forum problems by Hank on 12-07-2004 at 01:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Lately i've been gettin this more and more often:

We can't find "http://shoutbox.menthix.net/latest.php"
- Cannot Find Server - The web site you typed in could not be found on the internet.

Not even the "Max serverload limit" message

I checked how many users were online and last time it happend (5 mins ago) when i came back it said like 153 users. I even turned off "refresh" to help decrease serverload.

i got this problem yesterday for the first time . i just put it down to the fact im not using my own Broadband :)

RE: Major Forum problems by kangie on 12-07-2004 at 04:11 PM

aye, i just got: the operation to contact shoutbox.menthix.net has timed out :)

RE: Major Forum problems by Millenium_edition on 12-07-2004 at 05:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by kangie
aye, i just got: the operation to contact shoutbox.menthix.net has timed out :)
that's probably what 'dz said... the server has so many connections (even non-forum ones) that it queues your request and then it times out.

pretty annoying :(
RE: Major Forum problems by MessEnGer on 12-08-2004 at 07:59 AM

i experienced a similar kind of a pronblem yesterday

[Image: attachment.php?pid=344956]

i got this error continously until i had to give up and come online right now after more than 12 hours

also to let you know that all other websites were working fine so there was nothing wrong with my connection ...

RE: Major Forum problems by user27089 on 12-08-2004 at 08:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
Man, I walk away from my computer for four hours to set up cubicals at work and looks what happens.

The software upgrade was an upgrade to the latest in teh apache 1.3.x series and PHP 5.0.3. I'll tweak the settings.

Yes we are moving to a bigger server. When we get said server we'll move. But were waiting for c2medias next round of server setup's (neither Surfi nor I like FreeBSD servers with jail installed) so we'll hopefully have a new one soon.

Cool, but how long is this going to take lol, its been like this for ages :). Aww well, all in time, imo, a load of old users should be deleted to clear some room, as most of the users haven't posted for about 2 years in member list... :(

This surfer has seemed to be ok until now, I just can't wait until c2media host this site finally so it gets a decent server :banana:
RE: Major Forum problems by surfichris on 12-08-2004 at 08:59 AM

It's going to take as long as the C2 server admin reformats our server. He had a batch of servers to do this week so we're hoping its done then.

Remember, currently there have been alot of routing problems with oversea's connections to EV1, which is where this server is located. A lot of the time the server is running fine, with a semi-steady load (sometimes spikes though).

quote:
Generated in 0.6007 seconds (46.97% PHP / 53.03% MySQL)
MySQL Queries: 17 / Global Parsing Time: 0.4106
PHP 5.0.2 / Server Load 0.83 / GZip Disabled

RE: Major Forum problems by wj on 12-08-2004 at 04:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor

This surfer has seemed to be ok until now, I just can't wait until c2media host this site finally so it gets a decent server :banana:

Hey, This is a decent server! It's only slowed down when there is a flow of about 300-400+ users trying to view these forums.
RE: Major Forum problems by user27089 on 12-08-2004 at 04:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
quote:
Originally posted by traxor

Hey, This is a decent server! It's only slowed down when there is a flow of about 300-400+ users trying to view these forums.

Okay.. its a decent server, but lately, since all of this apache and stuff has been fiddled with or whatever, I keep getting 'Transfer Timed out' errors and it takes ages to connect, luckily though today, I haven't had any, then again, i've only been online for 20 minutes ;).
RE: Major Forum problems by wj on 12-08-2004 at 11:29 PM

As surfi said, Ev1 is having some minor routing problems.

If it continues any longer, I'll throw a shit fit with Ev1

RE: Major Forum problems by user27089 on 12-08-2004 at 11:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
As surfi said, Ev1 is having some minor routing problems.

If it continues any longer, I'll throw a shit fit with Ev1

:lol: Sorry, I didn't notice what he said.

Nice way of putting that there, but there haven't been any problems today, so i'm sure that its going to be okay ;).
RE: Major Forum problems by lizard.boy on 12-09-2004 at 10:49 PM

just wondering. what are the aproxamate hardware specs for this/the new server?

RE: Major Forum problems by wj on 12-10-2004 at 01:11 AM

It's a top of the line Tandy!

Genuine Intel 286 running at a whopping 10mhz
128Kb of Random Access Memory (Upgradeable to 256Kb)
Industry Leading 10Mb Hard Disk Drive
New 5.25 Double Density Disk Drive
And to top it off, A new 128kbps SLIP Internet Connection

RE: Major Forum problems by .blade// on 12-10-2004 at 01:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wj

HOLY SHIT! WE'LL HAVE THE FORUMS RUNNING AT LIKE 4x THE CURRENT SPEED!!!
And I heard that Intel has a 486 in development....:drool:

:banana:

...:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :banana: :lol:
RE: Major Forum problems by user13774 on 12-10-2004 at 08:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by wj

Running on Windows 3.11? :notfunny:
RE: Major Forum problems by surfichris on 12-10-2004 at 08:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Markus
Running on Windows 3.11?
No, the software that Apple II E's run off.