Shoutbox

too many StuffPlug threads IMO!!! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: too many StuffPlug threads IMO!!! (/showthread.php?tid=35513)

too many StuffPlug threads IMO!!! by aNILEator on 12-11-2004 at 10:41 PM

Jesus christ how many threads do you guys want?

To be honest all i see when i click on plugins now is

stuffplug problem
stuffplug help
spng???
what the hell SPNG?
SPNGSPNGSPNGSPNG
Stuffplugin bug

I'm sure you get the picture, i know that there was a Stuffplug Bug thread Why dont you guys use it, i myself have not experienced any problems with stuffplug at all.

Just try not to make a million threads in future

</rant>

RE: TOO MANY STUFFPLUG THREADS IMO!!! by aNILEator on 12-11-2004 at 10:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy
any need for the amount of SPNG threads?

no didn't think so!!!
Just wanted to try and show the people who post those threads how annoying it now is trying to find an actual plugin

SUGGESTION: Plugin Sub-Sections

Plugin Releases, Plugin Development, Plugin Help and support
RE: TOO MANY STUFFPLUG THREADS IMO!!! by .blade// on 12-11-2004 at 11:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly

no didn't think so!!!

Just wanted to try and show the people who post those threads how annoying it now is trying to find an actual plugin

Why don't we just dived those into sub-sub sections and so on and so on. Leave the forums how they are, stop with the SPNG threads (maybe a sticky? :-/).
RE: TOO MANY STUFFPLUG THREADS IMO!!! by toddy on 12-11-2004 at 11:15 PM

quote:

no didn't think so!!!

yeh they is need for them, people want help with it and or are reportin bugs.

if your gonna be stupid like that, might has well say "any need for this whole forum ???"
quote:

no need to change them

RE: TOO MANY STUFFPLUG THREADS IMO!!! by surfichris on 12-11-2004 at 11:35 PM

quote:

Why should we have to set up forums to provide support for Stuffplug? If you ask me thats wasting more of our bandwidth. If TB wishes to provide support then he can set up his own forums.
RE: TOO MANY STUFFPLUG THREADS IMO!!! by Xero_Cool on 12-11-2004 at 11:43 PM

Omfg, Another stuffplug-NG thread. [Image: xso_rolleyes.gif]

How about we create a official thread for StuffPlug-NG? :P

RE: TOO MANY STUFFPLUG THREADS IMO!!! by Dane on 12-11-2004 at 11:58 PM

Why not just make a StuffPlug sub-forum, imo?

RE: TOO MANY STUFFPLUG THREADS IMO!!! by Chrono on 12-12-2004 at 12:06 AM

theblasphemer has his own support forums, so why would we put one here? :P

RE: RE: TOO MANY STUFFPLUG THREADS IMO!!! by Xero_Cool on 12-12-2004 at 12:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dane
Why not just make a StuffPlug sub-forum, imo?

Look @ the second post above you..
RE: TOO MANY STUFFPLUG THREADS IMO!!! by Dane on 12-12-2004 at 12:25 AM

Because this is where it is becoming excessive.

RE: TOO MANY STUFFPLUG THREADS IMO!!! by Chrono on 12-12-2004 at 12:31 AM

so? lets redirect them to his forums and it will stop :P

RE: TOO MANY STUFFPLUG THREADS IMO!!! by Dane on 12-12-2004 at 02:20 AM

Or we could make a subforum here because no matter how much redirecting we do they're still going to come here?

RE: TOO MANY STUFFPLUG THREADS IMO!!! by surfichris on 12-12-2004 at 02:27 AM

Why should we provide that level of support for another plugin? Think about it. We don't have support forums here for Windows, and there are questions about Windows which are asked about.

Adding a sub forum here is exactly the same as adding a redirecting sub forum.

RE: TOO MANY STUFFPLUG THREADS IMO!!! by Dane on 12-12-2004 at 02:29 AM

Then add a subforum that redirects?  No one presented that idea, thats actually a good idea.

RE: TOO MANY STUFFPLUG THREADS IMO!!! by surfichris on 12-12-2004 at 03:54 AM

WDZ can do it.

RE: TOO MANY STUFFPLUG THREADS IMO!!! by WDZ on 12-12-2004 at 05:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Why should we have to set up forums to provide support for Stuffplug? If you ask me thats wasting more of our bandwidth. If TB wishes to provide support then he can set up his own forums.
Damn right! :cheesy:

But I am also sick of all the people looking for help with StuffPlug here. Maybe there should be a sub-forum, but I don't want it specific to any one plug-in. How about a forum for "support for any released MsgPlus! plug-in"?

The main forum would be for development, new plug-in suggestions, release annoucements, etc. and the new sub-forum would be for helping people use already-released plug-ins such as StuffPlug.

About the link to a separate StuffPlug board: I think it might annoy users to have to register on yet another board, though I'll keep the idea in mind. :^)

Edit: :| @ Cookie's screenshot... that's ridiculous. :dodgy:
RE: TOO MANY STUFFPLUG THREADS IMO!!! by CookieRevised on 12-12-2004 at 05:37 AM

I completely understand the issue of Fukafly...
In fact I'm suprised no-one complained before...

[Image: attachment.php?pid=346238]
and this goes on and on....

IMHO, there are indeed far too much threads about Stuffplug. It is a popular plugin, yes, but this is almost rediculus. Also, most of all those threads are about the same thing (<= hint to helpers, also see below): either a bugreport, either a suggestion or either something which has been asked before....

The suggestion of making an official StuffPlug thread is nice, but this has been done before. There are/were official StuffPlug threads. They went big in no-time with many duplicated questions and things. Result: people can't find in the thread what has been asked before and posted yet another duplicated question or they made new threads, etc...

This is also our own fault in a way: if we redirect them to the post in an "official" thread and leave the original thread with that (or close it), people will find those big "official" threads. But instead, most answers are posted _again_ in the new threads. Making it very easy and justified for people to make yet another new thread with again same questions asked. etc....

StuffPlug subforum? Dunno, maybe, but like said before why a subforum for StuffPlug and not for another plugin, while StuffPlug HAS its own forums (fortunately, they are back open for public and not private anymore). The good thing about a subforum would be that people will find their stuff more easly, both stuffplug-info and other info, and the plugins forum isn't overtaken by StuffPlug anymore (thus making it again a plugins forum, not a stuffplug-forum). The only negative point would be the simple question "why for stuffplug and not for another plugin", which can be justified with the fact that there is no other plugin as popular as stuffplug (Chris, people don't ask questions about Windows problems in 5 threads out of 10).

General existing plugin subforum? IMO, no. It will become just like the current plugins forum. As seen before, some threads can't be put in "new-plugin" catagory or "support"-only catagory. There will be discussions about why this thread is put there and that thread in the other place (eg, a redesigned plugin and a namechange, etc..). Result will be that people have to look for support in two forums...

Simple, "quick"-solution: Start redirecting people to the big "official" stuffplug threads instead of answering a question in a quick "1-sentence" way (where the poster might have an answer on his question, but leaves other potential questions unanswered and other visiting people in the dark). Thus also provide links to those threads and links where people can find more information. Also, more rapidly moving/merging seems like a good idea in some cases...

In this way, the thread-count will get down as people will find those links and known where to look for the info for themselfs.

Currently, it is indeed like the plugins forum is the support forum of StuffPlug.

RE: too many StuffPlug threads IMO!!! by surfichris on 12-12-2004 at 06:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
In fact I'm suprised no-one complained before...
It's been on my list of "things to bitch about" for some time now, since some previous issues.
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
(Chris, people don't ask questions about Windows problems in 5 threads out of 10).
Stop putting holes in my theory! ;)

I really think what we need to do is use MyBB's forum redirection feature it allows you to create a "fake forum" which will redirect to another location. Create a sub forum inside the Plugins one and redirect it to TB's. It would also help if TB actually listed the forum on his website (so far havent been able to find a link to it), and that his threads here linked to those forums.

Like Cookie mentioned earlier, there are a lot of common questions asked about StuffPlug, and bugs too, maybe someone ought to create a nice FAQ or one of those big sticky threads?

RE: too many StuffPlug threads IMO!!! by user13774 on 12-12-2004 at 10:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
I really think what we need to do is use MyBB's forum redirection feature it allows you to create a "fake forum" which will redirect to another location. Create a sub forum inside the Plugins one and redirect it to TB's. It would also help if TB actually listed the forum on his website (so far havent been able to find a link to it), and that his threads here linked to those forums.

Good idea (y). TB has set up a forum @ http://www.stuffplug.com/forum/ but there is no link to it on the main page. I guess we should tell everyone to go over there. A FAQ in our plugin section is a good solution IMO.
RE: too many StuffPlug threads IMO!!! by user27089 on 12-12-2004 at 11:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Markus
has set up a forum @ http://www.stuffplug.com/forum/ but there is no link to it on the main page. I guess we should tell everyone to go over there. A FAQ in our plugin section is a good solution IMO.

I agree with most people, the whole stuffplug thing having a subforum is a bit stupid, as other plugin producers would possibly get jealous of this and cause certain happenings around the forum, why don't people just go to the stuffplug forum, I read through the whole thread, and there wasn't one link to the Official Stuffplug Forum apart from on Markus' post, surely most people know that stuffplug has an official forum. But the thing is, not a lot of people go there, why do they always come here, I really don't get it to be honest, I think that it is because on the stuffplug website, I can't see a single link which will take you directly to the forum, I don't think that WDZ should do anything mentioned above, I think that the blasphemer should simply edit his site so that there is a link to the support forum, and IMO, it will reduce the amount of 'Stuffplug' threads immediately pretty much :).
RE: too many StuffPlug threads IMO!!! by user35870 on 12-12-2004 at 12:23 PM

I am going to report my "Stuffplugin problem" on stuff plugins forum and del it from this forum

p.s never knew stuff plugin had a forum :o

Edit: Done deleted from this forum and on stuff plugins forum :)

RE: too many StuffPlug threads IMO!!! by Mithrandir on 12-12-2004 at 12:53 PM

and what about 1 sticky thread in Plugins forum, listing all the support sites/forums/threads for each plugin ?

for example,

quote:
StuffPlug-NG (by TheBlasphemer):
- http://www.stuffplug.com/forum

ColorNick v2 (by Mithrandir):
- http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=27843

File Transfer Plus (by RicarDog):
- http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=29489

Hopper (by MnJul):
- http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=13824

... and so on

then, people would find the official threads and wouldn't start a new one, and helpers would only have to link to this sticky thread...
RE: too many StuffPlug threads IMO!!! by user27089 on 12-12-2004 at 01:26 PM

THats quite a good Idea, but still, they should put the stuffplug stuff on the official forum because people probably still won't post in the sticky threads, not many people notice them to be honest :-/.

RE: too many StuffPlug threads IMO!!! by TheBlasphemer on 12-12-2004 at 02:24 PM

WHAAAA HELP!
Don't go redirecting people to that forum yet!
Darnit, been away for two days and not people start complaining :P
Can't you freakin time ;)?

Anyway, I did set up a little forum of my own, but it's still a test and not official yet.
The "theme" I made is crap and it's got a LOT of glitches.
Rolando promised to re-do it with the SPNG2 GUI style, however both Rolando and me are extremely busy with other things (school).

If you want to make a subforum, I'd appreciate that, however don't go redirecting to my own forums just yet :P It'll be announced when they open officially, trust me !

A solution to this whole thing might be a sort of FAQ sticky as I've done before, listing the most common questions people ask with an appropriate answer. Don't do it thread-wise, and don't allow replies, just make it like:
Q: Where can i find a validation key?
A: Please please please learn to look around on websites! hint: http://www.stuffplug.com/ near the top!

If there's any more concerns, ask :P

RE: too many StuffPlug threads IMO!!! by Patchou on 12-12-2004 at 06:41 PM

Well, if you want my opinion, I think WDZ suggested the best thing: do a sub section for the Plugins section entitled "Help & Support for Plugins" or similar. No need to redirect anyone to anywhere, this forum is here to help people with problems with Plus! and its plugins. In this new subsection we can put one or two sticky thread about the commonly asked questions about Suff-Plug.

RE: too many StuffPlug threads IMO!!! by aNILEator on 12-12-2004 at 11:44 PM

I suggested this :S grrr its all his idea now becasue he is more well know

Yes good idea

RE: too many StuffPlug threads IMO!!! by kangie on 12-14-2004 at 03:52 AM

people who come here would still make a new thread, regardless of whether there was an official thread, or subforums!

RE: too many StuffPlug threads IMO!!! by L. Coyote on 12-15-2004 at 07:48 PM

Well, there's always going to be someone who doesn't get the point, and there's always going to be some posts here and there...

But moving threads is something that can be done. You could also just start deleting threads and make a big closed thread with the most commonly asked questions, and just answer questions with "Please, read the official thread [here]", like CookieRevised does all the time.

Just my 2 cents.

RE: too many StuffPlug threads IMO!!! by Snake on 12-29-2004 at 02:57 AM

I think making a "fake forum" would be the way to go... andding a sub-forum would just add to the strees on the board! I beleve Plugins should have there own forums on there own board!

lol but then agen thats just me:D

RE: too many StuffPlug threads IMO!!! by aNILEator on 12-29-2004 at 09:52 AM

i say

Plugins Development/Released sub forum
Plugins Bugs and Support sub forum

RE: too many StuffPlug threads IMO!!! by CookieRevised on 12-29-2004 at 02:23 PM

quote:
i say

Plugins Development/Released sub forum
Plugins Bugs and Support sub forum
that will make things even more complicated and chaotic; People often post in the wrong forums as it is, so splitting the plugins section like this isn't going to help that, it will only bring more work for the mods...