Shoutbox

preventing xp to recreate default folders... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: preventing xp to recreate default folders... (/showthread.php?tid=35544)

preventing xp to recreate default folders... by qune on 12-12-2004 at 04:47 PM

I'm facing a problem with windows xp (SP2)... since I don't store my data in default "My Pictures" and "My Music" folders, these thing start to get on my nerves... every time I open photoshop for example, I found new "My Pictures" folder in "My Documents", despite that I had it deleted before... same thing is with "My Music" and "My Ebooks" (created by acrobat reader)...

is there any way I can disable automatic recreation on these folders or even another way around it (and definitely not setting these folders' attributes to hidden?..

thanks in advance...

RE: preventing xp to recreate default folders... by .blade// on 12-12-2004 at 05:09 PM

I'm not sure whether or not you can delete them without them being re-made, but I CAN suggest you put shortcuts in these folders to the folders you ARE using.

RE: preventing xp to recreate default folders... by RaceProUK on 12-12-2004 at 06:31 PM

The alternative is to download TweakUI for Windows XP from the Microsoft site. That allows you to relocate your special folders.

Using it means I have the following:
'My Documents' is actually E:\.
'My Music' is actually G:\Music.
'My Pictures' is actually G:\Pix.
And so on.

RE: preventing xp to recreate default folders... by CookieRevised on 12-13-2004 at 12:41 AM

registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

RE: preventing xp to recreate default folders... by qune on 12-13-2004 at 10:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
registry:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
works excellent, thanks...:)
RE: preventing xp to recreate default folders... by RaceProUK on 12-13-2004 at 12:27 PM

quote:
registry:
I would imagine that's what TweakUI changes... :P
RE: RE: preventing xp to recreate default folders... by qune on 12-13-2004 at 10:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
quote:
registry:
I would imagine that's what TweakUI changes... :P

yes, but TweakUI didn't have 'my music' or 'my videos' listed somehow...
RE: preventing xp to recreate default folders... by RaceProUK on 12-14-2004 at 09:34 AM

Mine does.
Maybe the registry entries themselves went missing...

RE: preventing xp to recreate default folders... by f1d0d1d08989 on 12-14-2004 at 12:39 PM

You should have it...
[Image: pic6.JPG]

RE: preventing xp to recreate default folders... by John Anderton on 12-14-2004 at 01:20 PM

Ya Tweak Ui Is Good But It Only Works For Win Xp Sp1 And Higher Which Most Of Us Have Still You May Wanna Use A Method To Edit The Registry So That You Can Change The Default Folder That Opens But Your Default My Douments Will Be The Same.
I'm Not Yet Sure 'Bout Which Registry It Is But I'll Find Out And Post It Here. I Think This Method Is Better. You May Wanna Search For Such A Registry At Google.

RE: preventing xp to recreate default folders... by f1d0d1d08989 on 12-14-2004 at 02:49 PM

quote:
registry:

Em, the registry is available there...Read the post by CookieRevised...
RE: preventing xp to recreate default folders... by RaceProUK on 12-16-2004 at 10:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
Ya Tweak Ui Is Good But It Only Works For Win Xp Sp1 And Higher
There is a version for the 9x series too.