Shoutbox

Custome Names Showing Up as Emails In Contact List - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Bug Reports (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+----- Thread: Custome Names Showing Up as Emails In Contact List (/showthread.php?tid=35633)

Custome Names Showing Up as Emails In Contact List by chris on 12-14-2004 at 11:04 PM

Well for some reason for the last 2 days in the contact list the custome names haven't been showing up and all i see is the emails for awile but if i close the main window to the tray and open it a couple times and open a chat window and close it then they show up but the names alwasy show up in the chat window even if the email is showing in the contact list
Windows Version: Windows XP, 5.01.2600
Messenger Client Version: 7.0.0425
Messenger Plus! Version: 3.40.0112

RE: Custome Names Showing Up as Emails In Contact List by toddy on 12-14-2004 at 11:32 PM

this maybe a bug with messenger its self not messenger plus! however i can't say this for sure, as i don't use msn 7 myself. but as both messenger plus! 3.4 and messenger 7 are betas, problems like this may occur

RE: Custome Names Showing Up as Emails In Contact List by Sunshine on 12-14-2004 at 11:37 PM

Try disabling customnames (plus >preferences > contact list > custom names (tab)) and restart MSN. Then enable customnames again.

RE: Custome Names Showing Up as Emails In Contact List by gnownoskcid on 12-15-2004 at 01:18 AM

quote:
Originally posted by chris
Well for some reason for the last 2 days in the contact list the custome names haven't been showing up and all i see is the emails for awile but if i close the main window to the tray and open it a couple times and open a chat window and close it then they show up but the names alwasy show up in the chat window even if the email is showing in the contact list
i have been encountering this problem for a while now as mentioned in this thread
RE: Custom Names Showing Up as Emails In Contact List by ipab on 12-15-2004 at 02:22 AM

same, all i do is close the main window (not exit msn) and the reopen the main window and that usually fixes it.

i also have been having a problem with windows messenger which i posted a report about, but looks like no one took a look at that :(

http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=35233 (that is the thread if anyone wnats to look at that :P)

RE: Custome Names Showing Up as Emails In Contact List by John on 12-15-2004 at 09:53 AM

I think I know what triggers this bug.. I removed the ad-banner in the conversation windows myself (with recource hacker) and since then I've been having the same bug. Now I'm using Messenger with the ad-banner in the conversation windows enabled and the bug hasn't accoured yet, weird..

Note: The ad-banner has no further relationship with the custom names. (Just saying this incase some people start thinking Patchou made that bug happen on purpose if you remove that ad-banner, you never know what people will come up with :P )

My versions:

RE: Custome Names Showing Up as Emails In Contact List by Patchou on 12-15-2004 at 06:48 PM

I'll check this out... you're the first one to report this bug with a possible cause of problem. Thanks :).

RE: Custome Names Showing Up as Emails In Contact List by whiskymac on 12-15-2004 at 08:05 PM

I have had a similar problem, have latest Plus! and MSN Betas and everything worked fine.  Ever since removing the white bar ads in the convo windows sometimes the main msn window displays the code for colours in a contacts name instead of actually changing the colour of the text.  Again this just seems to come and go as it pleases.  Hope that makes sense!

RE: RE: Custome Names Showing Up as Emails In Contact List by John on 12-16-2004 at 03:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
I'll check this out... you're the first one to report this bug with a possible cause of problem. Thanks :).

You're welcome. :) I hope it helps.
RE: Custome Names Showing Up as Emails In Contact List by whiskymac on 12-16-2004 at 06:25 PM

Have also noticed today that when experiencing the above mentioned problems that if i select status as away, the personalised status box does not appear - i have checked all the settings and re-installed plus! and msn.

Hope this is of some use

RE: Custome Names Showing Up as Emails In Contact List by chris on 12-17-2004 at 03:32 PM

well this has still been hapening alot lately and tis really anoying i think later i will reinstall msn and not remove the add and see what happens but last night somethign really weird happend like it showed some peoples custom name showed up but others didnt and just showed their email but it showed their custome one in a conversation. . . well i dont know if u get what im sayin but hers a pic
the ones underlined in green have a custome one and it shoed right and the ones underlined in red have a custome name and its not.

RE: Custome Names Showing Up as Emails In Contact List by Kaleus on 12-26-2004 at 10:38 PM

Guys which encounter the problem, did you use Stuffplug-ng?
I have the problem too, and I'm using stuffplug-NG (which allow to set custom name too, maybe a conflict?)

RE: RE: Custome Names Showing Up as Emails In Contact List by net-cruizer on 12-30-2004 at 08:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kaleus
Guys which encounter the problem, did you use Stuffplug-ng?
I have the problem too, and I'm using stuffplug-NG (which allow to set custom name too, maybe a conflict?)

Hmmm, I think that may be the problem after all.
I disabled Stuffplug-NG and so far the custom names are working fine.

-edit-
Nope, that aint the problem, problem still exists, damb.
RE: Custome Names Showing Up as Emails In Contact List by mr magoo on 01-03-2005 at 01:36 PM

:$

I'll admit to being a bit naughty and trying to get rid of the adverts. Following this information here

and removing this code via reshacker

code:
    <element id=atom(adbannercont) layout=filllayout() layoutpos=none >
        <element height=25 layout=borderlayout() borderthickness=rect(0,1,0,0) colorize=enabled/>
        <textadbanner id=atom(adbanner) layout=borderlayout() padding=rect(1,0,1,3) borderthickness=rect(0,1,0,0) colorize=enabled>
            <cmdbutton id=atom(adbannertextcontainer) layout=verticalflowlayout(0,0, 2, 2) layoutpos=left background=argb(0,0,0,0) selected=false tooltip=true AccName=rcstr(85) padding=rect(19,0,2,4) colorize=enabled>
                <wledit id=atom(adbannertext) class="ReadOnlyText" selected=false active=inactive />
            </cmdbutton>
        </textadbanner>
    </element>

Seemed to trigger the problems. It's v strange that removing this would mess up the names....  Either way, returning to backed up version without this code removal seemed to solve the problem. My advice- don't try and remove the ads!

All the best people- happy new year Patchou! We'll have to meet up again some time!

tom
RE: Custome Names Showing Up as Emails In Contact List by corrupted on 01-04-2005 at 03:49 AM

No it's not a bug...it's part of plus, you guys should read carefully lol. So if your contact list doesn't have a custom name it will show his/her name by the email...i was going to have a request to make the custom name view by display name...because i don't like seeing peoples emails in the conversations too.  The way you change it back is to go to Contacts>Manage Contacts>View Contacts by> and pick DIsplay name, not email address. If you still have the custom name enabled.  It will change it back to email address.  I'm hoping that patchou will make it so it doesn't use the by "email address" but both or display name. So some people will and won't have custom names.   Point form if u guys dont' get it cause most people dont' get me :(

- NOT  a bug
- Part of plus
- Look at the screenshot
- No custom name = show email address
- Way to change it back
- And a request :)