Shoutbox

Turning your com off at the mains - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Turning your com off at the mains (/showthread.php?tid=35730)

Turning your com off at the mains by _Humphreys on 12-17-2004 at 01:43 PM

Hey! If any one could answer me this question that would be great. I get better explanations from you guys than the google crap so don't please just post the google pic. :(

Ok here goes. Does turning you computer off by the mains (plugs) when it's still running effect the computer in any way...if so how much damage? If it does cause damage does any one know a way to close down windows when it's frozen?

Thanks for answering in advance. :)

RE: Turning you com off at the mains by Underlord on 12-17-2004 at 01:52 PM

If it is frozen there is nothing to do but reset it :P.
Potentially pulling out the power while it is in use could lead to loss of data, but it's usually only minor things, or nothing noticable :).

RE: Turning you com off at the mains by kangie on 12-17-2004 at 01:58 PM

tbh.... i used to unplug it when it was on (cos i didnt know how to turn the damn thing off, n couldnt it if was frozen....)  and nothing noticable happened when it was turned back on :P  apart from wanting to do a disk scan for errors :)

RE: Turning you com off at the mains by Shadow Wolf on 12-17-2004 at 02:02 PM

yeah, i always just chuck off the switch, nutings ever happened to me (apart from didk check at start up, but i skip it :D).

if u want more technical info... ask someone else.

over and out

Shadow

RE: Turning you com off at the mains by _Humphreys on 12-17-2004 at 02:12 PM

I asked this as... Firefox died on me when I turned my com off at the mains :^) . My bookmarks got deleted and windows was saying the whole firefox 1.0 folder was corrupt. This has happend numerous times and it only happens when I turn it off at the mains.

RE: Turning you com off at the mains by CookieRevised on 12-17-2004 at 02:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Attitude Extreme
This has happend numerous times and it only happens when I turn it off at the mains.
Then don't....

There is a reason why Windows needs to be shut down properly!

Like Underlord said, pulling out the power while the PC is running with Windows could/will lead to dataloss because the computer always has many things in memory which need to be saved first. Useually these things don't involve critical data, but it might as well be files and stuff. Even when the data in memory wasn't critical it still can screw uw your HD; during the brief time when power is lost, there is no way to know how the components of your PC behave....

Obviously, turning off the power is the last the you should do when Windows is frozen. But make sure it IS absolutely frozen. Also don't pull out the plug of the socket, but rather use the on/off switch on the back of your computer!
RE: Turning you com off at the mains by _Humphreys on 12-17-2004 at 02:44 PM

* _Humphreys looks at he back of his computer...

There doesn't seem to be a switch there :| . Anyways i'll set the com to shut down when I press the power button. I don't know wether this would shut it down when it's froze... but i'll try it.

RE: Turning you com off at the mains by Anubis on 12-17-2004 at 03:16 PM

Actually, tbh, the damage to your HD isn't that bad if your computer is on NTFS file storage, FAT32 can easily be crippled by constantly doing this. Even so it's still not a good idea to do so constantly on NTFS.

quote:
There doesn't seem to be a switch there
Be careful! I've seen your comp and the red switch at the back of your computer switches it to the USA power system, which will kind of fuse your comp...the button on the front of your computer is the one you need to press...
RE: Turning you com off at the mains by user35870 on 12-17-2004 at 03:21 PM

My Game froze a couple of weeks a go lost all my saved game data :(

Not a good idea!

RE: Turning you com off at the mains by _Humphreys on 12-17-2004 at 03:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Be careful! I've seen your comp and the red switch at the back of your computer switches it to the USA power system, which will kind of fuse your comp...the button on the front of your computer is the one you need to press...

* _Humphreys looks more carefully...

Theres isn't a switch there Anubis.

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Actually, tbh, the damage to your HD isn't that bad if your computer is on NTFS file storage, FAT32 can easily be crippled by constantly doing this. Even so it's still not a good idea to do so constantly on NTFS.

I would swtich to NTFS but the com won't let me :^) .
RE: RE: Turning you com off at the mains by Anubis on 12-17-2004 at 03:38 PM

quote:
Theres isn't a switch there Anubis.

I could have swarn I saw it...

quote:
I would swtich to NTFS but the com won't let me :^) .

Of course it will, you just need to format your hard drive and when you put an OS on it you will have the option of switching to NTFS.
For your computer the best way is to format your hard drive and put on Windows 98 then when you upgrade to XP there is an option to use NTFS as your file storing system.
RE: Turning you com off at the mains by _Humphreys on 12-17-2004 at 03:49 PM

I'll try your advice Abubis. How long does it take to format it so I know when to start doing it. :P

RE: Turning you com off at the mains by matty on 12-17-2004 at 06:22 PM

I just thought I would add some information in here as well. AE if the PC is frozen then hold in the power button on the front, after 10seconds or so it should turn off. Now for formating the PC and reinstalling windows xp/2k on an NTFS partition you will need a Windows 98 boot disk. Once you have that insert the floppy and restart. At the A:\> type in format c: /autotest /q and press enter. That will quick format the drive for you.

Then once it is done type in smartdrv and press enter.

Then put in your Windows cd and then type this

e: and press enter
cd i386 and press enter
winnt

it will copy installation files to the HDD then once it reboots it will ask where you want to install windows and which partition you will be given an option to choose NTFS

RE: Turning you com off at the mains by Mike on 12-17-2004 at 06:41 PM

Just a question.
Why quick format?
Whats the difrence between quick format and full format?

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
e: and press enter
That will only work if you inserted the cd in drive e, Matty forgot to say.

RE: Turning you com off at the mains by kangie on 12-18-2004 at 11:25 AM

would a quick format not be quicker than a full one? :P

RE: RE: Turning you com off at the mains by Anubis on 12-18-2004 at 11:33 AM

A quick format is much faster. A quick format just formats the drive without asking any questions (no disk scans or looking for bad sectors involved)...
Oh and AE just a word of warning but I'm sure you know, :p back up all pr0n data on your computer that you need...since it will all be wiped in the format.

RE: Turning you com off at the mains by Fergy on 12-18-2004 at 11:53 AM

a quick format just erases the file allocation table, but the data is still stored on the disk, unindexed. this means a hacker with access to your hard drive could access this data. a full format erases any trace of data.

if your hard-disk is in read/write mode when you switch off you computer at the mains, it can damage the sector it was trying to read from/write to, notice when you shut down a computer that didnt automatically shut down and turn off, it shuts off the hard disk when it says: Your computer is ready to be turned off

RE: Turning you com off at the mains by Hank on 12-18-2004 at 11:58 AM

quote:
I asked this as... Firefox died on me when I turned my com off at the mains :^) . My bookmarks got deleted and windows was saying the whole firefox 1.0 folder was corrupt. This has happend numerous times and it only happens when I turn it off at the mains.

what you need or needed is a firefox extension called Bookmark Backup which can be found @ http://extensionroom.mozdev.org/
RE: Turning you com off at the mains by Anubis on 12-18-2004 at 01:04 PM

Actually I did a bit of reading on this and it might be wise to do a full format...so the hard drive can find the errors on the hard drive from your mains unplugging adventures...

quote:
How long does it take to format it so I know when to start doing it.
How do you expect us to work that out without information of your computers specs...you can't expect me to remember...
RE: Turning you com off at the mains by Fergy on 12-18-2004 at 01:13 PM

It doesnt take aaaages if that is what you are emplying, besides you'd have time on your hands if you were installing an operating system...

RE: Turning your com off at the mains by John Anderton on 12-18-2004 at 03:28 PM

This is what i know. If you turn off the pc at the mains then any running program may get corrupted ie its files may get corrupted. Usually this doesnt happen. But everytime you need to scan your disc. Its important. I Skipped my scan disc once when i had win 98 then my pc didn't work properly. I restarted my pc and then it never loaded windoze i mean windows again. So plz (due to any reason untill extremely important) skip scan discs. If your pc aint repondin then obviously try ctrl+alt+del
If that doesnt load then try pressing your num lock. If u have a light on your keyboard for it (i do) it should go on and off and if it doesn't then u've got no choice. Reset yr pc with the button on yr cpu or thru yr main switch. Newayz if anythibngs corrupted then windows will try to fix it.
I have noticed that If you have win xp then chances of your pc recovering after a program had hung is high and even if you have to reset yr pc then chances of any damage are low in win xp especially if you have an ntfs base instead of a fat 32 base. But if yr windows is totally gone like your win (xp) drive is been corrupted if you resetted yr pc then if you have a ntfs base then you cant recover the data from c drive as all the dos u load using a system disc has normal not ntfs dos. So then your in trouble.

RE: Turning your com off at the mains by matty on 12-18-2004 at 06:06 PM

Wow I didn't notice this thread had so many replys until now.

Ok the quick format will still ask questions but formats a 120gb drive in about 10 seconds.

The parameter of /autotest causes format to not ask any questions.

Mike2 what your forgetting is standard Windows 98 boot disk load a ram drive bumping all of your cd roms back one letter, so if it was D it becomes E.

Well I don't have time to reply to the rest of the posts I will do so when I get home from work...

RE: Turning your com off at the mains by CookieRevised on 12-18-2004 at 06:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
So plz (due to any reason untill extremely important) skip scan discs.
Can I ask to stop suggesting suchthings without backing things up with the proper knowledge. If there is a scandisk performed it is for a good reason. Suggestion to skip those just like that can be harmfull and bad...
RE: Turning your com off at the mains by _Humphreys on 12-18-2004 at 07:15 PM

Well Thank you all for your help. I will format my hard drive tomorrow to get rid of a lot of rubbish and to transition from fat 32 to NTFS. :)

Also John don't suggest things that you are not sure about or can't back up. :^)