Shoutbox

Quick Text drop-down. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: Quick Text drop-down. (/showthread.php?tid=35747)

Quick Text drop-down. by .blade// on 12-17-2004 at 10:02 PM

I was customizing a quick text (#13) today and it took me about 5 tries to get it completly right (it's a false action quick text). It gets kind of annoying to click the button 13 times x 5 (for those who are bad @ math that's 65 times o.O). I thought of something simeple to fix that - a drop-down menu. Image below:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=348530]

RE: Quick Text drop-down. by kangie on 12-17-2004 at 10:25 PM

wtf? why do you have to click a button heaps of times? and youd have to select from the dropdown menu loads of times.... prob needing to scroll down every time after a certain amount...
i dont get what youre trying to do! wanna explain? :P

RE: Quick Text drop-down. by .blade// on 12-17-2004 at 10:39 PM

With a drown down menu you can select, for example, quick text #13 instantly instead of hitting the "Next Quick Text" button 13 times...

RE: Quick Text drop-down. by user27089 on 12-17-2004 at 10:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
With a drown down menu you can select, for example, quick text #13 instantly instead of hitting the "Next Quick Text" button 13 times...

I agree, its a good idea and it annoys me when I have to click it loads of times.. it just gets rather annoying after a while and you've customized your quick texts a lot :)...
RE: Quick Text drop-down. by marissa on 12-17-2004 at 11:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor

I agree, its a good idea and it annoys me when I have to click it loads of times.. it just gets rather annoying after a while and you've customized your quick texts a lot :)...

well, this might be why the apply button is there! :o You simply add a quicktext, click apply, test it in an opened conversation window then you can go back to the preferences window and continue editing. I would also like this feature, becuase my solution doesnt always apply, like if you want to continue working on one from an hour ago or so.
RE: Quick Text drop-down. by .blade// on 12-17-2004 at 11:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by marissa

well, this might be why the apply button is there! :o You simply add a quicktext, click apply, test it in an opened conversation window then you can go back to the preferences window and continue editing. I would also like this feature, becuase my solution doesnt always apply, like if you want to continue working on one from an hour ago or so.

I usually use the quick button in the convo. window, and there are other uses to. Say Quick text 43 has a typo - luck you, you get to press the next button 43 times! :o :banana:....:dodgy:

RE: Quick Text drop-down. by ddunk on 12-18-2004 at 02:30 AM

What's wrong with holding the button down? :/

RE: Quick Text drop-down. by .blade// on 12-18-2004 at 03:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Ddunk

Sometimes you don't remember that quick text # ____ is the text for _____...
RE: Quick Text drop-down. by gnownoskcid on 12-18-2004 at 04:24 AM

quote:
O.o I didn't know you can hold the button down!!! *cires* wasted so many minutes of my life (really)
Anyway, I agree with blade and fully support this suggestion.
RE: Quick Text drop-down. by Patchou on 12-18-2004 at 07:40 AM

I agree, I should do that :)

RE: Quick Text drop-down. by Eljay on 12-18-2004 at 08:12 AM

i like this suggestion because quick texts are one of my  favourite things in plus!

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
:cheesy:yay:cheesy:
RE: Quick Text drop-down. by kangie on 12-18-2004 at 10:55 AM

oh i getcha :P i dont really use quicktexts tbh/.... so ive never had that problem :P

RE: Quick Text drop-down. by .blade// on 12-18-2004 at 02:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou

:D :banana:
RE: Quick Text drop-down. by FrozernFire on 12-18-2004 at 03:24 PM

great! that's a good addition considering that quick texts are fun in *certain* ways

RE: Quick Text drop-down. by CookieRevised on 12-18-2004 at 04:13 PM

[OFFTOPIC]

quote:
Originally posted by gnownoskcid
quote:
O.o I didn't know you can hold the button down!!! *cires* wasted so many minutes of my life (really)
Anyway, I agree with blade and fully support this suggestion.
That's normal Windows beheviour. Every button (which is used as an index in lists etc) can be hold down to scroll faster in 1 click. Every good program must behave this way (unless there is a very good solid reason not to do so). It is as logic as if you press "<-" means going back and "->" means going forward. Or that ALT-F4 means exiting the application. CTRL-C means copy, etc. That the tab key is used to scroll forward through objects (in the widest meaning) and that Shift-tab means scrolling back. That a scrollbar can be used to scroll through a list, that a dropdown menu works with the mouse and by using your keyboard arrows, etc... etc... etc...

My point is that such things shouldn't be something to be surprised upon, but rather should be taken (and known) as granted. And thus also made that way by programmers (if it isn't already done by default by the added controls).

;)

[/OFFTOPIC]