Shoutbox

cant remove ad-ware/sponsor - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+----- Thread: cant remove ad-ware/sponsor (/showthread.php?tid=35814)

cant remove ad-ware/sponsor by mackem on 12-19-2004 at 04:16 PM

i downloaded and installed messenger 7 and foolishly accepted the ads.

i cant uninstall the thing:@. i have tried to use the sticky in this forum but messenger plus 3 dosent show in the add/remove programs list:S

please please please help me as i have tried always to do this to no avail and am considering smashing my head against the wall via my monitor8o|

thx in advance.

RE: cant remove ad-ware/sponsor by Anubis on 12-19-2004 at 04:17 PM

Messenger 7 doesn't contain adware or a sponsor...are you talking about MSN Messenger or Messenger Plus?

RE: cant remove ad-ware/sponsor by mackem on 12-19-2004 at 04:40 PM

yeah sorry.

its the new beta patch for messenger plus

RE: cant remove ad-ware/sponsor by GiantSpider on 12-19-2004 at 04:43 PM

Uninstall Plus! DO NOT USE ANY FORM OF SPYWARE REMOVEAL TOOLS

RE: cant remove ad-ware/sponsor by mackem on 12-19-2004 at 05:18 PM

ok i'm sorted now thanx for the help.

RE: cant remove ad-ware/sponsor by kangie on 12-19-2004 at 05:19 PM

if you have got something like spybot, hat removed some of the adware files, youll have to uninstall plus, reinstall WITH the sponsor/adware,  uninstall, and then reinstall WITHOUT the sponsor/adware :P making sure the prog that damaged the sponsor is not running when you reinstalll that first time :)

RE: cant remove ad-ware/sponsor by Timoi on 12-21-2004 at 04:33 PM

And what if I can't uninstall messenger plus! at all? I tried just reinstallin it over itself but I still can't uninstall it and no matter if I choose to get the sponsor or not, it just stays there. How should I uninstall it in that case? I don't mind if this method just gets rid of messenger plus!, I can reinstall it later (btw i'm using the beta version)

RE: cant remove ad-ware/sponsor by GiantSpider on 12-21-2004 at 04:35 PM

Is it on your add/remove programs list?

RE: cant remove ad-ware/sponsor by Timoi on 12-21-2004 at 07:33 PM

nope... I tried to fix it with ad-aware not knowing what it was and now it's causing me problems...

RE: cant remove ad-ware/sponsor by GiantSpider on 12-21-2004 at 07:48 PM

ad-aware is the last thing you needed to do. Re-install Plus! with the sponser then un-install.

RE: cant remove ad-ware/sponsor by Timoi on 12-21-2004 at 11:08 PM

To answer this I shall quote myself...

quote:
Originally posted by Timoi
I tried just reinstalling it over itself but I still can't uninstall (it still isn't in the add/remoce programs section) it and no matter if I choose to get the sponsor or not (I tried multiple times both ways), it (the sponsor) just stays there.

I just added the things in parenthesis...

We did so many things to this that i'm almost supprised it's still working at all... (we tried HJT, Lop Uninstaller, Killbox, Ad-Aware, a bunch of different antivirusses and some trojan killers... and mabe I even missed some!!!)
RE: cant remove ad-ware/sponsor by _Humphreys on 12-22-2004 at 12:15 AM

Don't use any other programs such as ad-aware on the sponsor. If the reinstall plus! method isn't working use this : http://lop.com/new_uninstall.exe I am sure this will get rid of it. If you have used it once and it didn't do the job a second try wouldn't hurt.

Also you can watch Traxors uninstalltion video if by any chance you did something wrong when trying to uninstall it. http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=34...d=338607#pid338607

RE: cant remove ad-ware/sponsor by Timoi on 12-22-2004 at 12:46 AM

The video isn't working...

RE: cant remove ad-ware/sponsor by _Humphreys on 12-22-2004 at 12:50 AM

Sorry this is down I forgot kaonet was shutting down.

I'll make a quick one now. :)

Edit :

Here it is : http://ax19.killercarrot.co.uk/Sponsor%20removal%20vid.wmv

RE: cant remove ad-ware/sponsor by Timoi on 12-22-2004 at 03:43 AM

Nice video... but Messenger Plus! 3 is not in the add/remove progam list (I use Windows ME mabe that has something to do with it?)

Edit

I just noticed the site you use. Weird I once had killercarrot.co.uk as my home page. It was put there by some form of spyware or adware for all I know...*-)

RE: cant remove ad-ware/sponsor by Fergy on 12-22-2004 at 04:14 AM

I suggest Searching your hard disk for uninstall programs.

RE: cant remove ad-ware/sponsor by Timoi on 12-22-2004 at 03:41 PM

I found many but none in the Messenger Plus! 3 folder....

RE: cant remove ad-ware/sponsor by Fergy on 12-22-2004 at 04:27 PM

usually there are some in your windows folder and subfolders, check there

RE: cant remove ad-ware/sponsor by Mike on 12-22-2004 at 04:31 PM

Note: You must uninstall with the account you installed Messenger Plus! (I think)
So login to the account Messenger Plus! was installed and see if it is in that list of Add/Remove programs :)

RE: cant remove ad-ware/sponsor by Timoi on 12-22-2004 at 05:31 PM

no worry mike2, I only have one account on this computer (windows ME didn't work well with more than one anyways)

I'll look there fergy. Thanks

Edit:
nope, nothing there (concerning plus!) either

Edit:

If someone read what I just deleted never mind, my mistake I found out what was wrong.

Edit:
Anyone has anymore suggestions?

Edit:
Getting this fixed would be a nice christmas present if you see what I mean

;-)