Shoutbox

Discovering whats on each COM Port - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Discovering whats on each COM Port (/showthread.php?tid=35823)

Discovering whats on each COM Port by Vazza on 12-19-2004 at 07:57 PM

Hoping someone can help me.

Is there anyway to discover what is runing on each COM port? I have Windows XP and to use the data cable I have requires COM ports 1 or 3. I know that COM 3 is used by my modem but COM 1 is also in use. I've tried going trough all the devices but nothing has shown COM 1. Anyway of finding out (what is it usually used for?)

RE: Discovering whats on each COM Port by CookieRevised on 12-19-2004 at 08:01 PM

COM 1 and COM 3 are physically the same port, just as COM 2 and COM 4 are physically the same port...

RE: Discovering whats on each COM Port by Vazza on 12-19-2004 at 08:13 PM

so basically if I add the cable to COM 1 I could theroritically mess up the modem?

RE: Discovering whats on each COM Port by RaceProUK on 12-20-2004 at 06:06 PM

Can't the cable use COM2? If not, move the modem to COM2.

RE: Discovering whats on each COM Port by CookieRevised on 12-20-2004 at 10:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Vazza
so basically if I add the cable to COM 1 I could theroritically mess up the modem?
no, you can't mess things up with a serial port. (well, never say never of course :p). Seriously, the only thing that would happen is that your modem will not be hooked up.... So do as raceprouk said switch your modem to use com2, or switch your datacable to use com2...

Without special interface cards a PC only has 2 com ports at the most (and modern pc's often have only 1); Don't let the "com 1/com 3" mislead you, they are the same port, they only use a different address.
RE: Discovering whats on each COM Port by Vazza on 12-21-2004 at 01:29 PM

Well thanks forall your help. The only think I can think of is that the driver wasn't properly configured as when I attempted to get it to go in last night, it found the cable on COM4 and allowed me to select that.

I did try moving stuff around onto different ports but then the cable refused to communicate with the phone...oh well, its sorted now. Once again. Thanks