Shoutbox

i suggest you move the forum. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: i suggest you move the forum. (/showthread.php?tid=36009)

i suggest you move the forum. by megamuff on 12-25-2004 at 11:38 PM

i suggest you move the entire forum to proboards. for the past few days, this forum has been down. and even before that, it has just gone rediculously slow.. proboards is always fast, and i have never seen downtime there.

RE: i suggest you move the forum. by Plik on 12-25-2004 at 11:45 PM

We should be getting a new server soon, courtesy of C2Media but its taking agers :dodgy:
And the latest outage was from dodgy unpatched PHPbb's on one of the others sites on this server
wj's reply to WHY??

RE: i suggest you move the forum. by wj on 12-25-2004 at 11:50 PM

Proboards? Wow, We would kill there servers. Litterally, With the ammount of traffic this site recieves, we would either catch there server on fire or get our selfs kicked off.

Yeah, We've had a total of 19 hours of downtime in the last month because of dodgy php(bb) related exploits. It pisses me off to no extent but still. We are nearing completion of the new server. Were securing it and setting up DNS on it now. So the move will happen soon enough.

RE: i suggest you move the forum. by Stigmata on 12-25-2004 at 11:52 PM

Congrats

i was going to say the same about proboards as well :D

* Stigmata hates the admin area on proboards...

RE: RE: i suggest you move the forum. by megamuff on 12-25-2004 at 11:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wj
Proboards? Wow, We would kill there servers. Litterally, With the ammount of traffic this site recieves, we would either catch there server on fire or get our selfs kicked off.

i dunno this cant add THAT much to their load.. they already get over 12 million hits /day
RE: i suggest you move the forum. by wj on 12-26-2004 at 04:36 AM

Ha. This site used to be hosted on Ezboard (or something similar) and it was a strain as it was. We wouldnt be able to move the member databse, none of the posts, it would be a fresh start on a more restrictive, slower service. Proboards is great for your avarage joe muff but it doesnt work for a community with 40,000+ members.

So. I'll close this thread and pretend a free forum hosting service could handle this forum in it's current state/capicity.