Shoutbox

two reputation things - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: two reputation things (/showthread.php?tid=36033)

two reputation things by saralk on 12-26-2004 at 04:07 PM

firstly - I don't think you should be able to vote on someone who's post count is below 100, the main reason is that if they are not allowed to vote for anyone because they dont have enough posts, we shouldnt be allowed to vote for them.
Also it can take a while for people to get used to the way the forum works, so if they start out as a spammer, and get a really low reputation it may scare them off, however if they start out as a spammer and we tell them not to spam etc... they may eventually stop and could become a helpful member of the community.

secondly - Since the feedback page looks like the eBay page, then why not have a indicator showing how many votes are positive.
Also a chance for members to reply about votes. For example if someone says "he called me a ____" then the person can reply and say "that was taken out of context" or whatever.

RE: two reputation things by user27089 on 12-26-2004 at 05:52 PM

I don't agree with the below post count reputation, I think it should be there, because if a n00b is constantly spamming, then we report them, and we can give them a lower reputation for doing so.

I like the second Idea part though, I think there should also be a report for offensive reputation votes aswell, cause some are quite bad..

RE: two reputation things by Titty on 12-26-2004 at 10:39 PM

lol, I would like to give some people positive counts, because they're good posters.  But I can't yet.. That's fine. 

Someone gave me a positive count.
Sadly I can't return the favor. lol.

Anyway, the second idea, I agree with.
So you have a chance to reply and defend yourself..

RE: two reputation things by L. Coyote on 12-26-2004 at 11:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Titty
IMO, this is wrong. I too was given a positive reputation point, but I won't "return the favor", because it seems wrong to me. I first need to see if the person is not a spammer or acts according to the forum rules.

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
I don't agree with the below post count reputation, I think it should be there, because if a n00b is constantly spamming, then we report them, and we can give them a lower reputation for doing so.
I agree with you. After all, this is what causes some newbies to change for good.

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
secondly - Since the feedback page looks like the eBay page, then why not have a indicator showing how many votes are positive.
Also a chance for members to reply about votes. For example if someone says "he called me a ____" then the person can reply and say "that was taken out of context" or whatever.
This I agree with, one should be able to reply to the comments (and edit the reply if the other person edited their comment!).
RE: two reputation things by paperless on 12-26-2004 at 11:06 PM

I dont agree with the replies thing that could make the page full jsut with them but i would agree if it could be expansible and u could remove the replies and just read the opinions EDIT: i read it wrong i tought it would make people able to reply to the others's users opinions but i realised that only the user "reputationed" could, in this case i agree.

And about the spam things and new user part you can change your opinion at any time about that user  think...

RE: RE: two reputation things by Titty on 12-26-2004 at 11:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UglyBoy
quote:
IMO, this is wrong. I too was given a positive reputation point, but I won't "return the favor", because it seems wrong to me. I first need to see if the person is not a spammer or acts according to the forum rules.

I'm pretty sure that the ones eligible to vote for others are not
spammers, or act according to the forum rules.

RE: two reputation things by L. Coyote on 12-26-2004 at 11:11 PM

quote:
I'm pretty sure that the ones eligible to vote for others are not spammers, or act according to the forum rules.
:) Anyone above 100 posts can vote, this can be a spammer or not.
RE: RE: two reputation things by paperless on 12-26-2004 at 11:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by UglyBoy
quote:
I'm pretty sure that the ones eligible to vote for others are not spammers, or act according to the forum rules.
:) Anyone above 100 posts can vote, this can be a spammer or not.

Lol trust me, admins here are very strict in terms of spam comparing to other forums im in....u can be sure that 99% of the posts of a user are not spam(here)... and i think its well done because in this forum there is a T&T u can make a new topic saying hi and they dont care...

On the other forums there isnt something like that.. (at least the ones im in).

I see a lot of spam there.. like u make a new topic asking anyone know bla bla and ther eis very comon seeiing "no i dont" replies...
RE: two reputation things by L. Coyote on 12-26-2004 at 11:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by paperless
Lol trust me, admins here are very strict in terms of spam comparing to other forums im in
Yes, there's no doubt about that. And I don't think I said that everything here was spam :s

But it doesn't mean that all spammers or people who do something bad (as in insult others or give them an unjustified rep.) are seen right away.

I should step out before my words are misunderstood. :(
RE: two reputation things by user27089 on 12-27-2004 at 01:11 AM

I think that we should be able to vote them as spammers to be honest :p... why should we not be able to vote users under 100 posts for constantly spamming, but we can give negative reputation to spammers that are above 100 posts, its just ludacris IMO.

RE: two reputation things by WDZ on 12-27-2004 at 05:11 AM

quote:
firstly - I don't think you should be able to vote on someone who's post count is below 100, the main reason is that if they are not allowed to vote for anyone because they dont have enough posts, we shouldnt be allowed to vote for them.
I don't agree. The reason why users with less than 100 posts can't vote is that they might abuse the system by making useless accounts just for voting. There is no similar reason for stopping users who do have 100+ posts from voting for users with less. I believe the current rule is fair, because you earn the privilege to vote by posting.

quote:
Also it can take a while for people to get used to the way the forum works, so if they start out as a spammer, and get a really low reputation it may scare them off
Or help them to realize and correct their mistakes! I don't think newbies will get negative votes just for being newbies. They have to actually do something stupid that gets them noticed.

quote:
What do you mean? There are already counts of how many votes are positive/neutral/negative...

quote:
Also a chance for members to reply about votes.
In other words, a place dedicated to arguments. I dunno about that... :dodgy:
RE: two reputation things by leito on 12-27-2004 at 05:53 AM

quote:
Also a chance for members to reply about votes.

I don't agree, this would be a mess.

quote:
I think there should also be a report for offensive reputation votes aswell, cause some are quite bad..

I agree, and not only ofensive but.. "stupid" or "favor" votes.

quote:

Maybe a short text that people had to read before voting, could correct things like this. The reputation system is not about favors.
RE: two reputation things by saralk on 12-27-2004 at 08:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
What do you mean? There are already counts of how many votes are positive/neutral/negative...

ok, i dont know what i was talking about then, but what i actually meant in my mind, was a feedback percentage, like in eBay
RE: two reputation things by Plik on 12-27-2004 at 09:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by leito.gt
quote:
I think there should also be a report for offensive reputation votes aswell, cause some are quite bad..

I agree, and not only ofensive but.. "stupid" or "favor" votes.
I agree with that, you do need some way of reporting bad reps.

RE: two reputation things by John Anderton on 12-28-2004 at 12:05 PM

I think that we should be allowed to vote for the ppl having posts<100 but they should be given a chance to improve cause it may happen that a person mabbe a spammer at first and then change his wayz but some ppl may forget/not see/ignore(I hope not) to change their vote. Most ppl here who can and do vote for most ppl r really active but some are not then atleast they should be told thru that info page to review that vote they give. Can there be a system where by we get a msg after 60/90 dayz or so that we voted for someone and mabbe we should review our vote ??

RE: two reputation things by user27089 on 12-28-2004 at 01:47 PM

I don't think that there is any use for the 90 day notification, its just useless, and a waste-of-space IMO. If you genuinely voted for them, then you should remember if it was negative or not, therefore, if you believe that they have changed enough, then you would do so anyway or something....

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by WDZ

ok, i dont know what i was talking about then, but what i actually meant in my mind, was a feedback percentage, like in eBay

Wouldn't really see the point, this is a Forum, not some crazy little technology site that needs to have really good Reputation systems, I mean, its an amazing system, and it doesn't need any improvements.
RE: two reputation things by Pr0xY on 01-03-2005 at 10:18 PM

quote:
I kind of had the same idea, since I dont like the way it is displayed now either, especially having it displayed the way it is under your post count on all the posts you make. 

Say you have 9 positive votes, and 4 negitive notes, Could it be displayed like this:

Something like that? that way it shows what the user truely has.  I dont know how the neutral votes would work into that, but it seems like a better idea then what we have now.

Note* Got idea from another forum

RE: two reputation things by s7a5 on 01-08-2005 at 09:32 AM

while we are still on topic i was thinkin that it would be a useful feature if we could sort members by their reputation status in the "member list" for more flexibility

RE: two reputation things by user27089 on 01-08-2005 at 09:43 AM

quote:
Originally posted by distorted
while we are still on topic i was thinkin that it would be a useful feature if we could sort members by their reputation status in the "member list" for more flexibility

THats a good idea, and maybe do it on stats on the forum index aswell, so that you can see who has the best reputation! (y)

RE: two reputation things by surfichris on 01-08-2005 at 09:57 AM

No, because then it would be used as a system to rate others bad to get higher on the list, a competition to be up there near the top.

RE: two reputation things by user27089 on 01-08-2005 at 10:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
No, because then it would be used as a system to rate others bad to get higher on the list, a competition to be up there near the top.

I didn't really think of this factor, I suppose that it would probably be taken as a competition and cause arguments etc. but surely, if people were mature, and we had this and the 'report reputation' feature, then it shouldn't get too bad, because if you notice that everyone is suddenly constantly looking at the reputation points top 15 or whatever and moving up because the others are around, people will report it etc. but I'm sure that there are 15 people on top that will be generally mature anyway, because these people include all of the forum staff, i doubt they would abuse the system...
RE: two reputation things by WDZ on 01-08-2005 at 10:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
Uhh... yeah. :p

I'm not gonna add any best/worst reputation stats. Sure, it would be interesting (and only interesting - not useful), but there would be competition, and that would lead to more votes without good reasons. Also, people with negative reputations would get more negative attention... probably.

TBH, I already coded a stats page for reputations, but then decided not to use it. :blah!: