Shoutbox

pc fan working strange - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: pc fan working strange (/showthread.php?tid=36089)

pc fan working strange by MC.POP on 12-27-2004 at 08:15 PM

look i dont know is this is a problem but my PC fan works every 5 mins and when i first bought this pc it didnt do this at all, i appreciate all the help*-)

RE: pc fan working strange by .blade// on 12-27-2004 at 08:24 PM

You should stop using your PC until you can fix the fan or buy a new one because otherwise you could cook your CPU to toasty goodness :P

Blade's  fried CPU

Side note: This is my 2000th post :o :banana: :pound:

RE: pc fan working strange by MC.POP on 12-27-2004 at 08:26 PM

mine is a celeron too, but cant it bee fixed

RE: pc fan working strange by .blade// on 12-27-2004 at 08:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MC.POP
mine is a celeron too, but cant it bee fixed

If the fan isn't working then it's prety hard to fix. I suggest buying a new one (they're like $20) and putting it on. Until you fix it, DO NOT USE THE COMPUTER!
RE: pc fan working strange by MC.POP on 12-27-2004 at 09:10 PM

it is working
but it works alot

Edit: i found the problem i had to update the BIOS

RE: RE: pc fan working strange by paperless on 12-28-2004 at 12:20 AM

quote:
it is working
but it works alot

Edit: i found the problem i had to update the BIOS

:S what the hell has bios to do with the fan? maybe it was a coindience .. lol okay but probably the fan was the one in the energy source? in this time of the year is very common.. look im not an hardware pro maybe bios has really something to do with fan.. but looks strange how it cxan affect it
RE: pc fan working strange by MC.POP on 12-28-2004 at 12:23 AM

ok just like u I DONT KNOW all i know i had an old version of bios and it did affect it

RE: pc fan working strange by Plik on 12-28-2004 at 12:29 AM

my bios can control the fan speed, in relation to cpu temp so i gess bios can control the fans

RE: pc fan working strange by Kryptonate on 12-28-2004 at 12:30 AM

normally a fan is not connected to the motherboard, unless you connect it to it so you can read the rmp with a program.

RE: pc fan working strange by MC.POP on 12-28-2004 at 12:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by madman66
my bios can control the fan speed, in relation to cpu temp so i gess bios can control the fans

don't u ever realize that if u have alot of programs going on the PC the fan starts to run so a new version of bios makes it easier for other computers  but i dont know whats wrong with celerons

RE: pc fan working strange by Plik on 12-28-2004 at 12:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
normally a fan is not connected to the motherboard, unless you connect it to it so you can read the rmp with a program.
Most motherboards offer some sort of CPU fan monitoring feature. And most have a feature that slows the fan down when theres low system load, making it quiter.
Plus it can shut down the computer if the fan fails.
So its generaly a good idea to plug your CPU fan into the mother board.
RE: pc fan working strange by MC.POP on 12-28-2004 at 12:40 AM

for all of u the fan is connected to the cpu, if it wasnt it wouldnt know when to turn on or off ,if there is a load on the cpu it turns on ,if there isnt any load it becomes quiter and quiter untill it turns off.

RE: pc fan working strange by Kryptonate on 12-28-2004 at 12:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by madman66
quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
Most motherboards offer some sort of CPU fan monitoring feature. And most have a feature that slows the fan down when theres low system load, making it quiter.
Plus it can shut down the computer if the fan fails.
So its generaly a good idea to plug your CPU fan into the mother board.
I didn't knew we were talking about the cpu fan. Thought about fans in general. Most motherboards of these days will shut down when it's getting to hot, but you don't know how old his one is.
RE: pc fan working strange by Plik on 12-28-2004 at 12:47 AM

In general the fan is always on, and never turns of.
Because if it did there would be a build up of hot air around the heatsink, which would eventially stop the heatsink transfering heat away from the cpu, then frying the cpu.
You can get passive heatsinks (with out fans). But these are a lot bigger than a heatsink with a fan. And you still need a resonably good airflow around the case to shift the air away from the heatsink.

RE: pc fan working strange by MC.POP on 12-28-2004 at 12:52 AM

mine is a laptop so it has a fan on the motherboard

RE: pc fan working strange by Jhrono on 12-28-2004 at 06:14 PM

quote:
ok just like u I DONT KNOW all i know i had an old version of bios and it did affect it

may it be a pure coincidence?...'cause if the fan started to work strangly now and ur pc (i assume) it isnt new...so ur bios hasn't got anything to do..if it has it had started when u turned the pc 4 the first time (i think) or if you ddl a dodgy bios update and then the noise started(wich didn't happen cause u didn't metion it)