Shoutbox

SMS.. a solution plz? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: SMS.. a solution plz? (/showthread.php?tid=36152)

SMS.. a solution plz? by Arobas on 12-29-2004 at 07:50 PM

sorry for my bad english :P i came here to see a solution for sending an alert to my cell phone using msn mobile. I read a lot of posts about this subject and the main problem was : "we need something, a program to send sms"...

Welll NOOOOOOO... you know why? to send a sms to yourself (supposing that you are registred to msn mobile).. you only have to add yourself to your contact list. Now, if you want to send a message to your cellphone, you only need to open a windows conversation with you, and every messages sent, will be sent to your cellphone! :) no need third-party or shit like that..

Now.. for the programmation part, it's another thing, im not a programmer but i know the base.. im probably sure that it's possible to do something with that..

Programmers.. talk! :)

Is it possible?

Thanx!

RE: SMS.. a solution plz? by xpirdwingz on 12-31-2004 at 09:31 PM

I have msn mobile too! I don't know anything about programming though, sorry. My cellphone isn't on contract so I get charged 20p for each alert I get. For me, you don't have to just open up a conversation window with yourself, you can just send an email (although, I guess it would be kind of slower).

~Happy New Year's Eve~

RE: SMS.. a solution plz? by Dane on 01-01-2005 at 12:01 AM

Erm...I doubt a solution will be available for this because programming for mobile phones is really hard.

RE: SMS.. a solution plz? by Menthix on 01-01-2005 at 03:30 PM

What Arobas means is:

When you have you mobile phone number published in Messenger trough MSN Mobile. To do this, go to: Tools > Options > Phone > click "Mobile Settings".  There you will need to sign in with your MSN account and fill in your mobile phone number. Once you have that done, be sure "Allow people on my contact list to send messages..." is checked in your options too. After that, add your own emailadress to your contactlist.

Now, whenever you doubleclick your own name in your contactlist a window will open, but instead of a chat window this is a Mobile Device window. Every message you type there will be send as a SMS to your mobile phone.

So there isn't any mobile phone programming involed. I think Arobas has a good point, and it could be usefull for certain things too. Guess it shouldn't be that hard to program such a thing. However, a limitation is that you can send SMS to yourself when you are on "appear offline" status.

RE: SMS.. a solution plz? by TechkNighT on 01-09-2005 at 06:59 AM

(Y)(Y)  This will be "The Coolest Option" !!!!!  (Y)(Y)(Y)

RE: SMS.. a solution plz? by aNILEator on 01-09-2005 at 11:10 AM

won't this cost?

RE: SMS.. a solution plz? by Menthix on 01-09-2005 at 01:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly
won't this cost?
Yes it does, you have to pay per recieved SMS. The money will be taken from your mobile phone accouny/prepaid card. The price per SMS depends on your country and network.

You can loopup your own prices by visiting http://mobile.msn.com . Login there, set your own country and network and lookup the prices.

I still think it's a nice feature, but it would be nice if you can set a limit to how many messages you can recieve per day or something.
RE: SMS.. a solution plz? by Stephan123 on 01-09-2005 at 01:58 PM

i think it is not a good idea,you can SMS of your own phone right?

RE: SMS.. a solution plz? by Menthix on 01-09-2005 at 02:14 PM

This solution will send SMS messages only to your own phone. It's something you can use to send important messages to your own mobile phone, when you are away from your PC but still signed in with Messenger.

In other cases this solution will indeed not be helpfull.

RE: SMS.. a solution plz? by TechkNighT on 01-09-2005 at 06:02 PM

Many phone companies has web sms for free from their sites... but i wouldlike to use an email to my phone in the format mynumber@myphonecompany.com.br with the user that has signed in as the subject or the main message. it's just to warn if someone i reakky want to see has entered in MSN... then... i return to my desktop or enter in msn from another computer.

I think some plugin maker, or Patchou himself ;) could find this easy to make, just like a specific sound for online, an email sent with that contact in subject or msg.