Shoutbox

P4 1.8 GHz vs. Celeron 2.7 GHz - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: P4 1.8 GHz vs. Celeron 2.7 GHz (/showthread.php?tid=36164)

P4 1.8 GHz vs. Celeron 2.7 GHz by leito on 12-30-2004 at 09:52 AM

A very important friend of mine, is buying a laptop.

She found two a Toshiba with a Celeron 2.7 GHz and a Compaq Presario with a P4 1.8 Ghz, all other specifications are the same, and the price is the same. What she should buy? She's studing Computer Science with me.

And if someone could tell me de diference between a Celeron and a Pentium? Thanks, I have read a lot, and still doesn't get the point.

Thanks again for your help.

RE: P4 1.8 GHz vs. Celeron 2.7 GHz by Anubis on 12-30-2004 at 10:19 AM

It really depends on what the computer is going to be used for...if it's just work then the Celeron may be better...but if you'd prefer to use it for high end graphics design (like 3D rendering) and games then the Pentium 4 is better...I'm more tempted to go with the Pentium 4 1.8ghz

RE: P4 1.8 GHz vs. Celeron 2.7 GHz by Underlord on 12-30-2004 at 11:49 AM

Of my experiences with Celerons they are only worthy of the bin.
In saying that i'd have to go with the P4 1.8 GHZ.

RE: P4 1.8 GHz vs. Celeron 2.7 GHz by Kryptonate on 12-30-2004 at 01:00 PM

quote:
Originally posted by leito.gt
And if someone could tell me de diference between a Celeron and a Pentium? Thanks, I have read a lot, and still doesn't get the point.
I don't know if you have already read this: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question268.htm. Basically it says a P4 has a better performance because it uses more cache and has a better bus speed.

If it's the same price I would advise her to buy the P4 one.
RE: P4 1.8 GHz vs. Celeron 2.7 GHz by leito on 12-30-2004 at 06:27 PM

She's is using the computer for basic tasks (download music, play  music, play videos, download videos, documents, maybe a game... etc.) and for its career, so maybe she'll be using java, php, c++, etc.

I don't think she will be editing video, or rendering 3D graphics.

Thnx Kryptonate, but that page compares P4 (in General) vs. Celeron (in General). I still have my doubts, considering that this P4 (1.8 Ghz) is one of the first P4, and the Celeron (2.7 Ghz) is one of the newst Celerons. So this is like comparing the best Celeron vs one of the worst P4, does the P4 still win?

RE: P4 1.8 GHz vs. Celeron 2.7 GHz by user27089 on 12-30-2004 at 06:35 PM

Ithinkt hat the p4 would still win.... It seems more superior, most of the celerons that I've used have not been very reliable......

RE: P4 1.8 GHz vs. Celeron 2.7 GHz by Kryptonate on 12-30-2004 at 06:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by leito.gt
Thnx Kryptonate, but that page compares P4 (in General) vs. Celeron (in General). I still have my doubts, considering that this P4 (1.8 Ghz) is one of the first P4, and the Celeron (2.7 Ghz) is one of the newst Celerons. So this is like comparing the best Celeron vs one of the worst P4, does the P4 still win?
I think the P4 is still better, I never used a Celeron before, but looking at the experiences of others I think she would be better of with the P4.
RE: P4 1.8 GHz vs. Celeron 2.7 GHz by leito on 12-30-2004 at 07:01 PM

Ok, I think P4 wins, I have a P4 (1.8 Ghz) in my Desktop, so I guess it won't be to different the performance between my Desktop and her Laptop, oh, but the laptop has 512 MB ram, and mine only 256 MB ram.