Shoutbox

Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? (/showthread.php?tid=36170)

Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by John Anderton on 12-30-2004 at 12:54 PM

Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? :)
Please participate in the poll and also post here.
In the post plz mention
1) Name of browser
2) Website
3) Lisence (free/shareware/licence reqd+Cost)
4) Why do u use that over others (like special features)

Lets see which browser is the most used !! :D

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by Stigmata on 12-30-2004 at 12:58 PM

deja vu??

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by John Anderton on 12-30-2004 at 01:01 PM

No actually there was a mistake. I posted this but i forgot to click on the post sign :) So i had to delete it cause i dont think i could have added a post later could i ?? So i made it again. Sorry for the inconvienience ;)

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by Kryptonate on 12-30-2004 at 01:04 PM

no, don't start another browser war, there have been enough on this forum. It will end up at a big discussion between those who prefer Firefox and those who prefer IE-based browsers. And then you have Cookie who uses Netscape :p.
And there will be (ofcourse) no clear winner.

IE is still the most used browser, because it's part of Windows. Altough it is losing some market share to Firefox.

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by Ash_ on 12-30-2004 at 01:08 PM

Mosaic :refuck:

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by John Anderton on 12-30-2004 at 01:12 PM

Let's See that in the poll's shall we ;)
Here's my idea
Name: Internet Explorer EDIT 2: Now firefox
Licence: Free (No) EDIT (2): Still Free :refuck:
Special Features: I already have it so i use it. Haven't seen anything special newhere so i use IE6 Sp2 :) EDIT (2): Too many to list. Favorite extensions .... Gmail notifier and weather notifier (So cool :))

If anyone thinks elsewise please post especially the special features column so as to why you use it

EDIT: After seeing Ash_'s post i had to add the Others button plz vote again i.e. who ever had voted before this post. SORRY :$ (A)

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by user35870 on 12-30-2004 at 01:14 PM

Name: Internet Explorer
Licence: Free
Special Features: it has a pop up blocker (thats all :P)

but use firefox most of the time :D

Name: mozilla firefox
Special Features: faster,more safer than ie,others

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by -dt- on 12-30-2004 at 01:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ash_
Mosaic :refuck:
blah :P i prefer the Lynx browser (website)
RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by Anubis on 12-30-2004 at 01:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
i prefer the Lynx browser
lol. Smell nice while browsing, nice idea :p

I'm the common of earth Firefox dude...I don't use IE because of the obvious fact that it hasn't been updated to cope with security threats (ActiveX things mainly) and MS are hoping that SP2 will have other security features that will distract you from the obvious faults of IE. I used to use Internet Explorer until I gave Firefox a go and it was great, new features, skins to suit your likes, better security and browsing isn't browsing until you've used tabbed browsing, pages load faster when under LAG (or even in general) and a really good intelligent pop-up blocker...I think everyone here knows this anyway...
Bottom Line: If you don't mind lack of features and security use IE, if you like useful extras and faster safer browsing go with Firefox.
RE: RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by Ash_ on 12-30-2004 at 01:44 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Bottom Line: If you don't mind lack of features and security use IE, if you like useful extras and faster safer browsing go with Firefox.

and if your not a big fan of images go with lynx or mosaic :P

but seriously i do use firefox incase anyone cared :P
RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by John Anderton on 12-30-2004 at 01:47 PM

Really is it that quick ?? Very less loading time ?? What 'bout that system memory used ?? And whats the cost ?? Free rite ?
I couldn't find the answers and since so many ppl use firefox now its showing a clear 20:80 advantage 4 FireFox so i thought i might. Mainly i liked Anubis's comments ;) Thanks man !!

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by Concord Dawn on 12-30-2004 at 01:53 PM

Name: Mozilla Firefox
Liscense: Free!!!!!!! /sevillaugh :P
Special Features: Intelligent pop-up blocker, more secure, skinnable, supports plugins, tabbed browsing, faster load times, supports more protocols (such as gopher, but I don't think anyone cares :P)

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by f1d0d1d08989 on 12-30-2004 at 01:54 PM

I use firefox because I just dont want to use Microsoft products. If its not my sis, and MSN Messenger, I would use RedHat Linux already...

Besides, WinXP SP2 just made me more irritated with it. I dont care about the security of my PC, at the most, a reformat! :D

Haha...But I prefer firefox because it has tabbed browsing, consume lesser memory than IE sometimes(I dont really know actually, with that Google Compute running in the background...), and I need to work with other browsers to check that the webpages that I create works...:D

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by Anubis on 12-30-2004 at 01:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
What 'bout that system memory used
About the same, but firefox uses less on my computer.
quote:
And whats the cost ??
Freeeeeee :p
The url is http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by user35870 on 12-30-2004 at 02:48 PM

but firefox seems to take longer to start than ie why?

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by John Anderton on 12-30-2004 at 02:55 PM

Really !! but anubis said otherwise ?
* John Anderton is confused
* John Anderton still continues to download firefox

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by CookieRevised on 12-30-2004 at 03:09 PM

tbh, almost all browser have the same features, there are no "special features" in any of them which the others don't have. It all comes down to what you prefer as the interface. period...

And John Anderton, Stigmata said also "deja vu" because every two months or so there is exactly the same thread (which always ends up being a browser war)...

Stop browser wars, just select what you use, but don't list the "special features" because as said, every browser has the same ones, there is nothing special/unique about it.

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by John Anderton on 12-30-2004 at 03:15 PM

OK cookie_revised. Ur rite :). We already heard u use netscape. So ur the only one voting for it :P
EDITED AFTER -DT-'S COMMENTS: Really -dt- !!!

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by -dt- on 12-30-2004 at 03:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chris100
IE is built into the kernal so part of it starts when the system boots up  so when you run it , it opens really fast because it kinda was already running
RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by megamuff on 12-30-2004 at 03:20 PM

ugh.. you firefox users ought to stop posting your horrible lies about firefox and IE. getting infected by ANYTHING while using internet explorer, is the fault of the user for being so careless, not the fault of the browser. even so, you have no proof that firefox is MORE secure than IE. if in doubt, install basic protection like spywareblaster, avg, and a firewall. firefox is also no faster than IE, and it displays many websites wrong.

the main reason i use IE, is because it is the ONLY browser that supports code that the majority of the internet use. example, does anyone else here happen to know that firefox does not support something so simple as setting the background from within the body tag?!

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by Anubis on 12-30-2004 at 03:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

Stop browser wars, just select what you use, but don't list the "special features" because as said, every browser has the same ones, there is nothing special/unique about it.
IE doesn't have tabbed browsing though...or an adaptable plugin allowance...The features may be in other browsers, but there's no denying lacks of IE's features

quote:
Really !! but anubis said otherwise ?
I didn't...read what I said...I said it loads pages quicker. On slow computers it takes a second to start up...
RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by Menthix on 12-30-2004 at 03:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by f1d0d1d08989
its not my sis, and MSN Messenger, I would use RedHat Linux already...

Besides, WinXP SP2 just made me more irritated with it. I dont care about the security of my PC, at the most, a reformat!
Don't go with Linux :s. You say you don't want SP2 because you don't care about security. 90% of all the updates you will ever get for Linux will be security related updates. An OS like Linux is all focused around security. Íf you don't even want to install SP2 to secure your self, then don't bother installing
Linux.

RE: RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by megamuff on 12-30-2004 at 03:27 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

IE doesn't have tabbed browsing though...or an adaptable plugin allowance...The features may be in other browsers, but there's no denying lacks of IE's features

crazybrowser, which is based around and uses IE, has tabbed browsing and some other features to go with it, and therefore might be more to your liking, then.
RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by Anubis on 12-30-2004 at 03:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by megamuff

crazybrowser, which is based around and uses IE, has tabbed browsing and some other features to go with it, and therefore might be more to your liking, then.

Nah thanks, I'm with Firefox. :p
But my point is that cookie said isn't true, because even MS don't put any extra features into their browser...and even though it can be moded it's not got the same features of other browsers by far...
RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by John Anderton on 12-30-2004 at 03:39 PM

oh thats even better anubis :)

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by CookieRevised on 12-30-2004 at 03:39 PM

quote:
does anyone else here happen to know that firefox does not support something so simple as setting the background from within the body tag?!
Firefox (as well as all the others) do support background coloring in the body tag... That's simple basic HTML....
read http://www.w3.org/

quote:
But my point is that cookie said isn't true, because even MS don't put any extra features into their browser...and even though it can be moded it's not got the same features of other browsers by far...
don't twist it around. What I mean is that it is useless to compare all the special features because almost every other browser has exactly the same features (ok, except MSIE then :rolleyes:). And that is why browser-wars starts...

If you wanna list something "special", make sure you have tested it PERSONALY in other browsers and are 100% sure another browser doesn't have some kind of similar feature, otherwise it is useless to list them and only shows that you didn't tested it properly or don't know what you're talking about...

And yes, you can have just the same virusses/trojans/whatever in Firefox as in MSIE as in every other thing. It is up to the user to configure/secure/use your browser properly....

sorry to sound so harsh, but these kind of threads always evolve in the same way and always end up the same...

eg:
X: I like browser x because it has function b
Y: browser y has just the same feature and also feature z
X: yes, but browser x has also feature c
Z: I use browser d
X: hahaha, that's for noobs
blahblahblahblah
X: you suck
Y: you too
Z: stfu
RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by user27089 on 12-30-2004 at 03:52 PM

Mozilla Firefox, I just love it, and the themes that you can download are absolutely amazing, if I had to rate it, I'd give it 20 out of 5

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by FrozernFire on 12-30-2004 at 04:07 PM

400% :O
* FrozernFire agrees with traxor
you may say that IE can be moded, but you will have to agree that the basic firefox has more features than the basic IE

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by Caboose on 12-30-2004 at 06:28 PM

Anyway... o.O

Browser: Firefox
License: Free :)
Why I use it (specal features): Tabbed browsing, extensions, themes

I personally had NO problems with Internet Explorer when I was using it oh so many moons ago. I was just curious about Firefox, so I installed it, and... yeah. But there's nothing wrong with Internet Explorer aside from needing a few features... o.O

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by Purity on 12-30-2004 at 06:32 PM

I use Maxthon formly known as MyIE2.

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by Mattwood9 on 12-30-2004 at 06:44 PM

License: Free
Why I use it (specal features): Tabbed browsing, extensions, themes, W3C =)

IE sux because he don't respect W3C =)

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by Striker on 12-30-2004 at 06:46 PM

License: Free
Why I use it (specal features):
Extensions:
Tweaking (for speed)
Image Zoom
Ad blocking (i dont see any ads anymore :) )
Banning cookies from certain sites
BugMeNot (auto inputs username and password into those hassle places you have to sign up for free to view content)

Those are some of my extensions i find very handy.. Theres also a few others i use, such as "Launchy", where i can right click a movie link, and it auto download and play in windows media player (so i can stream)

Only thing i use IE for is windows update, cause once you have a bunch of extensions installed on firefox, theres no point in going back. I use to run IE with a tone of other programs installed. Now its all in one with firefox

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by mad_onion on 12-30-2004 at 07:36 PM

i completly agree with megamuff, IE is good.
obviously (if you know me then it is obvious. if you dont look at the avatar you will get the jist of my opinion) I use IE because I think it is the best browser because it is simple to use and I find it loads faster than firefox. when I starting using firefox it took me quite a while to even work out how to use tabbed browsing i couldn't actually get tabs to appear. now in my opinion that is not easy to use.

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by L. Coyote on 12-30-2004 at 07:42 PM

Firefox all the way :P

I used IE all my computer-life (almost 6 years) and can only say it really is a pain in the butt.

I used antivirus, antispyware and other security tools along with IE and always found stuff that went through the browser.

When I tried out Firefox (in its 0.9 version) I was surprised to find that it had many security features. It will tell me if a site wants to install software, open a pop-up, etc. I haven't had any security problems since then.

And the possibility to add extensions is great, now I can have a color picker, calendar, and many other things in the browser. Useful indeed.

The only downside is that Firefox and Thunderbird are awfully slow and tend to freeze, but I can live with it.

I still sometimes use IE for testing my site's design (to see how most people will see it), but the lastest design I made is 100% Firefox compatible. Dotted borders and all, you just have to know how to use HTML and CSS. ;)

This is what happens when MS sleeps in their glory. They had made another bad move (IMO) a year ago or more (I'm not exactly an up-to-date person :$) about not letting people download IE6 and above.

</nonsense>

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by saralk on 12-30-2004 at 07:46 PM

Name: Opera
Liscence: $39 (for all your home PCs)
Special Features: Tabbed Browsing, pop-up blocker, skins, intergrated e-mail (if you like gmail's way of sorting mail, Opera M2 is just the same, but came first), download manager, very customisable.

P.S. If you use Opera for a week or two, then you will love it, all it's little extras that make browsing really easy. But im sure that the same applies for Firefox, IE is just well, IE.

pps. another thing i like about opera is that is has way more features than firefox does on its own. And isnt as much of a resource hog.

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by sock on 12-31-2004 at 10:05 PM

I use IE because A. my computer sucks and IE loads up the fastest (and it's still too slow!:cry:), and B. most of the Web is only made to look right on IE, which practically makes IE's rendering the Web's standard. I've never seen any rendering problems in IE such as the ones Firefox users report here sometimes.

I would definitely try out Firefox again when I get a better PC, though. I'm not crazy about IE at all. :P

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by *Saint* on 01-01-2005 at 01:24 AM

Name: Netscape
Special Features: it has a pop up blocker and can have a couple websitre in 1 window
my computer is slow switching windows so i like just to change the tab in 1 window

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by Lord Battleguard on 01-01-2005 at 01:42 AM

I use Opera, because:

- it is a Web browser
- it is an E-mail client
- it is an FTP client
- it is an IRC client
- works like a download manager
- it is less vulnerable (no script execution and no picture downloading in e-mails)
- I don't need 5-6 windows, because Opera has its windows inside the program
- a built-in pop-up blocker
- and ---well, not so important--- I can disguise it

And I like IE, too, because some *special* scripts only work with IE (MSAgent for example)

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by Fredzz on 01-11-2005 at 09:08 PM

Firefox Firefox Firefox Firefox Firefox Firefox  :clap:

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by _Humphreys on 01-12-2005 at 08:24 AM

1) Firefox
2) www.getfirefox.com
3) Free
4) Probs the best for sercurity and it's the fastest browser IMO.

:)

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by Mak on 01-12-2005 at 08:54 AM

Name: Internet Explorer
Special Features: i dunno, i just like it....

Well thats my favorite:|

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by qune on 01-12-2005 at 01:20 PM

1) Internet Explorer...
2) Microsoft.com...
3) Freeware...
4) IE runs excellent, has the smoothest (eventhough it's not customizable) interface of all browsers, despite the security holes - firefox has them as well, and finally: firefox can never take IE's place as the worlds most popular web browser...

RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by John Anderton on 01-12-2005 at 02:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by qune
IE runs excellent, has the smoothest (eventhough it's not customizable) interface of all browsers
U must have a high end pc. I have a 128 mb ram, 1000 mhz, P-3 pc and ie slows it down but firefox doesn't.
quote:
Originally posted by qune
firefox can never take IE's place as the worlds most popular web browser...
I think its only in that plave cause ppl get it with their copies of windoze and if mickeysoft stops that u'll see that ppl would, imo, choose firefox. Most ppl dont know about firefox cause they aren't into tech forums like us. And they dont have contacts like us. If they did i feel that ppl would choose firefox. I would :D
RE: RE: Which is the internet browser that you prefer ?? by Guido on 01-12-2005 at 08:17 PM

I use Avant Browser, but also have firefox and opera, mainly for testing purposes.

URL: avantbrowser.com
LICENSE: freeware
WHAT I LIKE: everything, only some versions are a bit unstable, it's fast, visually nice, extremely customizable and has lots of features built-in (tabs, popup blocker, page zoom, search). The main reason for me not using firefox, though, is that Avant renders through IE, and therefore I don't get any crappy rendering problems (not Firefox's fault in most cases, but it's disturbing).

From a web developer point of view, though, I hate IE :gfdrin:

quote:
ugh.. you firefox users ought to stop posting your horrible lies about firefox and IE. getting infected by ANYTHING while using internet explorer, is the fault of the user for being so careless, not the fault of the browser. even so, you have no proof that firefox is MORE secure than IE. if in doubt, install basic protection like spywareblaster, avg, and a firewall.
Indeed.

quote:
the main reason i use IE, is because it is the ONLY browser that supports code that the majority of the internet use. example, does anyone else here happen to know that firefox does not support something so simple as setting the background from within the body tag?!
Wtf... Firefox supports that! It has been the standard to set background colors for years before CSS even existed ^o).

quote:
Originally posted by -dt-
quote:
Originally posted by chris100
IE is built into the kernal so part of it starts when the system boots up  so when you run it , it opens really fast because it kinda was already running
Yep, so? It still starts faster, it doesn't matter if it's "fear" or not.