Shoutbox

Two Computers... One phone line... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Two Computers... One phone line... (/showthread.php?tid=36288)

Two Computers... One phone line... by Pr0xY on 01-01-2005 at 09:53 PM

A friend from school told me that he was able to get both of his computers to connect to the internet with only one phone line... Does anyone know how this is possible? If so, could you explain it so I can try it at my house. 

RE: Two Computers... One phone line... by MC.POP on 01-01-2005 at 10:15 PM

i think u need a filter or i dont know wt they really call it but it is a small   plastic that u plug it in the phone line and comes out of it 2 more plugs so its like a T.

Thnx Ddunk didnt know that.

RE: Two Computers... One phone line... by ddunk on 01-01-2005 at 10:18 PM

Note that you can't have 2 simultaneous internet connections even with the T switch. It's still only one phone line.

RE: Two Computers... One phone line... by Plik on 01-01-2005 at 10:18 PM

You could use a network.
Have one computer connected to the internet and then set it up to share the internet with other networked computers.
Then just connect the other one to the network

RE: Two Computers... One phone line... by Sunshine on 01-01-2005 at 10:19 PM

To be able to get both computers connected you need to set up a network. That can be done with either two networkcards (each comp needs one) wich you crosswire (crossover cable) or with a router.

RE: Two Computers... One phone line... by Purity on 01-01-2005 at 11:00 PM

dot u need a router? haha thats wat i use?

RE: Two Computers... One phone line... by saralk on 01-01-2005 at 11:20 PM

ok, this is the simplest way to do it...

get a crossover cable (its important that it is crossover, and not a patch cable). For clarity its a crossover ethernet (rj45, cat5)

connect the two pcs together with the cable

on the pc with the internet connection, double click on the icon of two pcs, click properties > advance > allow other computers...

then it should work.

RE: Two Computers... One phone line... by Dan0208 on 01-02-2005 at 12:13 AM

Another easy way to set this up, allow it involves one computer having to be on for the other to access the internet, is to set up Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). this allows the 2nd computer to gain access through the 1st. I suggest however not trying this on windows 98 unless you really have it as it has known issues. anything above should be fine though.

RE: Two Computers... One phone line... by Stigmata on 01-02-2005 at 12:22 AM

we got a laptop for christmas so we got

belkin wireless desktop network card
belkin wireless laptop network card
belkin adsl router

basicly all you need. very easy to set up

you can also use a belkin network wizard, and it wil tell you what u need :D

http://web.belkin.com/config/network2/index0.asp?catid=6

RE: Two Computers... One phone line... by GiantSpider on 01-02-2005 at 12:37 AM

I use a Buffalo Air Station WMR-G54. Wireless. Only problem is the possibility of people using your Network.

RE: Two Computers... One phone line... by Pr0xY on 01-02-2005 at 01:00 AM

alright, well I thought there would be a way by just having both computers hooked up to phone lines in the house.  I guess not... bummer... now I cant spy on what my parents are doing on my other computer....

RE: Two Computers... One phone line... by Pipish on 01-02-2005 at 02:19 AM

Well i have exactly the same problem with my dad being on the internet and me not being able to at the same time we are on 56k does that matter i will talk to him about it and se what we can do

RE: Two Computers... One phone line... by Pr0xY on 01-04-2005 at 06:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Pipish
Well i have exactly the same problem with my dad being on the internet and me not being able to at the same time we are on 56k does that matter i will talk to him about it and se what we can do
Yeah ask him, that would be cool if there is a way with just the phone lines.  The computer my parents use has a 56k modem, and my laptop says its a 56k dial up card, but it connects to the internet at 115.2 kbps(dont ask, I dont know that works).

RE: Two Computers... One phone line... by Jhrono on 01-04-2005 at 07:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by GiantSpider

I use a Buffalo Air Station WMR-G54. Wireless. Only problem is the possibility of people using your Network.

if u use WEP encripton no...i've got Linksys WAG54G router, WUSB54G Network adapter and (to the laptop) Blekin Pci 54 G card(dont know the model)...anyway that goes a bit expensive...the router was 170 £ + 75 for the desktop adpter + 50 laptop adapter = 295 € ...(all that wireless)
RE: Two Computers... One phone line... by Chris.1 on 01-05-2005 at 10:33 PM

You could always put network cards in both machines (if not already fitted) and put in a cross-over ethernet cable between then. Then set one of the computers to share it's internet connection (enabling dial-on-demand) with other computers on the network. This way, you can both use the internet - but the machine sharing the net always has to be on.