Shoutbox

File Organizer v2 (Preview) - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: File Organizer v2 (Preview) (/showthread.php?tid=36313)

File Organizer v2 (Preview) by matty on 01-02-2005 at 05:10 AM

Hey everyone I had alot of praise for my first version and alot of suggestions and improvements *cough* CookieRevised *cough*.

So I decided that I would code another and make it alot more user friendly.

Here are four screenshots of what is to come from the program.

[Image: main_preferences.gif]

This is the Main Preferences Window. There will be another addition soon allowing you to change the path of the My Received Files folder for MSN Messenger without having it open.

[Image: add.gif]

Screen shown when adding new Types of Extensions

[Image: edit.gif]

Screen shown when editing previous File Types, you can add/remove extensions or change the path they are moved to.

[Image: error.gif]

Screen that is shown when a File Cannot be moved if it is in use by another App.

There will not be a download for a few more weeks after testing and it is complete.

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by Dane on 01-02-2005 at 05:13 AM

:D, This is sure to be the Plugin of the Year.  I can tell you right now that its so needed by me and several other users, My Recieved Files is full of unorganized things, in this Plugin Matty brings useful features together to help all the users of the community. </promo>

Cant wait Matty, GOOD WORK :D!

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by marissa on 01-02-2005 at 05:31 AM

:banana: aw, seing the previews on here too make me want this plugin more :(

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by Birdo on 01-02-2005 at 05:34 AM

i like th idea of this :D looks great.. finally my many years of collecting pictures and stuff through msn can all be sorta without me havn to work my ass off :P cant wait for its release :D;)

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by matty on 01-02-2005 at 05:43 AM

After a conversation with Blade on MSN he asked about a log file.

So I may do my logfile with registered extension or just simply an HTML based logfile.

This is the last thing on my list but it is on the To Do List.

Would people prefer HTML Based or Registered Extension/Program based?

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by Birdo on 01-02-2005 at 05:54 AM

i think  would prefer a registered extension/program log file would be better, something like a .txt   just some simple output, like  Original location, then the the file was moved to.. :) then mayb a log for non movable files

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by Pipish on 01-02-2005 at 05:55 AM

Yes well done matty i will defenantly use this

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by John on 01-02-2005 at 07:21 AM

It looks awesome. :) I can't wait till it's finished, but take your time and make it good, which I'm sure it will be. ;) :P

And I'd say go with a .txt log, it's nice and simple. :)

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by TGG on 01-02-2005 at 10:52 AM

Looks great Matty, i hope you finish it soon, it looks really useful.
I'm going to need it with all the stuff i've recieved.

good luck with it :D

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by riley on 01-02-2005 at 12:06 PM

will it automatically be sorted? so without having to typre a command? so the plugin will start sorting when for example a download is finished? i mean that would be great.. :D so the plug-in would be triggerd when a download is finished... (a)

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by Mike on 01-02-2005 at 12:25 PM

A question:
Is the plugin able to move the files depending on the contact's email address?

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by CookieRevised on 01-02-2005 at 01:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riley
will it automatically be sorted? so without having to typre a command? so the plugin will start sorting when for example a download is finished? i mean that would be great.. :D so the plug-in would be triggerd when a download is finished... (a)
Although it may seem as a great thing to do, it can actually be very annoying.

When it will be triggered (and thus the file being moved) as soon as the download is finished, the assigned virusscanner may not work ("Tools > Options > Messages > File Transfer") and also the "Open" link will not work anymore.

Thus it certainly must not be a default thing by design, but rather an option so you can choose between automatically and manually (with the use of a command).
RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by Dempsey on 01-02-2005 at 07:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mike2
A question:
That is exactly what I am currently working on.

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by aNILEator on 01-02-2005 at 11:15 PM

hey, have you thought of working for compatability with File Transfer Plus, apparantly there are problems :S

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by CookieRevised on 01-03-2005 at 03:54 AM

In fact it would be great if Matty, Dempsey and RicarDog would work together, or fight out who makes it all, or just use the idea of the others... because their plugins are very related/compliant and should actually be made into one :D

File Transfer Plus!: - "Ability to set a default save folder (media files can have a different default save folder), also a separate folder can be made for each contact"
So it Misses the option that Matty is doing

Dempsey's plugin: will miss the option that Matty is doing

Matty's plugin: will miss the option that Dempsey is doing

So deside that it is ok for all of you to work out each your own plugin but with all the same ideas. In that way the user can decide which UI he will use. And neither of you will loose out on a feature (because "the other one is making it") and it wont conflict with the other plugin because the user has the choice between the two, and is not forced to use both to have both features, which can/will conflict.

All this is nice to have in a separate plugin (for those who don't need the file transfer), but for those who want the whole deal, those same options should also be build in into File Transfer Plugin...

just my two cents...

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by dotNorma on 01-03-2005 at 04:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by riley
Although it may seem as a great thing to do, it can actually be very annoying.

When it will be triggered (and thus the file being moved) as soon as the download is finished, the assigned virusscanner may not work ("Tools > Options > Messages > File Transfer") and also the "Open" link will not work anymore.

Thus it certainly must not be a default thing by design, but rather an option so you can choose between automatically and manually (with the use of a command).

Or perhaps recheck at a user set time interval?
RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by matty on 01-03-2005 at 07:06 AM

I did plan on having intervals of reorganizing but i removed it but now I will re add it :)

The other thing is I have no problem working with either, infact Dempsey and I are already considering it I just have one problem with Ricardog's plugin and that is that it needs the Windows Messenger API, but there are ways around things and if he is willing to work together then its quite simple, the only thing is, is that he can do what we are doing already without any of us so I don't see why we are really needed :P

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by giken on 01-03-2005 at 08:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

File Transfer Plus! - "...also a separate folder can be made for each contact"

If I'm right this feature doesn't use the plugin... a lot of my contacts haven't it so I hope someone can made a "separate folder by useremail plugin" with no needs to have it for the sender
RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by matty on 01-07-2005 at 02:00 AM

Update:
These are the updates I have made to the GUI

[Image: main_preferences_update1.gif]

[Image: main_preferences_update2.gif]

Code Improvements:
      --> Before moving files each path or drive is checked for existence
      --> Before moving files each new path is checked for existing files, if they already exist then your file will recieve the name along the line of (5) New Text Document.txt
      --> Temp Organizational Log included - Possibly will be changed for XML
            Temp Log Preview

More Updates:
      --> Ability to change language on the fly

Final Update For The Day:
      --> Ability to change My Received Files folder is complete
      --> Options Page completly Coded
      --> Configuration window is complete
      --> French(96%) and English(100%) language files are complete

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by Phrive on 01-07-2005 at 05:54 PM

Looks nice i couldnt understand the first one, i spose if i spent more time i could have but this looks easier and very nice :)

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by aNILEator on 01-08-2005 at 12:23 AM

Hey will you have an 'automatic suggestion' thing?

eg. someone sends me a .mpg in the settings can you make it so you can automatically select something like this

'video files (list extensions)' move to [select folder eg C:\videos]
'image files (list extensions)' move to [select folder eg C:\images]

do you know what i mean?

basically have lots of extensions pre-listed in sets

RE: RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by Fredzz on 01-09-2005 at 02:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
quote:
Originally posted by Mike2
A question:
That is exactly what I am currently working on.

thank you thank you. glad to see my  question without even ask it.. that will be one of the best features i'll love about it! That is soo important. I cant stress enough when i open "My recieved files and ask: from who was this.. and this? wtf is this? Thank you so much. For shure ill use your plugin and promote it to my known people!

Keep up the good work man! (Y)
RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by matty on 01-09-2005 at 07:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly

eg. someone sends me a .mpg in the settings can you make it so you can automatically select something like this

'video files (list extensions)' move to [select folder eg C:\videos]
'image files (list extensions)' move to [select folder eg C:\images]

do you know what i mean?

basically have lots of extensions pre-listed in sets

This isn't the best idea as I would have to create a ton of directories... the way it is now the first time you load the plugin it will load the preferences, then from there you can add in all the ones you want.

I would like to add that i have yet added the wildcard ability but I do plan on doing it. Wildcard meaing .mp* instead of mp3 or whatever
RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by Fredzz on 01-09-2005 at 05:28 PM

any idea when you finish the plugin or when it will be available to users?

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by matty on 01-10-2005 at 08:06 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Fredzz
any idea when you finish the plugin or when it will be available to users?

I am still working on it everyday. I work nights so I am awake for a few hours then goto work then come home in the morning and stay up for a few and go back to work. On thursdays and fridays I program on it all day long. I am hoping in the next few weeks to have the english version out and available. Other languages will be available. The only thing I am having a hard time with finding a way around is unicode characters.... they don't display properly on default VB controls so... but I will continue trying to figure a way out.
RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by Fredzz on 02-01-2005 at 05:41 AM

just came by to check.. icouldnt find This thread on the first pages on the plugins section and i woundered what happened.. i see there is no news for this plugin.. well i'll keep waiting.
Keep up the good work! and good luck!

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by aNILEator on 02-01-2005 at 11:20 PM

well make it look nice.

Talking of nice looking plugins anyone use MSN Mailer?

that is one sweet GUI :D

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by Fredzz on 03-07-2005 at 10:30 PM

how's it goin? did you quit? 8-) was this cool plugin forgotten? :|

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by aNILEator on 03-07-2005 at 11:15 PM

Good question fredzz :S this was looking promising

RE: RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by Joel4119 on 03-08-2005 at 12:48 AM

Good job, Matty. I've been waiting for a plugin like this for a very long time now. Hope to see it released soon! :)

quote:
Originally posted by MattyWould people prefer HTML Based or Registered Extension/Program based?

Definitely Registered Extension/Program based. Much easier to look through.
RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by Ash_ on 03-08-2005 at 06:41 AM

Definately one of my Top Picks, very good stuff Matty!

hope all goes well!

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by matty on 03-08-2005 at 10:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ash_
Definately one of my Top Picks, very good stuff Matty!

hope all goes well!
Sorry there has been no news people. I found some ways to actually improve the code a lot to make it a lot faster.

I have sent people screenshots of what it looks like now and have had good reviews so I wont keep you guys in the dark much longer.

[Image: My_Screenshot8.png]

[Image: My_Screenshot9.png]

[Image: My_Screenshot10.png]

[Image: My_Screenshot11.png]
RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by Joel4119 on 03-08-2005 at 11:51 PM

Nice, the dialogs are clean and easy to understand. :D

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by matty on 03-09-2005 at 02:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Joel4119
Nice, the dialogs are clean and easy to understand. :D

Thanks just wanted everyone to know that I have been working like a mad man on this. I just improved the GUI of the options abit (custom check boxes). VB Controls and Custom XP skins don't work good.

Old:
[Image: My_Screenshot8.png]

New:
[Image: My_Screenshot8_new.png]

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by matty on 03-09-2005 at 08:32 AM

Ok I know I really shouldn't double post but I need to bring this up to the top.

I just worked over 10hours on this thing and it is finally finished. BUT it is not available for download yet. There are a few bugs I have to fix and code the Multi-Language interface, Fix the log file (it is going to be an HTML log file) and do an installer.

quote:
Originally posted by Fukafly

There wont be an automatic suggestion based on extension, but what there is, is default extension listings. All you have to do is select your path. Here is a screenshot. (This was added at the last minute)
[Image: My_Screenshot8_new_2.png]

I will be having a few people do translations for me. I hope I can have this done sometime Saturday.

Matty
RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by Kowell on 03-10-2005 at 04:12 PM

Can't wait for it

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by L. Coyote on 03-10-2005 at 04:37 PM

I didn't post in here before? :S

Anyway, Matty, this looks like a great project and I'll sure use it! (Y)

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by TGG on 03-10-2005 at 06:59 PM

Sounds great Matty, i hope it comes out soon :D

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by matty on 03-10-2005 at 07:25 PM

I have actually sent it to Dempsey to test for me but since I am using the MSN Messenger Beta (actually a tester) I am not sure if the constant crashing is a result of me hooking the conversation or if it is just a problem with the beta itself. There are a few more things I need to do before I release it but I am hoping at the earliest Saturday I will send it to people for testing and translating (this will only be for a few days).

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by Fredzz on 03-31-2005 at 04:54 AM

Thank you thank you thank you ! i had to go to my favourite threads, to see if this was already as before.. lost in the dark.. but guess not! Its aliiiiiiive! ive been all the time checking this thread and now yes, some news! thank you Matty ! :D

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by (CyBeRDuDe) on 03-31-2005 at 07:33 AM

quote:
Thank you thank you thank you ! i had to go to my favourite threads, to see if this was already as before.. lost in the dark.. but guess not! Its aliiiiiiive! ive been all the time checking this thread and now yes, some news! thank you Matty ! :D
He... LOL!!!... The last post Matty posted is 3 weeks ago.. :S...
Besides that:
When is this coming Matty? Any news?... Fixed the bugs?... Still working on it? Expected release time?... Or have you stopped the progress because of MSN Messenger's Extension Blocker?...

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by Pyroteq on 03-31-2005 at 08:17 AM

Ill definatly use this. Good work mate.

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by Fredzz on 03-31-2005 at 02:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by (CyBeRDuDe)
quote:
He... LOL!!!... The last post Matty posted is 3 weeks ago.. :S...
Besides that:
When is this coming Matty? Any news?... Fixed the bugs?... Still working on it? Expected release time?... Or have you stopped the progress because of MSN Messenger's Extension Blocker?...

i didnt notice that.. :S .. here we go again! i waaaaaaant thiiiiis! *cries*

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by matty on 04-08-2005 at 02:51 AM

I have the HEX values that prevent the file transfers of specific file types, but i am not sure if I want to patch the memory of it or not. I have had a rough week with my grandfather passing last night so yeah.

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by Joel4119 on 04-08-2005 at 04:55 AM

Nice work, Matty. I hate having to wait for great plugins like this, but patience is a virtue.

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by Hank on 04-16-2005 at 01:13 PM

Nice Plugin matty :)

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by Fredzz on 06-11-2005 at 01:54 PM

will this be released this year?

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by Dempsey on 06-11-2005 at 03:22 PM

quote:
Mattys stopped working on it AFAIK, he sent me the source but I also havent had time to work on it.
RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by matty on 06-11-2005 at 05:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dempsey
quote:
Mattys stopped working on it AFAIK, he sent me the source but I also havent had time to work on it.
Dempsey is right, I decided that it would be senseless to have to different plugins that interact with received files. I have Dempsey the source code so that he can include it in WhoSentIt.

I haven't really been programming lately because of the hours I work its really tough. I am trying to finish my plugin installer but like I said earlier I don't have a lot of time on my hands.

Sorry to all I disappointed but if I get some free time I will release what I had.
RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by XM4ST3RX on 06-11-2005 at 06:48 PM

Hi,

Nice... i agree with CookieRevised about the implement all into one plugin idea.... i prefer Dempsey's plugin singally though... its so much neater and tidier and ALOT easier to find files in My Received Files because you just navigate to the users email who sent you the file.

Good work guys(Y)

Kind Regards,
XM4ST3RX

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by Jhrono on 06-11-2005 at 09:03 PM

I cant see the pics in ur post matty :(

RE: File Organizer v2 (Preview) by matty on 06-11-2005 at 09:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Johny
I cant see the pics in ur post matty :(
Dane's internal Messeger Plus! Zone server was taken down and all the images were stored on that.