Shoutbox

Malware being advertised at this forum - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Malware being advertised at this forum (/showthread.php?tid=36364)

Malware being advertised at this forum by elreteipos on 01-03-2005 at 09:52 AM

http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/messenger_plus_2.htm#crapware describes that some malware is being advertised here. Examples:

[Image: 3.jpg]
A Gator ad, from PrecisionTime, if you download it it secretly installs GAIN on your computer.

[Image: 4.jpg]
Also infected with GAIN, this is a DashBar ad.

[Image: advert.jpg]
A SmileyCentral advertisement, also known as FunWebProducts or FunWeb. It installs a searchbar called MySearch into your browser and displays ads.

The point is, I don't think it's good that there is malware advertised here, this will give this forum a bad reputation.

RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by Anubis on 01-03-2005 at 10:18 AM

It's actually on the website, not the forum...and you'll see ads all over the internet like that. I doubt anyone will care, most people just ignore ads.

RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by DarkAdder on 01-03-2005 at 11:12 AM

It looks like some attention seeking troublemaker has way too much time on his or her hands.
Their is no new News here at all. The adware is optional and it is made very clear that you don't need to install it.

The developer deserves some compensation for his hard work and continued effort with this application. Try and do something constructive and develop your own without the adware if you can.

Surely more constructive use can be made of these forums.

RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by user27089 on 01-03-2005 at 11:39 AM

No, I think not, Patchou is a very well-known man, and he works his ass off daily to create this third-party add-on, and he needs money, so therefore, puts ad's on his site, he's just trying to earn a living, you can't do that by distributing and amazing extension for free can you, this is also a reason for the optional sponsor program. He could choose to do other stuff to consume his time, but no, he does it to help us, does that sound like a greedy man to you, a guy that has too much time on his hands.

RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by Anubis on 01-03-2005 at 11:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by DarkAdder
The adware is optional and it is made very clear that you don't need to install it.
This has nothing to do with the sponsor program :mipdodgy:...it's the stuff he's advertising with unoptional "sponsor" programs
RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by user27089 on 01-03-2005 at 12:43 PM

That webpage is rubbish and is full of untrue information, its just completely stupid... :dodgy: why make sites like this, its a random banner script obviously, of course it would change to messenger plus! every now and then :dodgy:...

Maybe if you would like to stop thinking out of the box and read:
http://www.msgplus.net/getthefacts.php - its a page for people like you...
and
http://mpsupport.toastednet.org - I made a site on how to uninstall it, and its completely easy...

RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by TheBlasphemer on 01-03-2005 at 12:50 PM

You and the writer of that page are just pathetic...
Search google for "smiley" and you will get this:

quote:
Sponsored Links
Smiley
The Greatest Icons & Smileys for
Emails, IMs & More - Download Now!
www.smileycentral.com

Free Smiley Cursors
Personalize your desktop cursor.
100% Free download!
http://www.cursorzone.com

smiley
10,000 Free New Smileys!
Download Yours Now. (aff)
SmileyCentral.Good-Offers.com

Free Smileys Are Here
Download Over 10,000 Smileys
Easy to Use and Completely Free
www.SmileyOutlet.com

10,000+ free smiles
Download 10.000+ free smiles for
use with email and IM programs. aff
smiley.vg-network.com/

Free Emoticons Download
Free Emoticons Easy Download
10,000 Great Emoticons. Email & IM
Free-Emoticons.org

Let's go boycott google now, for advertising evil stuff....
freaking idiots....
RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by Kryptonate on 01-03-2005 at 01:12 PM

your title is wrong, you're talking about the website msgplus.net and not this forum. There are thousands of websites with advertising, it's no big deal :). I just checked, and the only advertisments I can find at that spot are those from Messenger Plus! itself.

RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by CookieRevised on 01-03-2005 at 09:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Kryptonate
I just checked, and the only advertisments I can find at that spot are those from Messenger Plus! itself.
Though, there were advertisements from other companies in the past in that spot...

But Sandi (I know you monitor these forums), you make a big mistake. Or rather you leave out some valid information just to make your point:
quote:
(...) Also, when I started receiving spyware complaints about my third-party-provided web page search facility, I also dumped that and created a search facility hosted locally, and also increased the prominence of an MVP created search site that is spyware free.  Why do I tell you this? Because there ARE always alternatives if we find spyware/malware/crapware is being advertised (involuntarily or otherwise) on our web sites.
The big difference between those ads on your old site and these ads on the msgplus site is that you don't had to make a revenue. Those ads generate money for Patchou/Messenger Plus! and you didn't needed those ads on your old site. So stop saying "Because there ARE always alternatives" just like that without telling the whole story, just to make your point...

Instead, do something constructive for a change and tell the world what those "alternatives" are that will generate as much money as those previous ads... Telling people that alternatives exist is easy enough, actually giving a working alternative is something I'm still waiting for to happen (not only from you, but also from the other anti-Plus! people)
RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by Kryptonate on 01-03-2005 at 09:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Though, there were advertisements from other companies in the past in that spot...
in the past yes, but I thought he was talking about the present
RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by Patchou on 01-03-2005 at 09:59 PM

Smiley Central is not advertised on msgplus.net anymore because of incompatibility problems with Plus!. As for the other stuff, its standard advertisemenet and mst sites (including the famous such as Google) advertise for the same thing, it's not like I had a choice (if I switch to Google ads, wich I may soon, I doubt it will be anything different).

RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by TheBlasphemer on 01-03-2005 at 10:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
Smiley Central is not advertised on msgplus.net anymore because of incompatibility problems with Plus!. As for the other stuff, its standard advertisemenet and mst sites (including the famous such as Google) advertise for the same thing, it's not like I had a choice (if I switch to Google ads, wich I may soon, I doubt it will be anything different).

Patchou, we know that the advertisement stuff is pretty standard, you just sign up with an advertisement company that picks the ads for you.
But that's not the point, these people just try to find reasons to bring you down, and if this is the only thing they can come up with, I think they're pretty pathetic....
RE: RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by Sam Spade on 01-06-2005 at 12:36 PM

quote:
Smiley Central is not advertised on msgplus.net anymore because of incompatibility problems with Plus!.
Excuse me, but Smiley Central is still being advertised on http://www.msgplus.net/global.php?lang=de as of 30 seconds ago.  I checked the first half a dozen other language versions and saw the same thing for all except for the Afrikans site.  I'm betting if I checked all the other non-English language versions I would see it there as well.
quote:
Originally posted by TheBlasphemer
Patchou, we know that the advertisement stuff is pretty standard, you just sign up with an advertisement company that picks the ads for you.
If Patchou can block Smiley Central because it conflicts with Messenger Plus! (though that isn't what I see on the non-English sites) and block adult ads because he didn't want them, then he can also block Gator because its bad for his users, and his site's reputation.

RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by Patchou on 01-06-2005 at 03:06 PM

Thank you for letting me know about the translated page Sam Spade, I forgot to change the code for it. I was going to ask you why you were continuing to post on this forum but apparently, you can be useful.

RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by Sam Spade on 01-06-2005 at 04:36 PM

quote:
Thank you for letting me know about the translated page Sam Spade, I forgot to change the code for it. I was going to ask you why you were continuing to post on this forum but apparently, you can be useful.
What a lovely, backhanded, compliment.

I hope that you see that you need to hear an alternative viewpoint on your forums, Patchou, not just a cheer squad.  Let's face it, if I hadn't said something your 'forgotten code' would have taken far longer to be noticed and fixed, and may not have been noticed at all.

I do not think it is fair to sit quietly while others giggle behind their hands and say 'look what Patchou said, he can't even keep the facts straight about his own forum'.  But, after reading your response, I wonder why I bothered to do the 'right' thing and post the information, giving you the chance to fix things, instead of sitting quiet.
RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by Sunshine on 01-06-2005 at 04:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Sam Spade
[I do not think it is fair to sit quietly while others giggle behind their hands and say 'look what Patchou said, he can't even keep the facts straight about his own forum'.  But, after reading your response, I wonder why I bothered to do the 'right' thing and post the information, giving you the chance to fix things, instead of sitting quiet.
Who says others are giggling behind their hands? And he did thank you for telling, what more can you ask for?

RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by L. Coyote on 01-06-2005 at 06:37 PM

quote:
What a lovely, backhanded, compliment.
What did you expect?

Everything you write is way more backhanded than that, and we all know it.

:dodgy:
RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by Patchou on 01-06-2005 at 06:45 PM

Sam Spade, let's make something very clear: I didn't remove the ads because of this thread, I removed them because of Smiley Central being incompatible with Plus! at some levels. What was said at the beginning of this thread still stands: most sites use the same sources for advertisement and they all advertise for the same stuff: emoticons, screensavers, etc... if you're not happy about it, I suggest you stop using the internet.

RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by wj on 01-06-2005 at 09:11 PM

quote:
I suggest you stop using the internet.

I'll second that motion.
RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by megamuff on 01-06-2005 at 11:03 PM

there is ads on the plus web site? and here? huh.. i didnt know that. :P i never see ads anywhere thanks to my collection of diverse ad blocking software..

RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by L. Coyote on 01-06-2005 at 11:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by megamuff
and here?
No, not on the forums. Just on www.msgplus.net and they aren't intrusive.

People just bug about it, cuz it's their favorite sport. 8-)
RE: RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by elreteipos on 01-07-2005 at 08:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by megamuff
there is ads on the plus web site? and here? huh.. i didnt know that. :P i never see ads anywhere thanks to my collection of diverse ad blocking software..

I use Adblock for Mozilla Firefox. If you see an ad, you right-click on it and click Adblock Image. You can use asterisks so that content from a whole server is blocked. Example: http://ad.doubleclick.net/*. You can download Adblock from http://adblock.mozdev.org.
RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by Pr0xY on 01-07-2005 at 01:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by elreteipos
I use Adblock for Mozilla Firefox. If you see an ad, you right-click on it and click Adblock Image. You can use asterisks so that content from a whole server is blocked. Example: http://ad.doubleclick.net/*. You can download Adblock from http://adblock.mozdev.org.
Christ.... why don't you just use your adblocker and stop complaining then.....

RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by TheBlasphemer on 01-07-2005 at 06:42 PM

*sigh*, I so much feel like writing to the EU with a request to make an internet-license for people like this...

RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by wj on 01-07-2005 at 07:13 PM

All I can say is the Ad's are not intrusive, They dont cause you any harm, and you might as well click them if you arent installing the sponsor program to support patchou!

I know I click!

RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by user27089 on 01-07-2005 at 07:36 PM

You two, have you ever installed the sponsor, do you ever click these ad's? I doubt it, you can't really accidentally click them, and if you don't want to then you want, if you want to support patchou then you will, you don't have to install any adware or anything its optional, if you've noticed, most of the stuff that Patchou does usually comes down to YOU! No-one else, so stop complaining, ad's are everywhere, okay, i bet you that the next 2 public software sites you go on will have ads on them? You don't go complaining to every site that you go to do you? I think not, or do you go around constantly, if you're using ad-blocker, then don't complain at all, there is no reason, if you don't want to see the banners, then you don't have to...

Come on, would you say no to some extra cash if you needed it, I severely doubt it, I'm not saying that Patchou needs money, I'm saying that he doesn't get everything for free at all, just making an income to have food... Its logical really...

RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by Pr0xY on 01-07-2005 at 10:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
You two, have you ever installed the sponsor, do you ever click these ad's? I doubt it, you can't really accidentally click them, and if you don't want to then you want, if you want to support patchou then you will, you don't have to install any adware or anything its optional...
Traxor, this has nothing to do with the optional sponsor that comes with plus, so STOP talking about it....
RE: RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by elreteipos on 01-08-2005 at 08:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Pr0xY
quote:
Christ.... why don't you just use your adblocker and stop complaining then.....

I complained because I saw it on a website. I don't have problems with it but I don't want others to get problems with it...
RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by user27089 on 01-08-2005 at 09:14 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Pr0xY
quote:
Originally posted by traxor
You two, have you ever installed the sponsor, do you ever click these ad's? I doubt it, you can't really accidentally click them, and if you don't want to then you want, if you want to support patchou then you will, you don't have to install any adware or anything its optional...
Traxor, this has nothing to do with the optional sponsor that comes with plus, so STOP talking about it....

I spoke about it once, and in the way that I was speaking was generally relevant, I was giving an example to why, and where i said 'you don't have to install any adware' i was referring to the banners... not the sponsor software, I spoke about that once.

quote:
I complained because I saw it on a website. I don't have problems with it but I don't want others to get problems with it...

why would others have problems with the banners, most of us are sensible people and realise that these banners are just for some cash, and if they click these banners then its on their own accord, is it not? You're the first person to ever post a thread like this as far as I know, i'm sure that we won't have any trouble, they're just banners, they aren't causing harm to anyone, they're on most sites.
RE: RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by Sam Spade on 01-12-2005 at 01:48 PM

quote:
Sam Spade, let's make something very clear: I didn't remove the ads because of this thread, I removed them because of Smiley Central being incompatible with Plus! at some levels. What was said at the beginning of this thread still stands: most sites use the same sources for advertisement and they all advertise for the same stuff: emoticons, screensavers, etc... if you're not happy about it, I suggest you stop using the internet.

I see that your new advertisements are live - very Google'ish.  The very first advertisement I saw was for www.smileycentral.com (paired with www.briefcase.com).
RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by TheBlasphemer on 01-12-2005 at 03:22 PM

You don't get it do you?
Let's put it in CAPS, so you can't use the excuse you didnt read it:

GOOGLE DOES NOT LET YOU CHOOSE WHAT ADS TO DISPLAY, THEY ARE SELECTED BY CHOOSING KEYWORDS FROM THE CONTENT OF THE SITE!
now shut the fuck up

EDIT:
on the banner, click "Ads by gooooogle" and file a complaint there...
stop pissing us off...

RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by wj on 01-12-2005 at 04:30 PM

quote:
I see that your new advertisements are live - very Google'ish.  The very first advertisement I saw was for www.smileycentral.com (paired with www.briefcase.com).

Considering he switched to please you and the other "Ad naysayers", Give him some time to add the proper filters to Google's Adsense, It takes some serious tweaking to get it just right for a site like msgplus.net where the keywords can be construed eaisly.
RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by L. Coyote on 01-12-2005 at 08:25 PM

Yay! Google Ads! :D

Congrats! (Y)

:P Funny to see there are still complaints about this. :rofl:

RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by TheBlasphemer on 01-12-2005 at 08:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Leo
Funny to see there are still complaints about this.
Well, they need *something* to complain about, don't they?
Can't imagine them not complaining...
RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by Sam Spade on 01-14-2005 at 12:41 PM

quote:
You don't get it do you?

GOOGLE DOES NOT LET YOU CHOOSE WHAT ADS TO DISPLAY, THEY ARE SELECTED BY CHOOSING KEYWORDS FROM THE CONTENT OF THE SITE!
now shut the fuck up

TB, my post was perfectly polite - not a single swear word, purely information.  I'll leave it to you to work out within yourself why your response was so extreme.

If you checked your facts before posting I wouldn't have to say this, but let's see who has REALLY got their 'facts straight'.

Google allows for advertisement filtering.  It is called the URL Filter.

To quote:

"Google combines advanced technology with editorial staff to ensure the highest quality standards in our ad program, but we recognize that you may not want certain ads, such as your competitors' ads, to show on your website. Ads that link to sites on your filter list won't appear on your content pages. You can update your list anytime, and changes will take effect within a few hours.Please note that filtering sites may decrease your potential earnings and/or the number of ads that can appear on your web pages. "

In the past few weeks I've seen one new user told by a long-standing member of this forum that the MP Sponsor only installs one toolbar when in fact it can install two - the silver search bar and the blue passthrough toolbar (the user in question had both on his system).  I've also seen Patchou say that SmileyCentral isn't advertised anymore, when in fact it was still being advertised on the non-English forums.  Now I see you SCREAMING that Google doesn't let web site owners choose ads, when in fact Google allows the filtering of unwanted web sites. 

I hope you'll forgive me for hanging around to point out such errors, in the hope that everybody will learn, and that misinformation will be fixed.  I point out that I waited two days for Patchou to be told by somebody else about the SmileyCentral advertisements on the non-English pages; I also waited two days for your error about Google to be pointed out.  Nobody else said anything, therefore I had to.

RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by TheBlasphemer on 01-14-2005 at 12:57 PM

quote:
quote:
You don't get it do you?

now shut the fuck up

Let's see who has REALLY got their 'facts straight'.

Google allows for advertisement filtering.  It is called URL Filter.

To quote:

"Google combines advanced technology with editorial staff to ensure the highest quality standards in our ad program, but we recognize that you may not want certain ads, such as your competitors' ads, to show on your website. Ads that link to sites on your filter list won't appear on your content pages. You can update your list anytime, and changes will take effect within a few hours.Please note that filtering sites may decrease your potential earnings and/or the number of ads that can appear on your web pages. "

I suppose you didn't do any research and found out that smileycentral advertises under literally hundreds of domains names?
RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by Sam Spade on 01-14-2005 at 01:21 PM

[quote=TheBlasphemer
I suppose you didn't do any research and found out that smileycentral advertises under literally hundreds of domains names?

That might have been a good point if the site being advertised had not been www.smileycentral.com :rofl:

It still doesn't change the fact that Google DOES allow users to filter unwanted domains. It is not a no choice situation as you alleged.

Seriously TB, your response to my post was REALLY over the top, and incorrect.  I was simply providing information, just like I provided information about the SmileyCentral advertisements appearing on the non-English MSGPLUS sites, and information about the fact that the Sponsor Program can install TWO toolbars, not just one.  There was no need for such swearing.  I hope you will see that I am NOT responding in kind, and will temper your posts accordingly.

RE: Malware being advertised at this forum by Plik on 01-14-2005 at 03:35 PM

quote:
It still doesn't change the fact that Google DOES allow users to filter unwanted domains. It is not a no choice situation as you alleged.

quote:
Originally posted by wj
quote:

Considering he switched to please you and the other "Ad naysayers", Give him some time to add the proper filters to Google's Adsense, It takes some serious tweaking to get it just right for a site like msgplus.net where the keywords can be construed eaisly.