Shoutbox

comp wont shut down - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: comp wont shut down (/showthread.php?tid=36422)

comp wont shut down by Edna Mode on 01-04-2005 at 05:50 PM

hey

this has been happening for to long now so i am posting it, everytime i shutdown my computer it doesnt actually shut down, it freezez on the "windows 98 is shutting down" screen, since there are no programs that could be not responding because once that screen appears, everything in ended, and yet my computer is not being shut down properly because i always have to hit the restart switch and then the shut down switch, so my computer never is shut down properly.
  PLEASE HELP

RE: comp wont shut down by spokes on 01-04-2005 at 05:52 PM

i don't know much bout 98 but if it happened to me, i'd back EVERYTHING up and then reformat, sure to fix the problem.

i'm not advising you to do that tho

RE: comp wont shut down by Edna Mode on 01-04-2005 at 05:54 PM

reformat, whats that????

RE: comp wont shut down by spokes on 01-04-2005 at 05:57 PM

it's when you put in the windows disk that should have come with ur pc and wipe everything off the pc and then it puts it back on

RE: comp wont shut down by .blade// on 01-04-2005 at 05:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Violet
reformat, whats that????

Remformatting is a radical step. It basically whipes the hard-drive clean and then prepares it for a fresh Windows installation. A less radical step that would prob. work the same is repairing Windows.

1) Instert Windows 98 CD
2) Reboot
3) Press F12 to access the boot menu
4) Select "Boot from CD"
5) When it says "Press Any Key to Continue" hit "Enter"
*Wait for installation to load*
6) Go into the "Install Windows" menu and search for "Repair an existing installation of Windows"
*Let CD do its thing*
:P
RE: comp wont shut down by Edna Mode on 01-04-2005 at 06:01 PM

i dont think i'll be doing that, its a bit rash, and our computer guy is retiring *tears* so i aint doin nothing to destroy my computer, *yes i  assume eveything to its worse extent*. is there any other possible cause of my problem???

RE: comp wont shut down by Plik on 01-04-2005 at 06:04 PM

When i had this problem before the only solution was to format.
Do a virus scan because its was lots of viruses that caused my problem. Although the AV didnt fix it.

RE: comp wont shut down by Edna Mode on 01-04-2005 at 06:08 PM

it cant be a virus because i do a scan everyday, im not sure if i even have my windows 98 disk, our computer guy keep's most of that i think.

RE: comp wont shut down by spokes on 01-04-2005 at 06:10 PM

format is the same as reformat

RE: comp wont shut down by Edna Mode on 01-04-2005 at 06:18 PM

is there any other way to fix this problem, how about defragmenting the computer??

RE: comp wont shut down by andrey on 01-04-2005 at 06:19 PM

...lol, (re)formatting isn't always the best solution :-/
(And defragmenting won't change anything)

...But this "Windows 98 (SE) freezes at shutdown screen" is a known problem, I had it once too...well it got *fixed* somehow, now it reboots everytime I try to shut it down and boots as soon as the power switch is back on :-/

I was just too lazy to fix my shutdown prob and used the brute force of my power switch :P

There are quite a few articles about this on microsoft.com, for example
Problems Shutting Down Windows 98 Second Edition,
How to troubleshoot Windows 98 shutdown problems,
Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement
And a patch from Microsoft that should fix shoutdown problems (lol), available here.

RE: comp wont shut down by Edna Mode on 01-04-2005 at 06:22 PM

ok, thanks, i'll read those

RE: comp wont shut down by Jhrono on 01-04-2005 at 06:30 PM

wtf!:\

quote:
Originally posted by Violet
scan everyday,

I Do 2 to 4 scans a year LOL
RE: comp wont shut down by andrey on 01-04-2005 at 06:54 PM

Scanning every day and scanning twice a year are the two extremes...I think one or two scans per month are perfectly okay.

Btw, disabling fast shutdown in the registry and applying the Patch just fixed my shutdown probs. :cheesy:

RE: comp wont shut down by Striker on 01-04-2005 at 11:28 PM

i also had a similiar problem.
It ended up being my video card. It had some "bugs" in it. Once i switched video cards, the problem went away
So this very well could also be a hardware issue

RE: comp wont shut down by Edna Mode on 01-05-2005 at 05:17 AM

i scan my computer lots because i have some weird well known history of gaining viruses ovenight, we once gained a TROJAN BACKDOOR overnight, *crys*. my computer has already been reformatted twice and aint gonna be done again

RE: comp wont shut down by Chris.1 on 01-05-2005 at 10:42 PM

You should scan for viruses once a week and update your virus definitions daily.

Scanning for viruses multiple times everyday is a bit radical and, although it won't do any harm, you probably won't catch anything in such a short space of time.

RE: comp wont shut down by Plik on 01-05-2005 at 10:47 PM

I dont see the use in scaning non stop when infact most viruses come from running you dodgy file you got sent. IMO the best anti virus is common sense.