Shoutbox

Last unread reply. - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Last unread reply. (/showthread.php?tid=36428)

Last unread reply. by Mike on 01-04-2005 at 07:26 PM

Hello.

myBB RC 3 (I think) and 4 have this great feature that takes you to the last unread reply of a thread.

Heres an example:

Thread
--Reply ID 1
--Reply ID 2
--Reply ID 3
--Reply ID 4
--Reply ID 5
--Reply ID 6
--etc...

The bolded reply was the last one I read when I last checked the thread.
So if I go to view the thread from a special image (like myBB does it and other forum software) or something it will go me to the reply ID 4 to continue reading the thread from where I stopped reading it.

WDZ, can you please put this feature on these forums too? :)

Thank you for reading :P

RE: Last unread reply. by WDZ on 01-04-2005 at 07:36 PM

I dunno how reliable that would be, because the board only remembers at what time you last loaded a thread, and since the data is stored in a cookie, only a limited number of threads can be remembered. :-/

I'll look into it though.

Oh, where would the link to this feature be? The little arrow » thing takes you to the very last post, not the last unread. Do I need to add another link/image? :dodgy:

RE: Last unread reply. by Mike on 01-04-2005 at 07:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Oh, where would the link to this feature be? The little arrow » thing takes you to the very last post, not the last unread. Do I need to add another link/image? 
Well, myBB RC 4 adds a little image left from the thread title.
A little arrow would be nice... :)

RE: Last unread reply. by Menthix on 01-05-2005 at 07:05 PM

Heh, vever noticed that was linked to the first unread post :). Looks like this. Image used for it attached .[Image: attachment.php?pid=356800]

Can be very usefull indeed.

RE: Last unread reply. by WDZ on 01-19-2005 at 05:30 AM

I added the feature to showthread.php, and linked to it from latest.php. Instead of adding that new icon, I just made the current [Image: newfolder.gif] image a link, which seemed to make more sense, and was easier for me, the lazy bastard. :p

Remember that, as I said above, this feature is unreliable.

I suppose I'll go add the link to forumdisplay as well... |-)

RE: Last unread reply. by John Anderton on 01-19-2005 at 06:08 AM

I think that the feature of latest posts is a good addition to forums. It is not there in the original mbb i think. So good job.
I dunno but will this feature also cost the forum more resourses ???
Ok the feature will be useful but u can alwayz use the link to the posts u participated in to see whats up there.
Also we are still using only rc 2 and rc4 is out :dodgy:

RE: Last unread reply. by WDZ on 01-19-2005 at 06:12 AM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
I dunno but will this feature also cost the forum more resourses ???
What feature? The last unread reply or the latest posts? They're both optional, and both efficient, so they should be fine.

quote:
Also we are still using only rc 2 and rc4 is out
Old news. :p Upgrading is lots of work for this board, so I'm gonna wait until the final version of MyBB 1.00 is released.
RE: Last unread reply. by lopardo on 01-19-2005 at 07:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I added the feature to showthread.php, and linked to it from latest.php. Instead of adding that new icon, I just made the current [Image: newfolder.gif] image a link, which seemed to make more sense, and was easier for me, the lazy bastard. :p
:lol:

Nice work WDZ, we love you. :P

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Old news. :P Upgrading is lots of work for this board, so I'm gonna wait until the final version of MyBB 1.00 is released.
It works great, so I'd suggest leaving it as it is as long as you can :P
RE: Last unread reply. by John Anderton on 01-19-2005 at 07:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by lopardo

It works great, so I'd suggest leaving it as it is as long as you can :P
Thats rite but a new version is out so r there gonna be security updates in that ???
RE: Last unread reply. by -dt- on 01-19-2005 at 08:04 AM

nope because wdz and surfi (i think) fixes all the current security exploits on the forum

RE: Last unread reply. by WDZ on 01-19-2005 at 02:27 PM

Yeah, I've fixed all known security holes in this board. Also, because I've reviewed every single line of code and made some general improvements, I've probably fixed things that nobody (not even myself) was aware of.

RE: Last unread reply. by John Anderton on 01-19-2005 at 04:03 PM

Thats why ur the forum admin. Good work wdz (Y)
Dunno why ppl say ur lazy ???
Thats what it sayz here :D

RE: Last unread reply. by andrey on 01-22-2005 at 02:35 AM

quote:
Dunno why ppl say ur lazy ???
Thats what it sayz here
:rolleyes:
Saying WDZ is lazy is just kidding, not meant serious  (most of the time)

Thanks for the "last unread reply" feature WDZ, now you can finally work on The rules.. you lazy admin :wink:
RE: Last unread reply. by Hank on 01-22-2005 at 03:34 AM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I dunno how reliable that would be, because the board only remembers at what time you last loaded a thread, and since the data is stored in a cookie, only a limited number of threads can be remembered. :-/

I'll look into it though.

Oh, where would the link to this feature be? The little arrow » thing takes you to the very last post, not the last unread. Do I need to add another link/image? :dodgy:

WDZ. a suggestion to test this out, could  you Maybe setup a test server to test this what Mike said? .

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Old news. Upgrading is lots of work for this board, so I'm gonna wait until the final version of MyBB 1.00 is released.

from what i been looking at on the MyBB, doesnt seem to me that it looks like any newer Progress is being done bout bringing out a final release,

RE: Last unread reply. by WDZ on 01-22-2005 at 04:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Demandred
WDZ. a suggestion to test this out, could  you Maybe setup a test server to test this what Mike said?
Huh? A test server to test one little feature? :p

I'll probably set up a test copy of the board on my local PC next time I upgrade, because it would be really useful then.

quote:
Originally posted by Demandred
from what i been looking at on the MyBB, doesnt seem to me that it looks like any newer Progress is being done bout bringing out a final release,
Well, you don't even know when the final will be released, do you? :-/
RE: Last unread reply. by Hank on 01-22-2005 at 04:50 AM

no i dont, but as i said, i dont see anymore prograss on a MyBB5  then release maybe a final,