Shoutbox

Good Antivirus - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Good Antivirus (/showthread.php?tid=36437)

Good Antivirus by *Saint* on 01-04-2005 at 09:43 PM

Whats a very good antivirus

RE: Good Antivirus by Derick on 01-04-2005 at 09:47 PM

hmm... Adaware is good, Sophos, ahh its ok, Norton antivirus (Sucks, but cleans fast and deletes downloaded files with viruses) Virus Hammer, its fine.

RE: Good Antivirus by *Saint* on 01-04-2005 at 09:50 PM

thanks i want to see what other people put too then ill choose the most talked about one

RE: Good Antivirus by Plik on 01-04-2005 at 09:55 PM

Norton and symantec are good.
I wouldnt recomend adaware because it deals with adware more than viruses.

RE: Good Antivirus by user13774 on 01-04-2005 at 09:58 PM

Ad-Aware doesn't deal with virusses at all.

Also read:
Best Free Anti-Virus software.

RE: Good Antivirus by Derick on 01-04-2005 at 10:06 PM

Adaware is a great program to own, it removes Spyware and Ad-ware.. such as the evul: Gator Adware x.x

RE: Good Antivirus by *Saint* on 01-04-2005 at 10:08 PM

i have the system mechanic thing remove that for me.
system mechanic came with antivirus but it took like 14 hours

RE: Good Antivirus by Caboose on 01-04-2005 at 11:05 PM

I personally use avast! Antivirus and I've had no problems with it. Plus, the home version is free :)

RE: Good Antivirus by uberdosis on 01-05-2005 at 09:36 AM

AVG.

RE: Good Antivirus by Sylvain on 01-05-2005 at 09:45 AM

i use norton antivirus

RE: Good Antivirus by Eljay on 01-05-2005 at 09:51 AM

ya norton is good
makes my comp a bit slow on startup but still good (Y)

RE: Good Antivirus by Hank on 01-05-2005 at 10:10 AM

Norton Good? compared to what.though i cant complain, most versions i had of it have been pirated copies :-P  but now i use a Antivirus called VET, its not just Australian Made Antivirus software, they also have a company in America An somewhere else, but there website is http://www.vet.com.au/ i highly recommend it,

RE: Good Antivirus by FrozernFire on 01-05-2005 at 10:40 AM

AVG free edition.
if you want some very-user-friendly anti virus, norton anti virus is good. full system scan once a week is good enough to keep your system clean.

RE: Good Antivirus by DJeX on 01-05-2005 at 02:32 PM

Norton Anti Virus 2005 (Y), but I recommend buying Norton System Works 2005 with the antivirus. Great program. Matain and keep your computer running in top shape while being protected against hacking attacks, spyware/adware and all sorts of viruses. Very useful and reliable program.

RE: Good Antivirus by *Saint* on 01-05-2005 at 04:47 PM

thanks everyone

RE: Good Antivirus by John Anderton on 01-05-2005 at 04:57 PM

Norton antivirus sucks cause it lets almost everything through. I use f-prot and its awesome. Also NAV is resource hungry. NAV 04 requires about 15 - 18 mb ram (approx.) Really used to slow down my pc. So i switched to f-prot and it takes about 600 - 800 kb ram and runs 2 files. The autoprotect and scheduler the latter u can switch off.
Go to http://www.f-prot.com for more. It sayz that the min req. is that u should have a running windoze cause it that works so will this :D

RE: Good Antivirus by CookieRevised on 01-05-2005 at 05:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
Norton antivirus sucks cause it lets almost everything through.
not true... configure it properly.... (you can even configure it so it doesn't let ANYTHING though, also not good of course :p)

quote:
Also NAV is resource hungry.
that's partialy true yes, it nests deep into your system if that is what you mean. But if configured correctly, it doesn't use any more resource then any other virussscanner.

RE: Good Antivirus by DeJa_Vu on 01-05-2005 at 06:00 PM

I would say Kaspersky Anti-Virus

[Image: logo_bottom.gif]

I used Norton antivirus (2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005) for more than 5 years and to be honest it's a good program.  One day my PC was hit with a virus that norton could only catch and couldn't delete and it kept annoying me with its pop-up alert window every while.

Norton had an upper hand over other programs due to its live-update feature, but currently almost every antivirus has that.

Kaspersky virus definition is updated every a few minutes without interrupting your work, and in case a new virus (or worm) is found, you can inform them and within 2-3 days they release a new virus definition.

RE: Good Antivirus by John Anderton on 01-05-2005 at 06:37 PM

I gotta say norton's ok but it ain't for my pc cause i have only 128 Mb ram so the system becomes slow. What were config's u were talkin bout cookie cause i used to use the default configs. When i put f-prot it found 2 viruses nesting in my pc.
Also since we are talkin bout av's. My friend had nav and it didn't show any virus. He removed it and put some other av it think avg ang it showed that there was a virus in the system restore folder. So is that a virus or is it incorrectly detected ???

RE: Good Antivirus by GiantSpider on 01-05-2005 at 07:42 PM

I use McAfee Net Security 2005. And since when has AVG (Free Edition) ever been good?

RE: Good Antivirus by Edna Mode on 01-06-2005 at 02:09 AM

i use VET antivirus pest patrol. i think its great it always detects viruses and gets rid of them.

RE: Good Antivirus by CookieRevised on 01-06-2005 at 11:46 AM

quote:
I gotta say norton's ok but it ain't for my pc cause i have only 128 Mb ram so the system becomes slow. What were config's u were talkin bout cookie cause i used to use the default configs.
That doesn't matter. For each program you install (from word processor to Anti-whatever tool), you need to check the preferences if they are to your likings. This doesn't only go for anti-virus software. Default settings are very often not the proper configuration for your likings/system...

The same goes for Norton. You need to check the preferences the first time you're going to use it. Norton is a very powerfull anti-virus (too powerfull for some though; it nests deeply into the system, some people don't like that), and if people say it doesn't detect anything or less then others, then mostlikely they a) didn't configured it properly (to dedect everything) or b) didn't had the updated virus libraries (people often do forget about this)...

Of course it is possible that some virusscanner doesn't detect one particualr virus by name, but almost all virusscanners can be configured so that they still detect these kind of new virusses. Although false alarms may occur; and it is up to the user to interpret those.

I'm not saying that Norton is _thé_ virusscanner though, of course it has his flaws (like: it can detect almost anything, but can't always delete the virus completely although it will prevent execution.)

quote:
When i put f-prot it found 2 viruses nesting in my pc. Also since we are talkin bout av's. My friend had nav and it didn't show any virus. He removed it and put some other av it think avg ang it showed that there was a virus in the system restore folder. So is that a virus or is it incorrectly detected ???
This can still be a false detection. It depends on many things: first of all, how are the virusscanners configured. Second of all, not all virusscanners use the same strict/not so strict categoration of virusses.

eg: some scanners tell you, by default, a dos format program is a dangerous virus/trojan, others ignore it because there is nothing to worry about because it is a tool. A nice example of this is the tagging of the sponsor by AVG, AVG calls it a dangerous swizzor-trojan/virus, while in fact it is just adware. But it is quite possible that the sponsor has some kind of signature/code that resembles that of the swizzor trojan, yet it isn't, etc...

Again, a virusscanner is a very powerful tool and should be used and interpreted as that, not as an automatically out-of-the-box, "easy" n00b util. Although many people and even viruscompanies advertise it like that (of course)....

My advise would be: use 2 different virusscanners for the regular full diskscanning. And use one of the two to monitor activities. Before using them configure them properly and make sure you understand each option. If not, then seek further help/explaination of those options in the help files or on the sites, this is very important!

If something is detected, get more info about:
A) the program itself (read the EULA's, helpfiles, etc..., go to the site of that program, ask questions, etc...)
B) the actual detected virus/trojan/whatever. Again search the major virus-databases for more info (also the one from the concurrent virusscanner companies)

After all this ask yourself the questions: from where did I get the program? Did I downloaded it from some warez site or client (eg: emule, kazaa, etc...)? Then mostlikely it WILL be a virus... Did I used the program before without any problems and is the virus/trojan not some thing that would infect other programs? What did I run before? Then it could be a false alarm (especially if one virusscanner detects it and another not), etc.. etc..

You see, common sense is something you must not forget to use. Virusscanners (and other related tools like adware/spyware-monitors and even other things like HOSTS files and stuff) are not the almighty holy grales of security. They still are and always will be databases of stuff and tools to detect something automatically. And since programs and PC's still haven't an artificial intelligents there can still be errors and misinterpretations...
RE: Good Antivirus by J.J on 01-06-2005 at 11:59 AM

I use avast! anti virus.  I previousely used Norton but avast! is better :P

RE: RE: Good Antivirus by Bad Seed on 01-06-2005 at 12:21 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lappin
I use avast! anti virus.  I previousely used Norton but avast! is better :P

Exactly the same for me. I was a Norton user but I changed it for avast! Home :o)
RE: Good Antivirus by John Anderton on 01-06-2005 at 03:13 PM

Thanks cookie. I configure all programs by myself but not in the case of av's cause i thats one softwaer i dont know much about. Sorry i replied so late and brought back such an old thread but i had to say this. I only got time to reply now. Thanks cookie. One more thing. NAV 05 ... will it really slow down my pc. And if yes how can i if i can not make my pc slow without compramising my pc's security. Can u plz help Cookie :bow:.

RE: Good Antivirus by FrozernFire on 01-06-2005 at 03:59 PM

get more ram... 128mb is seriously too little. or like what cookie said, configure NAV 05 properly and it will not use up too much memory

RE: Good Antivirus by M73A on 01-06-2005 at 10:04 PM

AVG 7.0 rules. worth the money. i did have norton but AVG found sum viruses and trojans that norton didnt pick up. since den ive bin completely behind AVG.

RE: Good Antivirus by Flames on 01-08-2005 at 01:50 AM

i use zone alarm with anti-virus, a program that includes an award-winning firewall and anti-virus software.. i used it for about half a year now and my pc is still running in good condition! i only use a 128mb ram but it runs pretty quickly on my computer. I tried norton before and i think it's not as good because it takes up too much memory to run. i think ZA with antivirus can do as well as norton antivirus.. :D so i prefer ZA rather than norton

RE: Good Antivirus by belluso_316 on 01-08-2005 at 02:07 AM

just get Symantec Antivirus Corp edition 9.0.2.1000
is the best and low resourse

RE: Good Antivirus by spastje on 02-09-2005 at 12:59 AM

norton internet security 2005, it sucks but sometime it's good. Normaly I use Panda Internet Security 2005 but sometime I exchange too norton internet security 2005

RE: Good Antivirus by Jhrono on 02-09-2005 at 01:17 AM

I have norton (i totally suck:S..) Mcafee security center 2004...Anti virus, firewall, Adware spyware removal and Spam filter..

RE: Good Antivirus by The_Thief on 02-09-2005 at 03:20 AM

I use NOD32 made my ESSET.

RE: Good Antivirus by John Anderton on 02-09-2005 at 07:38 AM

* John Anderton hopes a av war aint gonna start again :dodgy:
Newayz my answer is Norton Antivirus (Really well know and most ppl use it. But for me takes too much resources; I have only 128 mb ram so plz understand. I heard it can be configured but i dunno how to do it. I could screw up and let some virises thru so i dont do anything) and (The one i'm using now) F-Prot Antivirus (Uses only 500 kb ram and really effective and fast. Down side is updates are released every 24 - 36 hr. Dunno how but it does seem to find updates and download em. I have cable net so itz ok. Norton needs to be updated only once a week or 8 dayz so thats one up for NAV)

If u want free then imo AVG is good but for Free AV only

Titanium by gdrori on 02-17-2005 at 07:34 PM

Pand Titanium 2005 is the best! Like PanaActiveScan

RE: RE: Good Antivirus by gdrori on 02-17-2005 at 07:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by johny
I have norton (i totally suck:S..) Mcafee security center 2004...Anti virus, firewall, Adware spyware removal and Spam filter..

McAffe have alot of problems my dad said.
RE: Good Antivirus by ProblemWv Authority on 02-17-2005 at 07:56 PM

I currently have Symantec Norton Internet Security 2004 (Norton Antivirus 2004), Ad-Aware SE Personal, Microsoft Antispyware and Service Pack 2 for windows XP. All good(Y). I advise getting a veriaty of Anti-Virus software. Quite alot of each target different types of viruses/adware/spyware and so some pick up what others don't.