Shoutbox

linux......? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: linux......? (/showthread.php?tid=36484)

linux......? by irish_king on 01-05-2005 at 04:58 PM

http://linuxiso.org/
does anybody know if these are full versions of linux?

and what is the best one to download, for a person that in new to linux?

RE: linux......? by .blade// on 01-05-2005 at 05:01 PM

Linux is a free operating system (open source) but is meant for more...advanced users.

If you really want to try it though, I suggest RedHat Linux or Mandrake Linux.

RE: RE: linux......? by irish_king on 01-05-2005 at 05:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
Linux is a free operating system (open source) but is meant for more...advanced users.

If you really want to try it though, I suggest RedHat Linux or Mandrake Linux.

thanks.

heres a totally unrealted question.
how come i see in tutorials for adobe photoshop 7, theres filters that i dont have?
RE: linux......? by Eljay on 01-05-2005 at 05:21 PM

afaik you can download filters from certain websites (if im wrong its because i hardly ever use photoshop, im a macromedia fanboy)

RE: linux......? by irish_king on 01-05-2005 at 05:31 PM

thanks

RE: linux......? by user27089 on 01-05-2005 at 06:15 PM

Personally, I would download linux as a user at your status, but you can if you want, download redhat, easier for learning members tbh, as for the filters... search google for them, you should get easy results ;).

RE: RE: linux......? by irish_king on 01-05-2005 at 06:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by traxor
Personally, I would download linux as a user at your status, but you can if you want, download redhat, easier for learning members tbh, as for the filters... search google for them, you should get easy results ;).

thanks, also with linux just wanna know some stuff, like what kind of stuff can i do with it?
and can i have it running my on my pc with winxp as a partition?
RE: linux......? by Anubis on 01-05-2005 at 06:21 PM

Actually for someone new to the world of Linux, I'd go with Gentoo, RedHat may be simple. But a nice feeling of Windows crossed with Linux is something that you can only get with Gentoo...it's very good for introducing people who are used to Windows to Linux...But it's probably a good idea to install it as a secondary OS, so you can choose whether you want to use Windows or Linux every time you start up your comp

RE: linux......? by .blade// on 01-05-2005 at 06:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by irish_king
thanks, also with linux just wanna know some stuff, like what kind of stuff can i do with it?
and can i have it running my on my pc with winxp as a partition?

You can run it in a partition, and Linux is mainly used for program/game development.

RedHat Linux official website:
http://www.redhat.com/
RE: linux......? by Vilkku on 01-05-2005 at 06:32 PM

There are also Linuxes wich you can start from a CD, so you don't need to have anything on the harddrive.

[20:32:51] <Vilkku> WOOOOO 400 400 400 400 400

RE: RE: linux......? by irish_king on 01-05-2005 at 06:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Actually for someone new to the world of Linux, I'd go with Gentoo, RedHat may be simple. But a nice feeling of Windows crossed with Linux is something that you can only get with Gentoo...it's very good for introducing people who are used to Windows to Linux...But it's probably a good idea to install it as a secondary OS, so you can choose whether you want to use Windows or Linux every time you start up your comp

at the site that i posted above, it shows multiple downlaed for Gentoo, these are the choices:
1) i386
2) PPC
3) Sparc
4) AMD64

which one do i download?

RE: linux......? by Dr4g0n on 01-05-2005 at 06:36 PM

Whichever is compatible with your pc :p

RE: RE: linux......? by irish_king on 01-05-2005 at 06:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Dr4g0n
Whichever is compatible with your pc :p

how do i know if it is compatible with my pc?
RE: linux......? by WDZ on 01-05-2005 at 06:59 PM

I think the i386 is what you want, unless you have a 64-bit AMD processor, a Mac, or an expensive Sun server. :p

RE: RE: linux......? by irish_king on 01-05-2005 at 07:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I think the i386 is what you want, unless you have a 64-bit AMD processor, a Mac, or an expensive Sun server. :p

this is what my pc is:
Windows XP Pro/ Servic Pack 2
AMD Athlon XP 2500+
1.83GHz
256MB Ram
RE: linux......? by WDZ on 01-05-2005 at 07:04 PM

Yeah, get the i386.

RE: RE: linux......? by irish_king on 01-05-2005 at 07:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Yeah, get the i386.

thanks for your help.
RE: linux......? by Chris.1 on 01-05-2005 at 10:30 PM

If you haven't installed Linux yet, try using the SUSE Live Eval CD. It's great. It runs directly from the CD without modifying your system at all and shows you what SUSE Linux would be like if you had the proper version installed on your system - it's also good for seeing what drivers etc work.