Shoutbox

- Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: (/showthread.php?tid=36528)

by dreaded on 01-06-2005 at 12:44 PM

I seen some folks wanted to know where to get it. Well you can get today from here http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?F...671&DisplayLang=en

by tgnb on 01-06-2005 at 12:57 PM

Does it warn about Messenger Plus the same way the non-public beta did?

by dreaded on 01-06-2005 at 01:03 PM

Yes it finds every sing file and registry entry. I was suprised it fount everything for messenger plus files and registry items. Go download and try it its only like 6 meg.

by elreteipos on 01-06-2005 at 01:07 PM

Does it work on Win98 SE?

by CookieRevised on 01-06-2005 at 01:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by elreteipos
click the link and read the page....

quote:
System Requirements:
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Windows 2000 Professional Edition , Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Service Pack 2, Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows XP Home Edition , Windows XP Media Center Edition, Windows XP Professional Edition , Windows XP Service Pack 1, Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
in other words, no....
by user13774 on 01-06-2005 at 01:38 PM

Dodgy MS:

First of all: here is a direct link: http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/1/5/815d...SpywareInstall.exe

I downloaded it. It works very well. I looks extremly nice en more professional then Ad-aware.. now let's hope they make it a free utility.. and get a spyware definitions database as large as ad-aware :)

It still detects Msgplus as dangerous...

[Image: attachment.php?pid=357251]

Messenger Plus!
Type: Adware Bundler
Threat Level: High
Author: Patchou

Description: Messenger Plus! is a add-on for MSN Messenger. Messenger Plus! installs an OPTIONAL adware called C2Media which is also known as LOP.com.

Advice: This software is not necessarily adware. However, it does install other adware programs as well as perform potential hazardous actions on your computer. In either case this software is not to be trusted.
Since this application gives you the option to not install the adware that comes bundled, we recommend ignoring it.

About Adware Bundler: A Bundler is a software program that installs adware on your computer either with your permission or without. Most of the software classified as a bundler requires that the adware program(s) be installed in order for the actual software to complete installation or run. In addition in most cases if the adware is removed the software will seize to function as well.

And it found 3363 register keys related to Msgplus... that's probably all of them :dodgy:

EDIT:

BTW.. this sentence does not make sense: Messenger Plus! installs an OPTIONAL adware called C2Media which is also known as LOP.com.

It should be something The Messenger Plus! installer gives you an OPTION to install OPTIONAL adware called C2Media bla blap

EDIT2:

Nice nice nice.. I really like the way MS AntiSpyware also contains all the option HijackThis has, like restoring search / start page, controlling all downloaded Active X components, toolbars, BHO's etc. Check this second screenie in my next post.

Wow.. it even has a Tracks eraser tool in it to clear all sorts of history files, such as Windows resent documents, Windows temporary files, Windows Media Player history files, but also for 3rd party programs such as WinRar en adobe reader..

by user13774 on 01-06-2005 at 01:59 PM

[Image: attachment.php?pid=357259]

by zaidgs on 01-06-2005 at 02:13 PM

whats with this "genuin windows" thing?!
does it mean that if i dont have a genuin windows the program will not install ?!

by user13774 on 01-06-2005 at 02:17 PM

It is a check which checks if ur windows has a legal key. BUT.. for this download you don't have to do it. Just click continue.. then choose "No, do not validate Windows at this time, but take me to the download" and you can download it.

here's a direct link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/1/5/815d...SpywareInstall.exe

by zaidgs on 01-06-2005 at 02:21 PM

i mean, after the download, will it install ?!?!
downloading is in progress for me .... but i dont want to download for nothing :S :$

quote:
Originally posted by Markus
and get a spyware definitions database as large as ad-aware
so spyware definitions of this beta are modest ?!?! and not comprehensive ?
by user13774 on 01-06-2005 at 02:34 PM

quote:
i mean, after the download, will it install ?!?!
downloading is in progress for me .... but i dont want to download for nothing
Yes it will. The genuine thing is only for downloading. Not for installing.

quote:
so spyware definitions of this beta are modest ?!?! and not comprehensive ?
To tell the truth, that was just a guess of me. I think Ad-Aware's database is larger but I have no idea. Because Microsoft AntiSpyware is based on Giant Antispyware it must have quite a big definitions database. It sure is comprehensive enough. But you must remember it is still a beta.
by dreaded on 01-06-2005 at 02:49 PM

This is nothing but a reworked version Giant AntiSpyware. To me it looks like the only thing they did was put thier name on it. The definitions of Giant AntiSpyware and any products like it pestpatrol,spyware sweeper, spyware doctor has a bigger database and detects more than spybot or adaware. Unless microsoft is gonna stip it. But cuase of that in all of them products they have false postives, all of the ones I have named has gotten alot of crtizism for having false positives. So watch out for false positives. I hope they make this product for free and dont limit what it will detect. I doubt it will be free though. Seen on other sites that they might sell it. Only time will tell.

by John Anderton on 01-06-2005 at 02:57 PM

Is it good and actually of any use. I already have xoftspy 4. So should i get this ??

by dreaded on 01-06-2005 at 03:14 PM

I wouldnt get anything without looking here first http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#xos_note
Giant is one ot the good ones. The ones I listed is are known to be non ripp offs. And this is giant reworked.

by user13774 on 01-06-2005 at 03:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
Is it good and actually of any use. I already have xoftspy 4. So should i get this ??
quote:
Originally posted by dreaded
I wouldnt get anything without looking here first http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm#xos_note
Giant is one ot the good ones. The ones I listed is are known to be non ripp offs. And this is giant reworked.

There is no doubt Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D are the best. They are free, they have a very good definition database and do their job well. I'm starting to like MS AntiSpyware too, but this beta works a bit slow and just for fast cleaning I like Ad-Aware more..
by tgnb on 01-06-2005 at 04:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by zaidgs
whats with this "genuin windows" thing?!
does it mean that if i dont have a genuin windows the program will not install ?!

If you dont have a Genuine Windows then you are a software pirate. If you can't afford to purchase a legal copy you should really search for an alternative instead of stealing.
by elreteipos on 01-06-2005 at 04:58 PM

does somebody know where you can report that Msg+ ins't spyware?

by user27089 on 01-06-2005 at 05:02 PM

To be honest, this is some of the best spyware/adware removal software that I have ever encountered :s.

by tgnb on 01-06-2005 at 05:10 PM

quote:
does somebody know where you can report that Msg+ ins't spyware?

I dont know where you can report it, but with a little bit of searching on microsoft's website i'm sure you can find a link, address or newsgroup. I doubt they will change how the software detects, labels and reports Messenger Plus however.

Edit:
Here is the newsgroup:
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/defau...P=spyware&sLCID=us

by mattm591 on 01-06-2005 at 07:08 PM

This is extremley good anti spyware software, finding things adaware and panda haven't noticed... however I was extremley angry with the inclusion of messenger plus! especially as they must have gone out of there way to add it, with plus not including any syware or references to once installed. However it amuses me how they contradict themselves first saying, "In either case this software is not to be trusted" and then saying "we recommend ignoring it".  I'm not sure how they work out ther threat levels as Plus! was higher than the actual spyware found.

by user13774 on 01-06-2005 at 07:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mattm591
However it amuses me how they contradict themselves first saying, "In either case this software is not to be trusted" and then saying "we recommend ignoring it".

Yes, I was wondering the same :D.
by tgnb on 01-06-2005 at 08:03 PM

People download anti-spyware software generally because they are infected, or because they got infected in the past, and to protect them from being infected again.
From my firsthand experience most people dont read. They don't read what the boxes say that suddenly pop up. They dont read the EULAs. They dont read the options during installation of software.
They might not read it because they are lazy, or maybe because over time they have become comfortable enough with software to a point where they wouldnt expect a vendor to trick them.
Spyware and Adware is exploiting this to their advantage. So people download anti-spyware software to avoid being taken advantage of.
Therefore I wouldnt be surprised that there are quite a few people out there who have NO IDEA that Messenger Plus! bundles adware. They simply click through. without reading or thinking about what the options they are clicking mean. For these people it is helpful to know that Messenger Plus! bundles adware, whether its installed or not. Therefore i think the Microsoft AntiSpyware software does precisely the right thing. Warn people that Messenger Plus is and adware bundler (not that adware is installed). It makes people aware about this who otherwise might not be aware. It leaves the default option to ignore because Messenger Plus itself isn't adware. But now these people have become informed and can make a better decision whether or not they want to continue to use Messenger Plus, or maybe install it without the bundled adware if they unknowingly accepted to install it.

by riball on 01-07-2005 at 11:21 AM

It now suggests Messenger Plus is the adware, if u see the title...

I was kinda shocked (I know better than that) when I saw it was spyware, untill I readed the boxes...

by tgnb on 01-07-2005 at 12:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by riball
It now suggests Messenger Plus is the adware, if u see the title...

It also detects WinPcap as spyware in that sense. WinPcap doesn't even bundle adware. Its 100% legitimate software. The reason it is classified as spyware is because its not a common tool an average user would have installed. It is a powerful tool that can "help" spyware do more damage. It is labled as an "enabler" when one looks at the detail, while Messenger Plus is labled as an "adware bundler".
In a sense it is unfortunate that they slap the label "spyware detected" on anything suspicious even if it isn't spyware. However for the average joe computer user who doesn't read what they click when they click it this probably protects them very well which in turn is a really good thing. Unfortunately although WinPcap doesnt even bundle adware they have no chance of removing themselves. Messenger Plus however has a choice. Patchou could call for the help of his huge userbase to help him find a revenue stream that doesnt require bundling adware and he'll be off the list probably as soon as he stops the bundling.
by Patchou on 01-07-2005 at 03:40 PM

tgnb: we already had this discussion before many times... if I could sell Messenger Plus! instead of using adware, I would do it, but I have to face the fact that peopel don't pay forthe software they use very much these days, especially not for plugins of another free (MSN Messenger) program.

What you're describing for WinPcap is exactly what I was talking aboutin the other thread. I have very concerned about what's going to happen this year and the next in thesoftware developement community. If a big company (Microsoft or any other one) distributes a software that "tags" software they don't like for X or Y reason, it's going to cause lots of damage. Nobody has the right to do that kind of thing, this is just a completely unfair practice made in the name of "let's protect our users". They could very well start warning about Real Video being installed on your computer with all the crap its auto-update installs on one's computer. I'm asking you: where's the limit and who's going to decide about it?

by XM4ST3RX on 01-07-2005 at 04:03 PM

Hi,ll

Microsoft AntiSpyware Program (originally owned by GIANT Company) is not that bad against Messenger Plus!

It's default action is 'Ignore', and in the warning message they recommend ignoring it.

Nothing really to worry about, however some users may delete Messenger Plus! under the influence that it may be bad spyware software...

Microsoft should detect whether or not the sponsor program has been installed, if not then it should not be detected as spyware.

Here is a screenshot of GIANT AntiSpyware concerning Messenger Plus!:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=357833]

by user13774 on 01-07-2005 at 04:36 PM

LOL... Microsoft really completly ripped the interface and probably also all the options. I think they didn't even check the 'spy- and adware' definitions for entries they disagree with. Fraisie posted before that she was gonna contact M$ about it and I guess they will change it into something more logical, or even remove it (if you don't have the sponsor installed).

At least they should change this:

quote:
EDIT:

BTW.. this sentence does not make sense: Messenger Plus! installs an OPTIONAL adware called C2Media which is also known as LOP.com.

A installer installing an optional adware ^o)

It should be something like: The Messenger Plus! installer gives you an OPTION to install adware called C2Media bla bla. This is completly OPTIONAL. Be sure to choose not to install the sponsor if you don't want the C2Media adware.

by dreaded on 01-07-2005 at 04:47 PM

I dont know why ms is doing this. But what I do know is that spybot, adaware, and pestpatrol does not label messenger plus as adware. I dont remember any other program I tried to doing either. If I remember correctly spy sweeper and spyware doctor didnt label msg plus as adaware either. Has anyone ever contacted them and asked them why?

by tgnb on 01-07-2005 at 06:10 PM

quote:
tgnb: we already had this discussion before many times... if I could sell Messenger Plus! instead of using adware, I would do it, but I have to face the fact that peopel don't pay forthe software they use very much these days, especially not for plugins of another free (MSN Messenger) program.

Patchou, I find it strange that you cannot figure out how to do what most other individual software developers and companies are able to do. As an adware bundler you are in the minority. Most softwares figure out how to support themselves and/or make a living without bundling adware to their software. Although you show excellent problem solving skills with your software I'm not sure why you cant find a solution to this problem. I think its probably because you dont consider it a problem to begin with. But as you can see.. some people do. In fact, enough people do in order for you to have been labeled and adware bundler by the developer of this software. I'm sure they didn't just add you because they dont like you or your software. I'm sure they have a pretty good reason.

quote:
What you're describing for WinPcap is exactly what I was talking aboutin the other thread. I have very concerned about what's going to happen this year and the next in thesoftware developement community. If a big company (Microsoft or any other one) distributes a software that "tags" software they don't like for X or Y reason, it's going to cause lots of damage. Nobody has the right to do that kind of thing, this is just a completely unfair practice made in the name of "let's protect our users".

I happen to disagree that this is a problem. The consumer is the king. The consumer gets what they want. The reason companies have to do this is because companies like C2Media take advantage of careless people who click on anything and everything.
Those same consumers are now demanding solutions to protect them from this and companies like Giant stepped up to the plate and gave the consumer what they wanted. If this software becomes widely used its becaue the consumers likes it.

quote:
They could very well start warning about Real Video being installed on your computer with all the crap its auto-update installs on one's computer. I'm asking you: where's the limit and who's going to decide about it?

Real found out the hard way that people dont like sneaky tactics. Their recent players have gotten much much better. In fact they almost stopped being sneaky altogether and its very easy now to turn any unwanted things off.

What you fear isn't really able to happen. If software would get categorized the wrong way the consumer would complain and stop using the software that wrongly categorizes things as "bad". If Giant/Microsoft would start unfairly labeling software in a way that consumers dont like, then they will use other software that gets the job done better.
by XM4ST3RX on 01-07-2005 at 06:30 PM

Hi,

Alot of people would pay for Messenger Plus!

But as Patchou said, not many people will pay for Addon's for another program...

Reason for this is MSN Messenger may release something that stop's Messenger Plus!'s full functionality, therefor the paying users are not getting what they paid for...

Whereas Sponsor Program's... you are helping Messenger Plus! on a day-to-day basis, for as long as Messenger Plus! is alive on your system!

Kind Regards,
XM4ST3RX

by Patchou on 01-07-2005 at 06:46 PM

tgnb: I think you have a too much optimistic vision of the world.., people beleive what they read, especially when the source is well known. If Microsoft antispyware was to say that Firefox is a spyware, then most people would be afraid and would uninstall it. You say it yourself, people tend to be naive (me being the first one) and antivirussoftware are taking thisfact to their own advantage. They find "dangerous cookies" on your computer, "128 registry key of death", etc... the more they find, the better people think they are. I don't know many people who second guess what their antispyware/antivirus software tell them to do. Here lies the problem. Icould probably easily demonstrates this by making an auto-update of Plus! that would display "Firefox was detected on your system, it is dangerous, do you want to remove it" and I'm pretty sure 90% of my users would agree to uninstall. As I said, this is just unfairand in my opinion, a limit must be placed somewhere.

by tgnb on 01-07-2005 at 07:44 PM

quote:
tgnb: I think you have a too much optimistic vision of the world

It is unfortunate that you think so. I condiser myself neither optimistic nor pessimistic but instead try to be realistic. Being realistic, i know that people dont like adware. This is why they install anti-spyware/adware software to begin with. Those people might have installed your software without knowing that you bundled adware because they dont read what they click on. So this spyware program from microsoft is kind enough to tell them that you are an adware bundler.

quote:
If Microsoft antispyware was to say that Firefox is a spyware, then most people would be afraid and would uninstall it.

But Microsoft antispyware has no reason to say that Firefix is a spyware. If firefox were to bundle adware then it would be detected the same way as you. The fact is the program alerts people of adware bundlers because peple WANT to be alerted. Their customers WANT to know what software on their system is doing things they might not realize. Microsofts software does exactly that. I would argue that there are more users of Anti spyware than there are of Plus. So your users who dont want Plus to be detected are in the minority. There are obviously enough people out there who are happy with what the software does. Thats why they install and use it in the first place. They don't want adware and they want to know who adware bundlers are so they can avoid them if they choose to.

quote:
You say it yourself, people tend to be naive (me being the first one) and antivirussoftware are taking thisfact to their own advantage. They find "dangerous cookies" on your computer, "128 registry key of death", etc... the more they find, the better people think they are.

I disagree with you that Anti Virus vendors take advantage of this. Quite contrary I think YOU are taking advantage of that fact by bundling the adware although we all know most people dont want adware on their computers. Regular people are unable to tell the difference between BAD adware and GOOD adware anyway. People dont want ANY adware.

quote:
I don't know many people who second guess what their antispyware/antivirus software tell them to do.

And thats where part of your fear comes in. You think people will trust their anti-spyware program more than they will trust you. And I dont blame them.

quote:
Here lies the problem. Icould probably easily demonstrates this by making an auto-update of Plus! that would display "Firefox was detected on your system, it is dangerous, do you want to remove it" and I'm pretty sure 90% of my users would agree to uninstall.

And after some time, people would realize that this is not true and reinstall Firefox. And then they have lost your trust and wont believe you ever again. And the same thing will happen to Microsoft anti spyware if they wrongfully label software.

quote:
As I said, this is just unfairand in my opinion, a limit must be placed somewhere.

Fortunately it is a system of checks and balances. A consumer will reject software if it doesnt do what it advertises. If anti virus and anti spyware companies really would take advantage of the consumers then the consumer would eventually figure it out and reject such programs.
This program labeling you as an adware bundler, is the consumer's way of telling you they dont want adware. You always said not many people here complain. Well now you know why. People never tell you directly. They tell you in different ways. And this is how they are telling you.

quote:
Alot of people would pay for Messenger Plus!
But as Patchou said, not many people will pay for Addon's for another program...

Bundling adware and selling software arent the only methods to make enough money. Start looking around at other software packages how they make a living. There are hundreds of different ways to make enough money to keep developing and make enough money to have a nice life. Think outside the box.
by zaidgs on 01-07-2005 at 10:02 PM

tgnb, i agree with patchou: ur views are perfectionistic, not realistic as u think they are. this does not mean they are completely unrealistic, u do have a good point here. still popularity does count here, its like the "rules of the wild", honestly patchou cannot fight microsoft. i mean, if patchou attacks gives out a message saying: "watch out you have outlook express, this program is used to spy on your emails", as u said, ppl will figure the trick out, and dump patchou. on the other hand, if microsoft in its antipsyware says that messenger plus! installs adware, (assuming if this was untrue) ppl will dump patchou, and if they figure the trick out patchou's career will not return as it used to be because the customer base of patchou is much smaller than that of microsoft, which will force patchou to get out of buissiness quickly, but will make it near impossible to wipe out microsoft out of buissness...
see what i mean?!?!
in other words, big companies have the capability to suvive a small hoax untill the hoax is shown to be wrong. but a small company will get out of buissiness before a hoax is shown to be wrong. so its an unfair battle.

this whole paragraph does not mean that i think adware in plus! is a the best solution there is. and i agree that antispywares should warn about adware bundlers. someone who doesnt know that plus! bundles an optional adware, will want to know that. in general adware bundlers, hide the fact that they contain adware, but plus! does not, thats the positive thing to consider.

by saralk on 01-07-2005 at 10:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tgnb
Bundling adware and selling software arent the only methods to make enough money. Start looking around at other software packages how they make a living. There are hundreds of different ways to make enough money to keep developing and make enough money to have a nice life. Think outside the box.

a lot of people say this, but never give example. Patchou used to accept donations, but he only got something like $100 in the space of 1-2 years, that is hardly enough to make a living out of.
There are adverts on the site but people still complain about that. I guess if you become really big, people start to resent your success and will always complain no matter how hard you try
by zaidgs on 01-07-2005 at 10:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tgnb
It also detects WinPcap as spyware in that sense. WinPcap doesn't even bundle adware. Its 100% legitimate software. The reason it is classified as spyware is because its not a common tool an average user would have installed. It is a powerful tool that can "help" spyware do more damage.
they even detect RealVNC (a remote desktop utility), which is used just like microsoft's remote desktop.
they categorized it as: "commercial remote control", they say(not all of it):  if this application has been installed by yourself then it is safe. if you are not aware of this application being installed then remove it!
thats exactly the point: this program aims at making you aware of what is on your system, even if it was not actually a threat. i think this is good (thumbs-up to microsoft antispyware on that).

think of it like a firewall: it will even ask u if u want to allow internet explorer to connect to internet. if you want to allow msn messenger connect to internet... and so on, knowing what internet explorer is, and what msn messenger is u allow them to run. this is very redundant but nessary. same goes for this situation, if u install an EVEN REMOTELY hazarduous program, u have to make a concious decision to leav it there, so u will have to tell the program to "always ignore" it.

it does warn you whenever a program attaches itself to startup, changes an internet explorer setting, or registers itself as a service.
it told me when i installed norton antivirus that: norton antivirus tried to register itself as a service, and the action was allowed because the program is recognized to be safe.
thats just like the "auto configuration" option in norton personal firewall.
so, microsoft think of it as a tool to help customers make concious decisions about programs on their computers. (GOD i repeated this sentence three times :S)
by elreteipos on 01-08-2005 at 08:53 AM

maybe MS blocks MSG+ because it 'hacks' Messenger

by WDZ on 01-08-2005 at 08:59 AM

quote:
No, I don't think Microsoft has anything to do with it. They bought the software from Giant, and so far they haven't really changed anything.
by user27089 on 01-08-2005 at 09:59 AM

quote:

No it doesn't, I've tried it, it detects the installer as an adware bundler and thats it afaik, the other threat is c2.lop.com if you install it... which i have multiple times to prove a point :grin:...
by zaidgs on 01-08-2005 at 03:29 PM

quote:
patchou doesnt include any hack feature, all is legal in it :S
by dreaded on 01-08-2005 at 07:10 PM

Did giant antispyware detect it before ms got thier hands on it? If not it would make me wonder.

by Menthix on 01-08-2005 at 07:31 PM

quote:
Did giant antispyware detect it before ms got thier hands on it?
Yes.

BTW, Found the official way to contact Microsoft about issues with Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta.

Please everyone, report any bugs, false positives and problems to the newsgroups Microsoft has for this, here:
http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware

Like already said, this is still beta software. The more people report problems to Microsoft, the better the final version will be :).
by slang123 on 01-14-2005 at 01:08 AM

Is it just me that doesnt have a problem with this. If an antispyware didnt diagnose an installer with optional adware bundled with it as an adware bundler then i would be very worry. It emphasises the optional bit and suggests you ignore it, i dont know what more you could ask for

by Weyzza on 01-14-2005 at 01:12 AM

slang123, the problem is Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware detects Plus! as an adware installer although the user did not install the sponsor program.

It even detects all language files, which makes me think the program is "stupid."

by slang123 on 01-14-2005 at 01:16 AM

Ah, i see. sorry i thought it was diagnosing the installer exe.

by Athlon_2o0o on 01-17-2005 at 12:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by thekid
slang123, the problem is Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware detects Plus! as an adware installer although the user did not install the sponsor program.

It even detects all language files, which makes me think the program is "stupid."

Still, I agree with Microsoft's program. I already used GIANT which also asked me to remove messenger plus. I never did so, but now I realized why I even have this installed. Why would I support a program which installs nasty tools on your computer to try to spy on you? I know msgplus is totally clean, but this is just horrible I think. Patchou should think by himself what mess spyware can create on his customer's computers and consider removing the add-on.

1. No more detection by Microsoft AntiSpyware
2. Happier users.

Only: Less money. Try to get a deal with a safer product. Or copy other software creators. Look at Trillian: They made a paid and a free stripped version. That might be an excellent idea for messenger plus.
by Athlon_2o0o on 01-17-2005 at 12:37 AM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:

There is no doubt Ad-Aware and Spybot S&D are the best. They are free, they have a very good definition database and do their job well. I'm starting to like MS AntiSpyware too, but this beta works a bit slow and just for fast cleaning I like Ad-Aware more..

I disagree. Ad-Aware and Spybot are great, I use them regulary, but they miss the most important thing: Protection. First your computer gets screwed up, then you can remove spyware to fix it. Microsoft AntiSpyware does it's best to refuse spyware from becoming installed. That's the kind of action I'd like to see from Lavasoft and Spybot too.
by Hank on 01-17-2005 at 01:27 AM

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
click the link and read the page....

quote:
System Requirements:
Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Windows 2000 Professional Edition , Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Service Pack 2, Windows 2000 Service Pack 3, Windows 2000 Service Pack 4, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows XP Home Edition , Windows XP Media Center Edition, Windows XP Professional Edition , Windows XP Service Pack 1, Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
in other words, no....

i see what Microsoft are doing, Pushing people into Upgrading to Win2000 or WindowsXP ,
by ChrisTorng on 01-18-2005 at 01:39 AM

I think I can say, ALL people who knows msgplus is an "adware bundler" (the antispyware said) and knows how to avoid the adaware, then they won't install adware. And ALL people who install the adware, because they don't know msgplus is an adware bundler, and they wrongly click the "yes" option... Then they will try any thing they can do to remove the adware... even include msgplus itself... So ALL people who sponsors you by the adware, are angry with it... No one want to sponsor by this way... So you make money, from only those angry peoples. If all users knows how to avoid the adware, then you can't make money anymore, then this sponsor way is never work. Hope you can make money, by the way anyone satisfied, or at least not angry.

by Patchou on 01-18-2005 at 02:02 AM

I'd like to point out that when you chose toremove Messenger Plus! from the Microsoft antispyware program, you only remove Plus!, erasing the possibility to unisntall the sponsor properly so in a way, the only thing this anti-spyware software is doing is to remove my software for absolutely no reason (Messenger Plus! itself does not, in any circumstances, install ads) while leaving the ads behind.

by Blue Ice Dragon on 01-18-2005 at 04:17 AM

Uhm just my input here.

It seems to me that Microshit, (okay this program may finaly lift that saying) has made this program for newbies.  Remember not everyone has the same knowledge of computers.

Users need to remember that user's may actually want to have the program installed and select yes for the boundle to be installed.  The problem is, Microsoft can't tell the difference between a choicen "I want Sponsour" or if it was "I accept the agreement".

Microsoft therefore in my view, have done the right thing.  It's not like they recommend "removing" the program afterall.  They themeselfs say that this has optional software.  It isn't misleading in anway, and surprising I think I would buy this software......  well if I get the money.  :$

Well thats my two cents.

Edit:
If theres a problem with the "unistalling" isnt that a bug?  Which means someone (if they havent already) needs to report it?  Isn't that the best thing to do?

by Patchou on 01-18-2005 at 04:51 AM

well, once again,  have to point out something most of you didn't see because it happens only the first time Messenger Plus! is installed on someone's computer:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=363880]

... not very "friendly" wouldn't you say? and this happens without the sponsor being installed.

by user13774 on 01-18-2005 at 01:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Patchou
only the first time Messenger Plus! is installed

So not when upgrading you mean? Or when you uninstall and save settings?

Have you heard anything from MS yet? You (and/or Fraisie) contacted them right?
by zaidgs on 01-19-2005 at 12:20 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Athlon_2o0o
Look at Trillian: They made a paid and a free stripped version. That might be an excellent idea for messenger plus.
i hate to offence, but u really deserve 00100 on this suggestion!
quote:
Originally posted by Blue Ice Dragon
The problem is, Microsoft can't tell the difference between a choicen "I want Sponsour" or if it was "I accept the agreement".
they can if they want its not hard at all!! if they cannot then maybe their team is not qualified to produce an antispyware, but i think the case is that they nvr actually bothered themselves (at least GIANT, hopefully MS will) to examin the difference.
by Patchou on 01-19-2005 at 06:17 AM

of course they can, thesponsor itself is probably detect by Giant anyway (I haveto say I didn't tested it) sothere's noreason why it should be linked to Messenger Plus! itself. As for the other questions. I'm sorry but I can't give you answers yet, we'll see what happens in the near future.