Shoutbox

Website Planning and layout - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Website Planning and layout (/showthread.php?tid=36529)

Website Planning and layout by Dan0208 on 01-06-2005 at 12:44 PM

hey i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this.
I am mucking around with a website and wondered what it is called when navigating between pages the whole layout of the page remains but the content changes like it is in frames or something.
My question is how would i go about this? is it worth the trouble (does it dramatically reduce load times etc?) and can i do this within dreamweaver or something?
Thanks for your help and awaiting a reply
Daniel

RE: Website Planning and layout by CookieRevised on 01-06-2005 at 12:49 PM

it is called using frames :D

(although for some strange reasons, some people don't like it or call frames dodgy, although they are something very good to use in many many situations. I guess people call them dodgy because they are also often not used/implemented right)

Yes the load will dramatically reduce (because all the side images, menu's and stuff will not be loaded each time)

You can do it with dreamwaver too though...

RE: Website Planning and layout by RaceProUK on 01-06-2005 at 05:26 PM

Frames are only dodgy because they prevent the correct usage of bookmarks. That, and they can look really ugly if done wrong (which is very easy).
However, MSDN uses frames, and that has a professional feel, and ALL pages can be bookmarked properly too! So they can be done right.

RE: Website Planning and layout by CookieRevised on 01-09-2005 at 12:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
Frames are only dodgy because they prevent the correct usage of bookmarks. That, and they can look really ugly if done wrong (which is very easy).
They don't prevent it at all, they just make it a bit more difficult. (and nope, you don't even need fancy php for it to work, simple javascript will do)
quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
However, MSDN uses frames, and that has a professional feel, and ALL pages can be bookmarked properly too! So they can be done right.
exactly ;)

RE: Website Planning and layout by user27089 on 01-09-2005 at 12:40 PM

Dreamweaver doesn't support iframes very well, but you can use them nonetheless, you just have to do it in the html editor part...

RE: Website Planning and layout by CookieRevised on 01-10-2005 at 08:27 AM

iframes (internal frames) are something else then normal frames though. But just like frames, iframes are often misused (and used out of lazyness :p). iframes are also not quite as "compatible" as normal frames; not all browsers implement them in the same way...

RE: Website Planning and layout by Rubber Stamp on 01-10-2005 at 10:59 AM

can i get any tut regarding frames?

RE: Website Planning and layout by CookieRevised on 01-10-2005 at 01:14 PM

:google: search for it

* frames html
* frames html tutorial
* frames tutorial
* etc...