Shoutbox

what do you think? - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: what do you think? (/showthread.php?tid=36595)

what do you think? by saralk on 01-07-2005 at 08:09 PM

Im working on a website called a million smiles.

The basic idea is that you upload an image and it is stored on the server, then people can upload another image, and a collage of that image is created from images other people have submitted.

What do you think.

So far I have finished one of the two hardest bits - a script to work out the average colour of an image.

RE: what do you think? by Barto on 01-07-2005 at 08:12 PM

I think its a nice idea, I'll love it to see it finished.

RE: what do you think? by John Anderton on 01-07-2005 at 08:14 PM

Good idea. Would love 2 see it. Inform us when its complete :D

RE: what do you think? by user27089 on 01-07-2005 at 08:15 PM

It sounds pretty cool to me, I can't wait to see the final product, it sounds really tinteresting tbh :p...

[edit]but as you told me, it edits the last person image, surely that image has already been edited to the persons mosaic previous to that, it would make no sence, because it would just be putting a picture a picture, and would get messed up, with lots of different parts of peoples faces? am I correct?

RE: what do you think? by saralk on 01-07-2005 at 08:18 PM

the output image would look like this...

http://www.whimsy.freeserve.co.uk/goldpix/mosaic-esteban-zia.jpg

RE: what do you think? by user27089 on 01-07-2005 at 08:20 PM

thats cool, i'm intrigued to learn more about such a project, I can't see how its very possible without months of coding...

RE: what do you think? by leito on 01-07-2005 at 08:23 PM

Looks great, so... you take the average color of every picture that is uploaded. Then you get the average color of a segment in a new uploaded picture, and put there an image with the same average color. You that with all "segments" in picture, and that's the result? Good Idea.

RE: what do you think? by saralk on 01-07-2005 at 08:23 PM

at the moment it isnt too hard.

the easy parts are the basic every day things like creating an upload script, and storing in databases.

The hard bits are working out the average colour of the image uploaded (done) and working out the average colour of 20x20 tiles, then finding a match from the database.

Also this will need a lot of server resources, so i will need to find some way of generating finance for a server. And then once ive done that, I need to find a way of generating money to keep the server alive.

RE: what do you think? by leito on 01-07-2005 at 08:29 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
Also this will need a lot of server resources, so i will need to find some way of generating finance for a server. And then once ive done that, I need to find a way of generating money to keep the server alive.

You should try... I don't know.. to sell 20x20 advertisments. Well you place  20x20 banners in the database, that match some color, that way.. when a new image is generated, there will be publicity in the collage....
RE: what do you think? by WDZ on 01-07-2005 at 08:32 PM

Sounds like you'll have to divide the base image into blocks and apply your "average color" script to each one, because if you "duplicated" the base image pixel-by-pixel, the output image would have to be huge in order to see the detail of each of the small images that create the mosiac. :-/

And how will you find which images already on the server are the closest match to the color you need?

And what if the base image has a large area of the same color? Will the same small image be used for the whole area?

Will the output be a single image with all the small images imagecopy()ed into it?

IMO, the average color script doesn't sound like "one of the two hardest bits" :p

RE: what do you think? by saralk on 01-07-2005 at 08:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by leito.gt
You should try... I don't know.. to sell 20x20 advertisments. Well you place  20x20 banners in the database, that match some color, that way.. when a new image is generated, there will be publicity in the collage....

im not sure how well an ad spot that is this big [Image: minit.jpg] would sell

edit: wdz, im getting round to answering your question :p
RE: what do you think? by leito on 01-07-2005 at 08:37 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
im not sure how well an ad spot that is this big would sell

I'll pay like $0.5 for that! :P (Per year! 8-))

WDZ is right, but you'll solve all that trouble.
RE: RE: what do you think? by saralk on 01-07-2005 at 08:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
Sounds like you'll have to divide the base image into blocks and apply your "average color" script to each one, because if you "duplicated" the base image pixel-by-pixel, the output image would have to be huge in order to see the detail of each of the small images that create the mosiac. :-/

thats what i am planning on doing.

quote:
And how will you find which images already on the server are the closest match to the color you need?

well the average red number, green number and blue number is stored in a database for each 20x20 image, then the average r,g and b for each 20x20 tile in the base image is worked out, and there will be a tolerence (say 20 either way) to find an image which is roughly the same.

quote:
And what if the base image has a large area of the same color? Will the same small image be used for the whole area?

im trying to work that one out, im thinking of some way to store which images have been used, already.

quote:
Will the output be a single image with all the small images imagecopy()ed into it?

no that will take up too much server time, im planning on having each 20x20 image lined up against each other as a html file, the 20x20 image i used to test the script out is half a kilobyte, so it shouldnt make the page size too big.