Shoutbox

Way to find out if someone is... - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Skype & Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+----- Thread: Way to find out if someone is... (/showthread.php?tid=36624)

Way to find out if someone is... by Purity on 01-08-2005 at 06:01 AM

I need to know if there is a way to know if someone is on the same computer with someone, like lets say, Brent was online, and i was tlakign to Kyle, i would wannak now if they are on hte same computer, n e way to know?

RE: Way to find out if someone is... by Choli on 01-08-2005 at 12:58 PM

Nope, you can't.

RE: Way to find out if someone is... by Anubis on 01-08-2005 at 01:08 PM

There's ways you can kind of check if two people are on the same computer.
Do the following;
Start > Run > cmd > OK > netstat -n > return
Make a list of all addresses there, then send a file to two suspects, make sure they have both accepted and that the file is sending to both when you do this
Start > Run > cmd > OK > netstat -n > return
Two new addresses should pop up this time, if they are the same, it could indicate they are using the same computer, chances are if they are different they aren't using the same computer...but things that can go wrong with this (and it's very likely it will) are things like new addresses popping up when your computer opens a connection with another computer (like a download on a P2P client), you making a mistake in looking at the connections, files being sent over the server or different connection settings, or even the obvious fact that two people can sometimes have the same IP address...
This should never be concrete evidence...I understand what I said may not be totally clear, if you need help with any bit (or all :p) just ask.

Edit: And the obvious solution of just asking them, and assume they are telling the truth

RE: Way to find out if someone is... by Choli on 01-08-2005 at 01:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
if they are the same, it could indicate they are using the same computer
exactly. they can be the same, but that can also mean that they're behind the same router but in different computers.
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
if they are different they aren't using the same computer...
nope. They can be using the same computer but have different IPs shown in netstat. If that computer has all ports closed, it'll send/receive the file through the sever, and each messenger may eventually be connected to different servers, so that will result in different IPs addresses.

In sort:
quote:
Originally posted by Choli
Nope, you can't.
:)