Shoutbox

Storms around the U.K. + other places - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: General Chit Chat (/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+----- Thread: Storms around the U.K. + other places (/showthread.php?tid=36642)

Storms around the U.K. + other places by _Humphreys on 01-08-2005 at 03:00 PM

Saturday day
Severe gales easing down slowly but staying windy, gales continuing in north. Rain, sleet and snow in north clearing eastwards, all areas then sunny spells, but with wintry showers in the northwest.

Saturday night
Winds continuing to ease down. Showers at first, wintry on hills in the north, then cloud and patchy rain spreading to some western parts.

Last Updated: 4:35 8/1/2005

Sunday
Rain spreading to the west in the morning then central and eastern parts in the afternoon, some heavy and prolonged especially in the west. Becoming windy with gales later especially in the west.

Monday
Continuing windy and very changeable. Longer spells of rain in places at first clearing east then sunny spells. Showers spreading across the north, some heavy, but many southern and eastern parts becoming dry.

8-)
RE: Storms around Britan. by Sunshine on 01-08-2005 at 03:08 PM

I'm not from the U.K. but:

It's stormey (south west, windforce approx.10) outhere in The Netherlands aswell. Sideflap of a truck blew open and the load spread all over the highway..aluminum roofplates were blown off..planes can hardly land or take off..our fencedoor blew open aswell, but we fixed it real soon :D

RE: Storms around U.K. by saralk on 01-08-2005 at 03:13 PM

the winds out here are immense, in the rooms without double glazing, you can actually feel the wind coming into the room through gaps in the window. My room is one of them, the door keeps rattling (i cant close it cos there is a network cable in the way)

RE: Storms around U.K. by x2zen on 01-08-2005 at 03:20 PM

The storm has now arrived to Denmark, with the speed of 40 m/s (meters per second).
1 has been killed so far.

RE: Storms around the U.K. + other places by toddy on 01-08-2005 at 03:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by A. Madsen
40 m/s

you sure u mean 40 ??? that sounds way to fast
RE: Storms around the U.K. + other places by x2zen on 01-08-2005 at 03:25 PM

quote:
Originally posted by toddy

Og yea, i'm sure. Some places here in Denmark its 32 m/s, but other places its 40

RE: Storms around the U.K. + other places by andrey on 01-08-2005 at 03:50 PM

32 m/s = 115 km/h = 72 mph
40 m/s = 144 km/h = 89 mph

:o

45 km/h here...

RE: Storms around the U.K. + other places by x2zen on 01-08-2005 at 04:28 PM

3 people is now dead here in Denmark.

Anyone remember the big storm on the 3rd of december 1999?, there were the wind over 42 m/s

RE: Storms around the U.K. + other places by user35870 on 01-08-2005 at 04:35 PM

it was really bad over here last night in  Northern ireland
signs and all blew down

RE: Storms around the U.K. + other places by .blade// on 01-08-2005 at 04:45 PM

It's been bad here too. We had a 40 car pile-up on the main highway to Vancouver (The Kokahala highway), and a lot of other crashes around town becasue of the snow. People here don't seem to have any winter driving skills so they drive like it's summer AND it's a drag strip and hope for the best :P

RE: Storms around the U.K. + other places by John Anderton on 01-08-2005 at 05:17 PM

Here the weather's fine. 22 degrees and 5 kmph NW winds.
Thats from firefox's weather service. Too cool. Have it embedded in bookmarks bar. But newayz. Here its fine. Hope ya'll livin there wont be blown off or anthing (all puns intended if anyone can find them :dodgy:)

RE: Storms around the U.K. + other places by Anubis on 01-08-2005 at 05:22 PM

Well, I live very near rvd143\Attitude\Carltos Cool or w\e his name is now...
And I was surprised how well I managed to sleep through the winds, I kept waking up now and again, but tbh I didn't know how bad it was until I noticed half the fence had fallen over early in the morning...
Tonight has been said not to be as bad...there's similar threads on the internet already;
http://www.gamingupdate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15242

RE: Storms around the U.K. + other places by xpirdwingz on 01-08-2005 at 06:19 PM

I couldn't sleep much last night, I was quite scared for the window might crash in or something..didn't get out of bed until 11am :D

RE: Storms around the U.K. + other places by Weyzza on 01-08-2005 at 06:30 PM

quote:
quote:
40 m/s

quote:
quote:

Og yea, i'm sure. Some places here in Denmark its 32 m/s, but other places its 40
I think those numbers are in km/h.
quote:
Originally posted by AndreY
32 m/s = 115 km/h = 72 mph
40 m/s = 144 km/h = 89 mph

If that's true, that's more than just a hurricane lol

RE: Storms around the U.K. + other places by Vilkku on 01-08-2005 at 07:19 PM

It's on it's way here tight now. The water level has already increased by a meter or more and it's raining. They don't expect that hard winds, only around 25-30 m/s. Let's hope that the power doesn't go, we were without power 12 hours the day before christmas.

RE: Storms around the U.K. + other places by Vazza on 01-08-2005 at 07:30 PM

Flooding in Inverness, Stirling and Callender. Parents phoned me to make sur nothing had happened to me (they live west of scotland, I'm studying North East scotland. Winds were bad the last few nights. Wind's getting rather cold so wouldn't be surprised if snow appeared.

* Vazza hopes not since she has exams

North sea looking rather rough as well. I'll start worrying when the ferries start floating down the street

RE: Storms around the U.K. + other places by ayjay on 01-08-2005 at 07:37 PM

:lol:

I had 3 fences down and several tiles off the roof. I couldn't sleep at all last night. It's scary [Image: hide.gif] lol

RE: Storms around the U.K. + other places by _Humphreys on 01-08-2005 at 08:48 PM

The funny thing is when this was all going on I slept right through it till 10 o' clock. :P

RE: Storms around the U.K. + other places by FrozernFire on 01-09-2005 at 08:58 AM

not that bad here... only some showers and a few storms

RE: Storms around the U.K. + other places by M73A on 01-09-2005 at 10:27 AM

twas up to 90 mph in scotland.

3 people have died in carlisle - http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13279916,00.html

not in either of dem places but owel. fort it fit the thread.....

RE: Storms around the U.K. + other places by user27089 on 01-09-2005 at 12:06 PM

It was really bad here, but as we're like in the central of england, it wasn't excessively bad, it was just a little bit over the top, no fences or anything blew over at my house or anything... I think that there was probably some around my village, I could hardly sleep the other nite, it was quite terrifying how powerful the wind was, it was making the windows go all messed up, and they're double-glazed :s...