Shoutbox

My fun time building my new PC - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: My fun time building my new PC (/showthread.php?tid=36686)

My fun time building my new PC by .blade// on 01-09-2005 at 02:23 AM

Ok, after waiting 2 weeks to get my computer parts I finally got them yesterday. I was a little ticked off that it took so long but I was like "Ok, w/e, I'm going to build the computer and let it go." (NCIX stated the parts would take 2-3 days to arrive).

I come home, unwrap my parcel and start assembling my new computer. I get everything done (CPU in place, heatsink on top, HDD + DVD drive in place and connected, PS hooked up, PCI cards inserted, etc.) then I hit a snag - wrong type of ram. No big deal, I head over to my local Futureshop and pick up a 512mb stick to tither me over until I can afford more.  I get home, yet again, and stick the RAM in. I hook up a keyboard, mouse and monitor + start the computer. Fans power up, LEDs go on, everything APPEARS to run, but no image on the screen - just a 'No Signal' message. I tinker around for about an hour then decide to hook up speakers. I get an audible error "System Failed due to CPU overclocking" which isn't possible because this is first boot. I get pissed off. I take apart everything and for about 5 hours try to get it started. Same thing every time. I give up and go on my old PC to search google. I find out that this is a known deffect in some ASUS motherboards that ASUS isn't willing to admit and my RAM has to be moved into the third slot to work. I do this and voila, fixed.

ASUS can expect my complaint in letter and via the phone on Monday :dodgy:.

[Image: attachment.php?pid=358716]

RE: My fun time building my new PC by Titty on 01-09-2005 at 02:30 AM

God, that's horrible.

I bet you lost five pounds removing and installing all your pc parts.

I'm scared to touch my computer anymore.
Everytime I did it, I always had problems like you did.
But I cried about it and screamed. :\

I'm glad you have ram and a working pc. :]

RE: My fun time building my new PC by marissa on 01-09-2005 at 02:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Titty
But I cried about it and screamed. :\

haha, me too, me too. It drives me crazy.

Anyways Blade, that must have sucked, maybe a litle research wouldnt hurt before puchasing things next time. At least you got it to work :)
RE: My fun time building my new PC by .blade// on 01-09-2005 at 02:37 AM

quote:
Originally posted by marissa
maybe a litle research wouldnt hurt before puchasing things next time. At least you got it to work :)

I spent a week researching these products. The deffect is not admitted by ASUS and I only found out about it by looking at a forum post on a dif. forum after entering "System Failed due to CPU overclocking" in google.
RE: My fun time building my new PC by Hank on 01-09-2005 at 03:17 AM

thanx for that info blade, in future i wont touch anything Asus, had 1 Asus Board when i had a 700Mhz AMD Cpu, the Audio Connector on the Board shatitself which blew up my speakers ( just aswell they were cheapo's) i now use Gigabyte Boards, Never fail,

RE: My fun time building my new PC by f1d0d1d08989 on 01-09-2005 at 03:23 AM

Asus. Oh god. Their customer service here suxs. I got their motherboard once, and it failed right in my face after 3 days of running. Went to their customer service, and what they told me? We do not allow repairs for motherboards that has a known defect. Its your problem if you didnt check before buying. :@ Wasted $300+...

RE: My fun time building my new PC by surfichris on 01-09-2005 at 07:19 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blade

Ok, after waiting 2 weeks to get my computer parts I finally got them yesterday. I was a little ticked off that it took so long but I was like "Ok, w/e, I'm going to build the computer and let it go." (NCIX stated the parts would take 2-3 days to arrive).
You think thats bad?
quote:
Your order #35946 was placed on the 18/12/2004
Got an email on 22/12/2004 saying that they no longer stock one item and what did I want as a replacement, i replied within an hour.

9/1/2004 and still haven't received anything as it is still "waiting" on stock to arrive.

You'll see an upcoming post on my site about it.
quote:
Originally posted by f1d0d1d08989
Asus. Oh god. Their customer service here suxs. I got their motherboard once, and it failed right in my face after 3 days of running. Went to their customer service, and what they told me? We do not allow repairs for motherboards that has a known defect. Its your problem if you didnt check before buying. Wasted $300+...
They were correct and that is how it is done. It is not their problem directly that your motherboard doesn't work and they would not accept it back. Follow the correct RA (Return Authority) procedure next time that your dealer has in place. You return it to them, they give you a replacement then they send it to Asus. Your 12 month warranty covers the RA. Therefore, they were right in what they said.
RE: My fun time building my new PC by John Anderton on 01-09-2005 at 07:20 AM

I really am scared of touching the insides of my pc but still do it but am really careful. I'm not that careful even when i'm writting my exams :D

RE: My fun time building my new PC by f1d0d1d08989 on 01-09-2005 at 07:47 AM

Oh okay. But well, it was a something like one and a half years ago. So, I cant get that back anymore. Now, its still sitting at my storeroom...:'(

RE: My fun time building my new PC by saralk on 01-09-2005 at 11:34 AM

since were going on about PC buidling horror stories, i got a PCTV card for a present once, "cool" i thaught, installed it, ran fine for a few days, but when i installed it i didnt have any screws so I just left it to balance there, one day it snapped out of the PCI port and crashed down breaking my network card, and sound card in its wake.

For six months i had to live with no sound, no xbox live, and no PCTV :(

RE: My fun time building my new PC by user27089 on 01-09-2005 at 11:54 AM

Thats really bad :s... I hope I don't hit any snags when I begin to build my pc after I've saved enough :(...

I'm glad that you actually got it working, if you didn't, you would've had to wait ages to find out why... why can't ASUS just admit to this problem with their motherboards?

RE: My fun time building my new PC by Hank on 01-09-2005 at 12:00 PM

im not 100% sure but i dont think its an ASUS Problem,  sre its there Motherboard but where is the defect on the Motherboard? whoever made that chip or whatever to go on the motherboard its the responsibility of there defect not ASUS, so u cant really Blame asus, all u can do is as Chris has said return the Motherboard an change it for another one but do research on the motherboard b4 you purchase it

RE: My fun time building my new PC by .blade// on 01-09-2005 at 05:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Demandred
im not 100% sure but i dont think its an ASUS Problem,  sre its there Motherboard but where is the defect on the Motherboard? whoever made that chip or whatever to go on the motherboard its the responsibility of there defect not ASUS, so u cant really Blame asus, all u can do is as Chris has said return the Motherboard an change it for another one but do research on the motherboard b4 you purchase it

Um, dude, it IS the motherboard. Other people have had this happen (a lot of other people :-/)
RE: My fun time building my new PC by lopardo on 01-09-2005 at 05:26 PM

BTW Blade, what are your new computer's specs and what model is that motherboard? I want to buy a new PC with an Asus motherboard (with PCI Express) and an Intel Pentium 4 3 GHz HT 1 MB cache 800 MHz FSB. Only thing I need is the money :P :(

RE: My fun time building my new PC by .blade// on 01-09-2005 at 05:49 PM

You can't stick a P4 on an Athlon 64 mobo :p

RE: My fun time building my new PC by lopardo on 01-09-2005 at 05:55 PM

quote:
You can't stick a P4 on an Athlon 64 mobo :p
I know... :dodgy: I was just asking :P and you didn't answer what are your system specs :P
RE: My fun time building my new PC by .blade// on 01-09-2005 at 06:01 PM

Asus A8V Deluxe Motherboard
I have an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ 2.2 Ghz at 2.5 Ghz
512mb DDR RAM (will upgrade to 2GB when I get more money)
120GB HDD
DVD +/- R/RW
:dodgy: 64 mb GeForce 2 MX video card :dodgy: (will upgrade in 2 weeks to a 256mb one).

RE: My fun time building my new PC by DJeX on 01-09-2005 at 09:29 PM

:lol: Mine dident do that. I got the Asus K8V SE Deluxe Motherboard with 2 sticks of Ultra 512mb ram.

RE: My fun time building my new PC by Hank on 01-10-2005 at 12:05 AM

quote:
Asus A8V Deluxe Motherboard

Have heard those Boards are Crappy, 2 Boards i will never touch, Epox an Asus,
RE: My fun time building my new PC by .blade// on 01-10-2005 at 12:16 AM

In all the reviews I read it got 90% to 98%. And ASUS is over-all prety good. After my RAM problem I haven't had ANY issues with it.

RE: My fun time building my new PC by surfichris on 01-10-2005 at 12:28 AM

The RAM problem is partially a bios problem too. It only happens on certain combinations of RAM too - which brand and which speed to you buy?

RE: My fun time building my new PC by .blade// on 01-10-2005 at 02:03 AM

Kingston 512MB 184-Pin PC400 DDR Memory at 400MHz