Shoutbox

MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: WLM Plus! General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+----- Thread: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! (/showthread.php?tid=36716)

MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by LaRonde20 on 01-09-2005 at 03:20 PM

Hello,
I recently downloaded MSG Plus! and used it for a while! After, I downloaded Microsoft AntiSpyware (found on www.microsoft.com)! Anywais, I did NOT donwload the MySearchBar that can be downloaded with MSG Plus! Also, I found that my "Information" is being sent over the internet every time I login!

Here is an image for proof:
[Image: MSGPlus!-Spyware.JPG]
Sorry for Bad image quality! Also, if the Spyware were from the MySearchBar, the Spyware would come up as: MySearchBar!

Do NOT download the MSG Plus! software. Spyware and Adware come with this program! Also, if you have already downloaded this program, Remove  it by going in to the Control Panel on your PC, and open Add/Remove Programs! Find MSG Plus! and remove it! After, CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD!

If you cannot see the image, I put it as an attachment also!

Thank you!

RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by TheBlasphemer on 01-09-2005 at 03:22 PM

In the description, do you see that capitalized word "OPTIONAL" ?

RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by LaRonde20 on 01-09-2005 at 03:23 PM

They put OPTIONAL in capitals to make it Sarcastic! I contacted them about that!

RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by surfichris on 01-09-2005 at 03:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by LaRonde20
They put OPTIONAL in capitals to make it Sarcastic! I contacted them about that!
:rolleyes:

The sponsor/MySearch bar in Messenger Plus! is optional and you agreed to install it.

Please search the form first before jumping to conclusions. If you looked you would find your answer on removing it here: http://shoutbox.menthix.net/showthread.php?tid=21598
RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by LaRonde20 on 01-09-2005 at 03:29 PM

OMG! In the discription, I even said that I DID NOT install it! I already know that MySearchBar contains Spyware, so I did not install it!

RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by surfichris on 01-09-2005 at 03:31 PM

Messenger Plus! however is still listed Microsoft Antispyware even if you did not install the MySearch/sponsor package.

If you don't have the search bars then you are completely safe and no sponsor package or spyware/adware has been installed on your machine with Messenger Plus!.

Patchou, I believe, is in contact with Microsoft so that Messenger Plus! is only really listed of the sponsor package is installed, or even not showing it as Messenger Plus! but directly showing it as MySearch/Lop.

RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by bmtaylor on 01-09-2005 at 03:33 PM

For crying out loud LaRonde20, check the link that Chris Boulton has offered to you.

Second, THERE IS NO CHANCE OF ANYTHING BEING INSTALLED EXCEPT MSGPLUS IF YOU SELECT NO ON THE SPONSOR INSTALL WINDOW. I KNOW BECAUSE I HAVE DONE IT MYSELF!

[Caps lock on for "sarcastic" value]

RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by LaRonde20 on 01-09-2005 at 03:35 PM

I am aware of this! Altho, Microsoft has Classified Messenger Plus! as Spyware because it DOES contain Spyware without the Toolbar! I have tested it with: Spybot, Ad-Aware AND Microsoft AntiSpyware. Also, I found out that my information is being sent out over the internet to unkown.

RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by surfichris on 01-09-2005 at 03:37 PM

Plus! doesn't install any other spyware/adware other than the toolbar and it only installs that if you allow it to.

I have Plus! installed on all of my machines along with Adaware and Spybot Search and Destroy and none of them detect anything.

If you tell us what they are detecting, and provide screenshots then we can provide you with further help.

RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by LaRonde20 on 01-09-2005 at 03:38 PM

Update your definitions!

RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by Menthix on 01-09-2005 at 03:39 PM

Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta will always detect Messenger Plus! as spyware, even when you don't install the sponsor. It's not true that Messenger Plus! installs spyware when you choose not to install the sponsor. This is a known problem in Microsoft Antispyware as well as in Gian't AnitSpyware (which Microsoft bought).

Listing Messenger Plus! as spyware when the sponsor wasn't installed is false, i tried to contact Microsoft about it and am still waiting for their reply. There are also a few topic about it here:
Microsoft's Anti-spyware Software...
Microsoft® Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
MS Antispyware says Messenger Plus is adware
Microsoft ANtiSpyware Beta1 - False detections (not only Plus!)

The data Messenger Plus! sends over the internet are just statics, like which features you use and which version you use. Every of those statics are just numbers, there is no way Messenger Plus! sends private data like name/emailadress/sites your visit or even your password.  You can turn of this in the preferences btw.

I suggest to scan your system with another program, AdAware is a well trusted software and has a free version. See if AdAware detects Messenger Plus! as spyware too.

RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by surfichris on 01-09-2005 at 03:40 PM

They're up to date as of ~2 hours ago when they were scheduled to update and yet they do not detect anything - not one bit of adware and spyware on my machine.

Where are these screenshots?

Also i've removed your avatar because it was way too large for the forums.

RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by LaRonde20 on 01-09-2005 at 03:45 PM

Tell me something, why do you use such a horible sponsor?

RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by surfichris on 01-09-2005 at 03:51 PM

quote:
Altho, I not for KaZaA, its a kewl logo! Dobnt download KaZaA, get KaZaA Lite
Can you stay on topic? Or do you not have proof that "Messenger Plus! has spyware that isnt optional".

I've deleted your spam posts, such as the one I quoted above. Continue to spam and you'll be banned.

Messenger Plus! uses Lop/MySearchNow because it is the sponsor package Patchou chose and they have allowed him to strip it down a lot so it isn't as harsh as it initially was.
RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by user27089 on 01-09-2005 at 03:55 PM

quote:
Tell me something, why do you use such a horible sponsor?

Its not a bad sponsor at all, adds a few desktop icons and a toolbar to IE, I've installed it multiple times with no problems of removal...

If you can read LaRonde, you can read that it says it is an adware bundler, which means that it has adware in the installer, but it is OPTIONAL, which it is, its not saying that the installer is adware, its saying that if you install the software in it, it is adware, its nothing but adware, anything but SPYWARE... don't be so arrogant okay... try and listen to others, I doubt that you contacted microsoft tbh, because they didn't even put in the definitions etc. GREAT did, the people who have created a partnership for this piece of software...
RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by LaRonde20 on 01-09-2005 at 03:56 PM

READ THE EDITORS NOTES OF THIS SITE! I just went live chat with the staff or Download.com, and said that its NOT with the Optional Toolbar!

http://www.download.com/Messenger-Plus/3000-2150_...2.html?tag=lst-0-7

Also, you can read users coments at this site:

http://www.download.com/3302-2150_4-10320442.html

RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by user27089 on 01-09-2005 at 04:00 PM

Excuse me, but a lot of what people say on such sites is a biased opinion, i'm not being modest or anything, but I'm sure that we know a great deal more about the bundled adware in the installer than other people, we know the background, whether or not you believe what we say is up to you, but I urge you to reconsider your opinion...

Yes, MSGPlus! has bundled adware in it, but it doesn't install unless you want it to, we have methods of removal, we are helping people uninstall it daily, and then you can reinstall, without the sponsor, no hastle...

btw, i doubt microsoft would put the definition there sarcastically, it would be completely unprofessional IMO.

RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by LaRonde20 on 01-09-2005 at 04:02 PM

Well, ask Microsoft yourself! I know I did!

RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by surfichris on 01-09-2005 at 04:04 PM

Once again I remind you not to spam or double post. There is this lovely button called: [Image: edit.gif] which will allow you to edit your posts after you have posted them.

You're also making up excuses for what we've already covered. The sponsor package you elected to install (which you say you didnt) is completely optional. Plus! will not install anything if you say NO. This is how it has been, this is how it will be.

traxor is right, the peoples opinions on Cnet/downloads.com are incorrect as they havent paid any attention themselves when installing Plus! and mistook the sponsor agreement for a license agreement for Plus!, meaning they installed the sponsor. They refuse to hold themselves accountable for their actions.

I'm still waiting on those screenshots of detections by Spybot and Adaware, oh, thats right, you were bluffing?

quote:

It isn't Microsoft who added Plus! to the definitions. It has been there since they bought the software of GIANT. Also it is not a sarcastic remark, it states that it is optional - the end. If you did email Microsoft like you said (once again, i guess you're lying) they would definately not have replied with the OPTIONAL being a sarcastic remark.

That is completely unprofessional of them, and they wouldn't do it - not to mention GIANT has called Plus! spyware since the beginning and Microsoft had nothing to do with it being detected.
RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by Menthix on 01-09-2005 at 04:22 PM

quote:
I just went live chat with the staff or Download.com, and said that its NOT with the Optional Toolbar!
Where did you had a live chat with download.com staff? And who said "its NOT with the Optional Toolbar!" and what did he/she mean with it?

quote:
So did i, didn't had reply yet. Could you tell me in which way you contacted Microsoft because i would like to hear from them aswell.

I like to clear things up for you, but you must be willing to listen and take some time to read what people are saying here, please.
RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by Patchou on 01-09-2005 at 05:18 PM

Note to other people who would read this thread: this is the exact proof of what I was saying yesterday in another thread: people don't make the difference between "adware bundler" and "spyware" nor they want to read the description of something their anti-spyware software found. The only thing that pops in their mind is: "I'm infected!". That's exactly why software such as Giant should not do what they are already doing.

RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by user27089 on 01-09-2005 at 05:21 PM

I agree patchou, people need to broaden their mind and listen to other people rather than thinking of themselves so much :-/.

RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by Cartel on 01-09-2005 at 06:58 PM

My AVG says:Download trojan when i use the sponser, a couple of smileys arent worth my computer heath.

RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by Patchou on 01-09-2005 at 07:06 PM

Messenger Plus! does not add a "couple of smileys" to Messenger, you must be mistaken with Smiley Central. As for Plus!, you have the choice of installing the sponsor or not during installation.

RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by cooldude_i06 on 01-09-2005 at 07:23 PM

instead of trying to explain to these ignorent people the difference between optional adaware and spyware, i say just ban them and save ourselves from headaches.

RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by M73A on 01-09-2005 at 07:31 PM

why cant people understand its optional?!?!?! threads like this  get annoying when its ppl finkin that acceptin the OPTIONAL adaware is a license agreement. jus read the hole thread.....where are these pics showing adaware and other spyware scanners. they havent sed nefin bout my msgplus so far.

seems as if LaRonde20 is stating b.s. bout msgplus but not liking the replies from the people on the forum who know what they are actually talking about?!

RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by Plik on 01-09-2005 at 07:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cooldude_i06
instead of trying to explain to these ignorent people the difference between optional adaware and spyware, i say just ban them and save ourselves from headaches.
That wouldnt do much for messenger plus reputation would it.
RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by riahc4 on 01-09-2005 at 09:12 PM

Well it seems the thread maker doesnt come back anymore

but just in case

http://www.msgplus.net/getthefacts.php

read it

RE: MSG Plus! With Spyware - Without Toolbar!! by segosa on 01-09-2005 at 09:16 PM

When the user will not listen to anyone and only believes what he thinks is the truth it is NOT worth explaining what has already been given to him. If he will not read/experiment then there is no point.