Shoutbox

USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! (/showthread.php?tid=36758)

USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Purity on 01-10-2005 at 03:30 AM

K, i have a sliight problem, I am trying to prove to Chris Boulton that I do indeed have a p4 64 bit.  But my fuckin cameras wont work, like, the USB ports are liek disabled! can someone help?

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by .blade// on 01-10-2005 at 03:35 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Skin Ticket
K, i have a sliight problem, I am trying to prove to Chris Boulton that I do indeed have a p4 64 bit.  But my fuckin cameras wont work, like, the USB ports are liek disabled! can someone help?

Did you build it yourself?

And why is it so hard to believe you have an Athlon 64? I have one too 8-).
RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by surfichris on 01-10-2005 at 03:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by blade
And why is it so hard to believe you have an Athlon 64? I have one too .
He said Intel Pentium 4, 64bit..
RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by .blade// on 01-10-2005 at 03:44 AM

:lol: Doesn't exist. The Intel Pentium 4 is strictly 32-bit. Now if you had an Intel Xeon.....

Just right click "My Computer", go to "Properties" and look there. It will tell you if you have a Pentium 4. If you do, it's 32-bit. It may be a fast 32-bit, but it's still a 32-bit :-/.

The only processor offered to the public in 64-bit are the AMD Athlon 64 and the AMD Opteron (which is basically a server processor). The Intel Pentium 5 will prob. be a 64-bit processor though...

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Purity on 01-10-2005 at 03:46 AM

WTF!! says on hte box that it is AMD and Intel approved and shows their logos as : AMD 64 Opteron and the intel one is intel inside pentium 4 and on the side of the intel logo is says 'extreme edition'

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by .blade// on 01-10-2005 at 03:47 AM

quote:
WTF!! says on hte box that it is AMD and Intel approved and shows their logos as : AMD 64 Opteron and the intel one is intel inside pentium 4 and on the side of the intel logo is says 'extreme edition'

Is that the motherboard, the tower or the processor box? :-/
RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Purity on 01-10-2005 at 03:50 AM

quote:
quote:

Is that the motherboard, the tower or the processor box? :-/
The box that the coputer came in.  Didn't eve have to put n e thing together
RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by surfichris on 01-10-2005 at 03:52 AM

"AMD 64 Opteron" that is for the AMD CPU, you can obviously get your same machine in either the AMD Opteron make or an intel make. The intel make is only 32bit, I can guarantee you that..

See blade? :p

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Purity on 01-10-2005 at 03:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Boulton
"AMD 64 Opteron" that is for the AMD CPU, you can obviously get your same machine in either the AMD Opteron make or an intel make. The intel make is only 32bit, I can guarantee you that..

See blade? :p
Shit! Well how much does a 64bit cost in canada?

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by .blade// on 01-10-2005 at 04:00 AM

JUST the 3500+ processor was $380 (I got it on sale for less though). If you want to buy a pre-built 64-bit machine you've gotta go Alienware or VooDoo bcz ppl like DELL don't sell 64-bit machines yet.

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Purity on 01-10-2005 at 04:02 AM

Ummm...wow, thats alot of money. Ill buy one. :D
Now can we get thsi issue with the USB ports figured out?

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by .blade// on 01-10-2005 at 04:03 AM

quote:
Ummm...wow, thats alot of money. Ill buy one. :D

Do you know how to build a PC? :-/
RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Purity on 01-10-2005 at 04:07 AM

Learning how kinda, everything is kinda colour coded and stuff, it's pretty easy, watched friends make one, one time.

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by .blade// on 01-10-2005 at 04:10 AM

quote:
Learning how kinda, everything is kinda colour coded and stuff, it's pretty easy, watched friends make one, one time.

:lol:
It's not colour coded :P The keyboard/mouse/etc are colour coded, but to build a PC from scratch at your level would be suicide :lol:

Rather take a course on how to build one or stick to pre-assembled computers :p

(FYI I run a computer building company if you're interested and I can build custom machine :P.)

It's great if you know HOW to build a PC, but if you think the stuff is colour coded then boy are you in for a bad surprise :P $10 says you'd fry your CPU before you stuck it in the socket. :P
RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Purity on 01-10-2005 at 04:12 AM

quote:
quote:

:lol:
It's not colour coded :P The keyboard/mouse/etc are colour coded, but to build a PC from scratch at your level would be suicide :lol:

Rather take a course on how to build one or stick to pre-assembled computers :p

(FYI I run a computer building company if you're interested and I can build custom machine :P.)

It's great if you know HOW to build a PC, but if you think the stuff is colour coded then boy are you in for a bad surprise :P
:)That's odd, b/c the PC my friends were building had almost all the wires colour coded for its slot to go into the slots, also had numbers...
RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Caboose on 01-10-2005 at 04:14 AM

They probably color coded it themselves, because I've never seen one that was... and I've worked with computers on quite a few occasions :dodgy:

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Purity on 01-10-2005 at 04:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Caboose
They probably color coded it themselves, because I've never seen one that was... and I've worked with computers on quite a few occasions :dodgy:
I don't know
RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by .blade// on 01-10-2005 at 04:19 AM

Nope. Some wires have things like "USB" or "IDE" written on it, and the Hard Drive and CD/DVD/floppy reader chords are colour coded, but not the main parts. PC building isn't as easy as it seems...

Here's a quiz to see if you're ready to build a 64-bit PC. Post your replies and I'll tell you if you're ready. Do this from your head, not from google :-/.

A) What is the difference between an s754 and s939 processor?
[    ]

B) What is newer: AGP or PCI Express?
[    ]

C) What's the min. voltage you should have for a 64-bit system's Power Supply?
[    ]

D) What's a Heatsink?
[    ]

E) True or False: You should NEVER ground yourself before installing computer parts.
(True)  (False)

F) True or False: BIOS is required before you can start the computer.
(True)  (False)

G) True or False: 99% of the time, BIOS DOES NOT come with the Motherboard.
(True)  (False)

H) What does CPU stand for?

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by surfichris on 01-10-2005 at 04:24 AM

quote:
It's not colour coded The keyboard/mouse/etc are colour coded, but to build a PC from scratch at your level would be suicide
Umm, alot of the stuff is colour coded these days. Where you plug the power button and pc speaker wires in to the jumper socket on the motherboard, most manufacturers now colour code them. Things like RAID sockets are colour coded green these days too, and you'll get some ATA cables which are green too, I wonder where they go :-o Same with IDE cables, SATA cables, the power connectors :-o

As for "his leve" anyone can build a PC. It is pretty much self explanitory, where things will fit and where they wont. All he needs to do is read is motherboard book and it contains a full set of instructions.

quote:
(FYI I run a computer building company if you're interested and I can build custom machine .)
My honest opinion: I don't think you have the knowledge to be running a computer building company. You need a very good amount of knowledge to be able to run one successfully, not some garage business.

Back to the USB ports, are they onboard ones on the motherboard or are they provided with an extra card which connects to the mother board?

Windows should automatically detect them, however in some cases if it does not then you should have received a set of CD's with your PC which will install the USB Root hub drivers and drivers allowing you to make proper use of the USB ports.

[edit]
quote:
[    ]
Minimum voltage? Don't you mean power rating? (Watt's?) And it always varies depending on the motherboard and any other components you have in the system.

Blade, what does an ALU do?
quote:

E) True or False: You should NEVER ground yourself before installing computer parts?
(True)  (False)
It isn't compulsory. I've only grounded myself a few times, one a few occassions installing RAM etc. If you know what you're doing then you don't really need to. I've never had any part of mine or someone elses damaged because I wasn't grounded.
RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by .blade// on 01-10-2005 at 04:27 AM

quote:
I don't think you have the knowledge to be running a computer building company. You need a very good amount of knowledge to be able to run one successfully, not some garage business.

It's not just some Garage business :dodgy: and I do know a lot about computers :-/.

Anyways, If they are USB ports not attached the the motherboard then are they a card, or front (case) mounted?

I can't hook up the 2 ports on the front of my case AND the extra USB card my case comes with because the motherboard doesn't have enough sockets....:p
RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Purity on 01-10-2005 at 04:31 AM

A) socket 939 mor future proof and dual core should be a drop-in replacement in socket 939 boards with appropriate BIOS updates.

socket 754 seems to have a lot more longevity than originally planned though, and S754 boards are cheaper than 939.
B)AGP:dodgy:
C)Don't know that much about 64bit prossesors.
D)Absorbs heating coming off hte CPU or w/e
E)?
F)True
G)False:dodgy:
H)Central Processing Unit

RE: RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by .blade// on 01-10-2005 at 04:36 AM

A) socket 939 mor future proof and dual core should be a drop-in replacement in socket 939 boards with appropriate BIOS updates.

socket 754 seems to have a lot more longevity than originally planned though, and S754 boards are cheaper than 939.
Right...mostly

B)AGP:dodgy:
Wrong, PCI Express is the newest Video Card format

C)Don't know that much about 64bit prossesors.
Wrong...

D)Absorbs heating coming off hte CPU or w/e
Right...sort of

E)?
Wrong...You would have fried ALL your parts, ALWAYS ground yourself (wear an anti-static braclet for one).

F)True
Right

G)False:dodgy:
Right

H)Central Processing Unit
Right

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by surfichris on 01-10-2005 at 04:38 AM

quote:
I can't hook up the 2 ports on the front of my case AND the extra USB card my case comes with because the motherboard doesn't have enough sockets....
The A8V supports 8 USB ports and contains 2 internal sets of headers, therefore you should be able to use the 2 on the front of your case then use the other spare headers for the back ones. :dodgy:

What's an ALU!!
RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by .blade// on 01-10-2005 at 04:39 AM

quote:
quote:
I can't hook up the 2 ports on the front of my case AND the extra USB card my case comes with because the motherboard doesn't have enough sockets....
The A8V supports 8 USB ports and contains 2 internal sets of headers, therefore you should be able to use the 2 on the front of your case then use the other spare headers for the back ones. :dodgy:

What's an ALU!!

The front ones are dodgy and take up extra USB slots so I can only plug in one at a time (they're odd...). Anyways, I've got some dif. ones I'll swap out later.

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by matty on 01-10-2005 at 06:41 AM

Check your device manager. Windows Key + Pause Break
Click the Hardware Tab
Click on the Device Manager
Click the Plus beside USB Controllers
what do you see?

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Purity on 01-12-2005 at 12:27 AM

Umm this is wat i see

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by matty on 01-12-2005 at 12:48 AM

If your USB ports were disabled they would show up with either a red X or if they were not installed correctly then they would show up with ! points

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Purity on 01-12-2005 at 12:52 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
If your USB ports were disabled they would show up with either a red X or if they were not installed correctly then they would show up with ! points
Oh ok, thanks.
RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by wj on 01-12-2005 at 12:54 AM

quote:
E)?
Wrong...You would have fried ALL your parts, ALWAYS ground yourself (wear an anti-static braclet for one).

Bull Shit, While yes, you can help prevent static discharge by grounding your self, you would actually be better off NOT grounding your self and completly isolating your self from a ground. If your workbench is isolated with a few inches of rubber from the floor, and your were sitting on it with nothing on it plugged in (This is how I do my PC servicing at work) there is no possible way to fry a PC. As long as there is no path to ground, there no chance of frying components. And it wouldnt fry all your parts, just the first on your shocked.

I'm going to have to agree with surfi here.
RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by .blade// on 01-12-2005 at 01:00 AM

LOL, and there's how many people with a work bench + several inches of rubber matting? :P

What was I supposed to say to him? :P An anti-static bracelet is the best way to prevent static shock when you don't have ideal building conditions.

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by toddy on 01-12-2005 at 02:12 AM

quote:
My honest opinion: I don't think you have the knowledge to be running a computer building company. You need a very good amount of knowledge to be able to run one successfully, not some garage business.

gonna have to agree with Chris there !! a few examples of your lack of knowledge
1) You thought u have a 130mm fan, when theres no such thing !! Only 40, 60, 80 92, 120mm case fans.
2) You told irish_king that his lost 32mb of ram is from him been sold a stick of ram that is actually less then what it states on the box/sicker. whilst this maybe true, i have never heard of it my self. i guess it will a very small amount under the stated size. when it wasn't to hard to tell that the so called missing ram will be been used up for an onboard graphics card
3) You got the wrong ram for your new motherboard. alrite maybe you didn't buy this ram, you actually tuck if from your old computing. However you should have checked these things before assuming that was the right type.

quote:
but to build a PC from scratch at your level would be suicide
Not really, it really isn’t that hard to build your own computer !! all you have to do it a bit of research before you look at buying your products (e.g. find out what component does what, and find out why one is better then the other and so on...) and then just do abit of research into the products your thinking of buying, to find out if they are compatible with each other. E.g. is the ram supported by the motherboard (just had to use that example:P), what is the fastest bus speed your motherboard supports and so on.

all this research will only take a couple of hours (a couple of days at max) and then the only other thing your may need help with is where the components actually go, but here again with a search of the internet it will not be hard to find detailed instructions on how to put together a computer from scratch

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Purity on 01-17-2005 at 07:57 AM

Guys, I really neeed this fixed! I can't print, upload pics, use webcam, or use my gaming steering wheel! This happned when I pluged in my digital camera one time and then all of hte sudden nothing happened, The drivers are good, I rolled back the driver and tried still doesn't work, I don't know if I pressed a certain hotkey that disable thingsl ike USB ports, I don't know!:'(

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by matty on 01-17-2005 at 08:49 AM

quote:
Guys, I really neeed this fixed! I can't print, upload pics, use webcam, or use my gaming steering wheel! This happned when I pluged in my digital camera one time and then all of hte sudden nothing happened, The drivers are good, I rolled back the driver and tried still doesn't work, I don't know if I pressed a certain hotkey that disable thingsl ike USB ports, I don't know!:'(

In device manager when you plug in a device what do you see under USB
RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Hank on 01-17-2005 at 09:23 AM

Start > Control Panel > System Icon > Hardware Tab > Device Manager Button , an look in there  for the right device, an see what it says under Properties,  it could have a conflict

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Purity on 01-17-2005 at 02:00 PM

I already showed you:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=360510
Could part of the computer be fried or something?

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by matty on 01-17-2005 at 05:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Matty
In device manager when you plug in a device what do you see under USB

quote:
I already showed you:
http://shoutbox.menthix.net/attachment.php?pid=360510
Could part of the computer be fried or something?

:mipdodgy: Please reread my post. I said when YOU PLUGIN a device what does it say the device is in device manager.
RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by saralk on 01-17-2005 at 05:53 PM

quote:
(FYI I run a computer building company if you're interested and I can build custom machine .)

TBH, saying a "computer building company" doesnt really sound that proffesional.

And iirc the "prescott" p4 ht processors can be 64-bit enabled in the BIOS. They just come with that feature disabled
http://neowin.net/comments.php?id=26536&category=main&highlight=
RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Apatik on 01-17-2005 at 07:58 PM

it's still a rumour...
and P4EEs are based on the northwood core anyway.

btw, the main difference between s754 and s939 is the support of dual channel memory.

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Purity on 01-17-2005 at 09:46 PM

What if I put in the windows CD...Will it do anything?

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Plik on 01-17-2005 at 09:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by saralk
And iirc the "prescott" p4 ht processors can be 64-bit enabled in the BIOS. They just come with that feature disabled
http://neowin.net/comments.php?id=26536&category=main&highlight=
It would be stupid for intel to leave such a "selling" feature disabeled.
quote:
Originally posted by Apatik
btw, the main difference between s754 and s939 is the support of dual channel memory.
The main difference is they go into different sockets :refuck:
quote:
What if I put in the windows CD...Will it do anything?
Did you get a driver CD with your pc, if so they may be drivers for your usb. Try installing/re-installing these.
RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Apatik on 01-17-2005 at 10:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by madman66
quote:
Originally posted by Apatik
The main difference is they go into different sockets :refuck:

well.. yeah :p
RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Purity on 01-27-2005 at 10:20 PM

Hey all! I finaly got my computer fixed!! It was a problem with the motherboard...thank god it was on warrenty....got a new motherboard now...

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Hank on 01-27-2005 at 11:52 PM

wasnt Asus  Motherboard was it?

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Purity on 01-27-2005 at 11:56 PM

I don't know...:|

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Hank on 01-28-2005 at 12:02 AM

findout,  would help others to mayb e look for these problems in the motherboard  if they decided to buy one themselves

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Purity on 01-28-2005 at 12:08 AM

How do I find out?

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Hank on 01-28-2005 at 12:43 AM

how, you still got the Board?  what colour is the Board?  if its a Brownish colour it'll more than likely be an Asus,  if its an Intel Board, i wouldnt know i havent had an intel board for years since i had a pentium 120 :)  Gigabyte are a Blueish kinda colour , MSI Boards, im not sure, but you should be able to findout by looking at the board , it May have it written in smallish letters what it is an or the Model name of the Board

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Pyroteq on 01-28-2005 at 01:44 AM

I never ground myself and nothing has ever happened when i build pcs.. Its fairly simple you just have to know where to put a screw, where to plug what and which button to press..My only bad experience is me f-king around with a psu and not checking it, frying 2 dvd roms and a 200g hdd

My asus board conked out after 5 Years on my old PC and i now have Gigabyte on both... Thier a blueish purple colour..

To find out your mobo and various other things you can use http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?dlid=1&lang=en
That will tell you everything you need to know about your pc.

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Purity on 01-28-2005 at 04:52 AM

Thanks Scone, the motherboards name is: Asus P4P800 SE

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Hank on 01-28-2005 at 05:02 AM

funny how i thought it was an Asus,  pretty Predictable, But from what i have read on the net, the alliance between Asus an intel are no longer buddies, like they used to be. Asus Now really only Build Motherboards for AMD ,

RE: RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Purity on 01-28-2005 at 05:07 AM

Ic...I should be getting 64bit processor soon...

RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by Hank on 01-28-2005 at 05:11 AM

Naughty Naughty, double poosting :)  .. i'd like 64bit but unfortunetly,, gf wont let me spend no more money on pc :P

RE: RE: USB ports...DISABLED/!!!! by user2319 on 01-28-2005 at 10:32 AM

A) What is the difference between an s754 and s939 processor?
[  They're different sockets. 754 has 754 pins; 939 has 939 pins; 754 used to be used for AMD Athlon 64 xx00+ and 939 for the FX  ]

B) What is newer: AGP or PCI Express?
[  PCI Express  ]

[  Mine works with 400 watt. And AMD Athlon 64 takes about ~100 watts, but then you'll need a mobo, gpu, etc  ]

D) What's a Heatsink?
[  It's something you stick on your proc. The heat then goes from the cpu to the heatsink. Most of the time there's also a fan on top of the heatsink to cool the heatsink, but if you have a proc that doesn't get hot, you could be able to do without (not with an athlon 64!)  ]

E) True or False: You should NEVER ground yourself before installing computer parts.
False (it is actually a good thing to do)

F) True or False: BIOS is required before you can start the computer.
True

G) True or False: 99% of the time, BIOS DOES NOT come with the Motherboard.
wtf, ofcourse it does! How were you going to boot without it? :wall: You can upgrade your bios by flashing it, though

H) What does CPU stand for?
Central Processing Unit