Shoutbox

Buddy Icon? WTF, annoying - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger (/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+---- Forum: Scripting (/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+----- Forum: Plug-Ins (/forumdisplay.php?fid=28)
+------ Thread: Buddy Icon? WTF, annoying (/showthread.php?tid=36843)

Buddy Icon? WTF, annoying by M73A on 01-11-2005 at 08:31 PM

i keep getting messages like this from sum of my contacts:
               (sorry if nefin missin, had to get it from a log)

[04:43:46 PM] Sarah -x- : Your buddy has a new Buddy Icon. Take a
              look! http://buddies.funbuddyicons.com
              @[fwpscript]Icon:none@[/fwpscript]

is there a way to stop this? or a way for ma contact to disable 'icon:none' coz i fink its just buddy icon advertising itself. ma contacts with it have sed they dont want it there either. is there sumfing that can be changed in the registry?

thanks for any replies

RE: Buddy Icon? WTF, annoying by spokes on 01-11-2005 at 08:36 PM

its just an addon for messenger that displays mor emoticons

you wont see them unless u hav it, if u dnt hav it, it tells u were to get it

the only way to stop it is to tell her (i presume from the name) to stop using emoticons from smileycentral wen talkin to you

RE: Buddy Icon? WTF, annoying by M73A on 01-11-2005 at 09:23 PM

i do and they say they havent sent one i think thats why it shows up Icon:none@.....and the rest of the rubbish

RE: Buddy Icon? WTF, annoying by MoRiA on 01-11-2005 at 10:35 PM

From http://help.funbuddyicons.com/un_install.html

quote:
How do I uninstall Fun Buddy Icons from all my applications?

1) From your computer's Start button, select "Settings", then select "Control Panel"
2) Double-click on the "Add/Remove Programs" icon
3) Select "My Web Search (Fun Buddy Icons)"
4) Click "Remove."

Fun Buddy Icons has now been uninstalled.

"My Web Search"... lovely ;)

Get your friend to run ad-aware after uninstalling that. If she's that good at installing spyware then I would be surprised if she doesn't have any more..
RE: Buddy Icon? WTF, annoying by Sunshine on 01-11-2005 at 10:54 PM

I think that message gets send with the first sentence a contact sends (if you close convo and contact reopens it happens again too) when they have it installed. I have seen these messages quite a few times too (MSN and Yahoo IM).

RE: Buddy Icon? WTF, annoying by M73A on 01-12-2005 at 05:51 PM

thanks a lot, loadsa ma contacts will be pleased wit dis. THANKS!

RE: Buddy Icon? WTF, annoying by ShawnZ on 04-01-2005 at 11:01 PM

If you have fun buddy icons installed, It will automatically interpert those messages. Its like a third party display pictures system.

RE: Buddy Icon? WTF, annoying by albert on 04-01-2005 at 11:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MoRiA
From http://help.funbuddyicons.com/un_install.html

"My Web Search"... lovely ;)

Get your friend to run ad-aware after uninstalling that. If she's that good at installing spyware then I would be surprised if she doesn't have any more..

ye I found the Web Search bar rlly niice, but that buddy icon thing sucks though.. ! tahts why i took it all off :'(

RE: Buddy Icon? WTF, annoying by M73A on 04-01-2005 at 11:14 PM

isnt there like a registry thing or something like that you code edit or delete so it doenst 'fiddle' with msn messenger

RE: Buddy Icon? WTF, annoying by albert on 04-01-2005 at 11:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
isnt there like a registry thing or something like that you code edit or delete so it doenst 'fiddle' with msn messenger

logicly there should.. i dunt even know why they do this i mean i love the product.. befire internet explorer 6 with pop up blocker came in used the pop-up thingy and after that i still usedd the emocotions and the mouse icons.. but my friends always get mad at the msg and i dont rlly like either that so..
RE: Buddy Icon? WTF, annoying by (CyBeRDuDe) on 04-01-2005 at 11:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lp15
quote:

logicly there should.. i dunt even know why they do this i mean i love the product.. befire internet explorer 7 with pop up blocker came in used the pop-up thingy and after that i still usedd the emocotions and the mouse icons.. but my friends always get mad at the msg and i dont rlly like either that so..
Internet Explorer 7??? :O!!! Wow!!! Well done mate!!! :D.. :P...
My web seach is so full of shit!!! Properly the worst and most annoying piece of crappy software ever written!!!... Including Smiley Central, Fun buddy Icon, etc... F**k adware/spyware that behave this way as they do!...

To may73alliance:
I would advise you to tell all your friends that "sends" these messages to you, that they they check their "Add or remove Programs" for any programs that has to do with this Fun Buddy Icon, Cursor Mania, Smiley Central, Popular Screensavers, My Web Seach, Search Assistant, or anything simliar.. And then after that run a Adware scan either using Adware, Spybot Search and Destroy or Spysweeper!... Because if they installed this program their computer is FULL of loads of these crappy software!...
quote:
You would expect this normally yes, but in this case, don't count on it... You will most likely be able to find the registry key in the Run section, but if you delete this, then program will most likely make sure to create this key again... Most programs like this tend to do this, to make sure you have a lesser chance of messing with them... But I can not tell you for certain because I haven't tried Fun Buddy Icon...

RE: Buddy Icon? WTF, annoying by albert on 04-01-2005 at 11:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by (CyBeRDuDe)
Internet Explorer 7??? !!! Wow!!! Well done mate!!!

Wait was this sarcastic..?

EDIT : Ok.. I meant 6 version.. :$sorry about that.. dunno why I ssaid 7..

RE: Buddy Icon? WTF, annoying by (CyBeRDuDe) on 04-02-2005 at 12:04 AM

quote:
quote:

Lol.. Ok... :D... It's ok mate.. :D:P
RE: Buddy Icon? WTF, annoying by albert on 04-02-2005 at 01:29 AM

quote:
quote:
quote:

Lol.. Ok... :D... It's ok mate.. :D:P

:P :( still feeling bad about that lol :( I dunno why but in my head it's 7.. maybe cuz of Netscape 7.. dunno... *-)

RE: Buddy Icon? WTF, annoying by tool++ on 04-03-2005 at 12:46 PM

* tool++ wants to burn people who have smileycentral, along with the makers of smileycentral.

Oh, a girl I knew had this crap on her system, and then I was telling her about it and she was like "OMFG MSG+ is spyware". And I'm like "No..." and she's like "WTF MY DAD'S MATE IS N INTERWEB ENGENEER" so I give up.

There's just some people that wont be helped...and for the, there's no hope.

I basically need to make a big long page that goes through putting on all the "Good" apps (Firefox, MSG+, Winamp, NN-Script, Peerguardian...etc.etc.etc) in the most easy to use manner...but that'd take years :(

edit: Cool forum :) - the /me thing's pretty cool ;)

RE: Buddy Icon? WTF, annoying by Stigmata on 04-03-2005 at 01:02 PM

is this realy in the right forums :S>???

RE: Buddy Icon? WTF, annoying by absorbation on 04-03-2005 at 07:32 PM

Fun Buddy Icon Removal Instructions

What is it?

Funny buddy icon is an add on for internet explorer that’s allows you to add multiple features to your instant messenger. In this case msn. Fun buddy icons are part of the company that also make smiley central as well as cursor mania.

[Image: funbuddy5vy.jpg]

Fun buddy icons do slow down your computer, and collect personal information using tracking cookies and is generally annoying. You can remove it simply by going to add or remove programs in the control panel. Then follow these simple steps:

1.) Find my web search (fun buddy icons) and click change/remove.
2.) Find any other related my web search products and do the same.
3.) Reboot your computer and run any anti adware/spyware scan e.g. lavasoft ad-ware
4.) Delete these folders in your program files:
•    FunWebProducts
•    MyWebsearch

RE: Buddy Icon? WTF, annoying by *~*PaNiC qUeEn*~* on 04-03-2005 at 09:09 PM

I kept reciving and sending out the buddy icon thing to.....the only way that worked for me was was removing "buddy icon" from my computer...so if you did download it remove it,its no good! cuz if ur reciveing it n u did d/l it then u r sending it out to other ppl as well....and if u didnt d/l it tell the ppl that r sending it to u to go and remove it from u system as soon as possible..it can also give you alot of spam as well :S