Shoutbox

best way to network to computers wirelessly - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: best way to network to computers wirelessly (/showthread.php?tid=36998)

best way to network to computers wirelessly by M73A on 01-14-2005 at 11:33 PM

ok, ive got 2 pcs, and i need to network them...but wireless....whats the best, easiest and cheaapest way iyo?

thanks for any replies, this will really help me.

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by MC.POP on 01-14-2005 at 11:45 PM

i have Belkin wireless router and card and i think they are okay.

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by Wabz on 01-14-2005 at 11:51 PM

Right theres many ways to go here.  Mainly depending on the setup you require!  Do you need internet access including if so what type of internet is it?  Are you planning to expand?

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by M73A on 01-14-2005 at 11:53 PM

ive got broadband on one, nuifin on the other. u can connect 2 inet fru the computers being connected and have one use the others inet connection, but both have to be on for that...not to bothered by that tho.

RE: RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by MC.POP on 01-14-2005 at 11:56 PM

quote:
Originally posted by may73alliance
ive got broadband on one, nuifin on the other. u can connect 2 inet fru the computers being connected and have one use the others inet connection, but both have to be on for that...not to bothered by that tho.

i am lost now
RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by M73A on 01-15-2005 at 12:03 AM

if the 2 pcs are netowrked u can have one pc connected to the internet through its network with the other computer. but the only problem with that is both pcs have to be on so the one without the inet can get online.

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by MC.POP on 01-15-2005 at 12:04 AM

no thats not tru, thats why the broadband is connected to the router not the computer and the router has a seperate electric plug so that the computer without the internet can access the inet when the other PC is off.

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by toddy on 01-15-2005 at 12:07 AM

the best options is to buy a wireless router and 2 wireless lan cards for your pc. this mean that both computers can access the internet  without the other one having to be on

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by MC.POP on 01-15-2005 at 12:10 AM

but either way the broadband is still going to be connected to the router first and the router is on at all times so the other computer can access it at all times.
right?!?!?

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by M73A on 01-15-2005 at 12:14 AM

my broadband has got a spare ethernet slot. and its plugged in one alredy. so basically wt i need is a wireless network wire*-) to get internet... but if i cud network the pc's aswell that'd b an added bonus

wt i was on about is u can use the other computers inet. but dat dm i dnt wanna do dat.

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by gif83 on 01-15-2005 at 12:16 AM

yeah but he said he wasn't bothered about that...

i'm thinking of doing something similar

you can use just the two computers with wireless cards..

here's a site you might wanna read:

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by M73A on 01-15-2005 at 12:19 AM

thanks, sites kinda confusing^o)

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by MC.POP on 01-15-2005 at 12:20 AM

how can u receive from card to card u need a router to complete the stuation cards dont connect with each other they all connect to the main router no matter wt u do?!?!?

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by gif83 on 01-15-2005 at 12:21 AM

you can go ad-hoc mode

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by MC.POP on 01-15-2005 at 12:24 AM

ad hoc mode is when u want to connect a router to a router.

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by M73A on 01-15-2005 at 12:25 AM

wat the hell:S ad hoc mode? card?? as in pci card or am i compltely lost here:S......networking these shud b fun 8-)

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by MC.POP on 01-15-2005 at 12:26 AM

pci card is the same as a wireless transeiver.

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by gif83 on 01-15-2005 at 12:27 AM

here's a step by step instruction.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networki...man_02april08.mspx

you need a wireles card in each computer

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by M73A on 01-15-2005 at 12:29 AM

if i bought 2 of these and fitted them wud it work as a network?:

[Image: NET-BLK-F5D7000.jpg]
Belkin networking presents its latest innovation, the 54g Wireless Desktop Network Card. It features breakthrough 54g technology that makes wireless file transfers and downloads faster than ever before. 54g technology provides you with networking speeds nearly five times faster than the current Wi-Fi (802.11b) standard.

54g technology is the easiest wireless network to implement. The Card uses the wireless 54g 2.4GHz standard to offer you the widest working range-up to 1500 feet-and greater interoperability in mixed networking environments. 54g is backward-compatible with the 802.11b Wi-Fi networking standard, so it allows you to implement faster wireless technologies in combination with existing 802.11b Wi-Fi networks.

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by MC.POP on 01-15-2005 at 12:30 AM

it should according to wt gif83 says

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by gif83 on 01-15-2005 at 12:31 AM

it should do. i need to get me one of them too. i've just been reading up loads about it and haven't got around to actually purchasing one.

that's exactly wot you need.

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by M73A on 01-15-2005 at 12:32 AM

kol! bin lookin at these....www.aria.co.uk for ages but dint no if i was gonna end up finding the dont work!

how wud i connect the modem to the other pc? shud have sum small antennae and reciver wit ethernet wire on d end, wud b well easy. lol

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by MC.POP on 01-15-2005 at 12:34 AM

if u can do that can somebody tell me y u need a router?

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by M73A on 01-15-2005 at 12:35 AM

do you need it so u can access the internet without having to have both pc's on?

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by gif83 on 01-15-2005 at 12:35 AM

it's for a larger infrastructure network. possibly also more secure.
and the internet connected host computer doesn't need to be on all the time.

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by MC.POP on 01-15-2005 at 12:36 AM

aha
thats right u got it bro, if the computer with the isp is off then the card is off which will cause the other computer not to access the internet bingo?!
since the card is hooked to the motherboard and the computer with inet shuts off the motherboard shuts off two and the card so the other pc cant access the internet when the other computer off.

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by M73A on 01-15-2005 at 12:38 AM

so if i get dem belkin pci cards. wts an easy way of connecting ma modem to it coz i dont reli wanna have to have da pc downstairs on wen i want to use the inet upstairs... lol

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by MC.POP on 01-15-2005 at 12:40 AM

u need a router (wireless) and a card (wireless), but dont mark my word i could be wrong.

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by M73A on 01-15-2005 at 12:42 AM

card? pci card? sorry, im kinda confused. ma modem is a router. apparently:S it got adsl router everywhere dont say modem... so would i need to buy ANUVA router or is there sumat i can get for dis crappy one?

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by gif83 on 01-15-2005 at 12:43 AM

either make your upstairs computer the host.. or get a wireless router and wireless cards.

make sure that your modem isn't a usb one or else you'll need to get another modem.. or a modem wireless router

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by M73A on 01-15-2005 at 12:44 AM

hmm cud make it host. might do dat actually but den id have ppl comin in ma room to turn it on so they can go on the inet downstairs, lol

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by MC.POP on 01-15-2005 at 12:49 AM

i think a router and a wireless card is the best idea. but put the router down stairs and use the card upstairs thats wt i would do.

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by gif83 on 01-15-2005 at 12:49 AM

well it's your choice. you'll have to get two wireless cards whatever happens anyway.

btw.. when did i get this reputation point?

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by M73A on 01-15-2005 at 12:51 AM

lol, oh jus a min ago. found ur advice really helpful....so added a rep point to ya.

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by MC.POP on 01-15-2005 at 12:52 AM

thnx for mine too. u only need a router and a wirless card thats all .

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by M73A on 01-15-2005 at 12:53 AM

hmm cud u do me a MASSIVE favor and gimme links to wt i need to buy. lol. is a wireless card lthe fing i posted earlier? sorry bout dis im a bit of a plank wen it comes to networking.

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by MC.POP on 01-15-2005 at 12:54 AM

yes a wireless card is the thing u posted earlier
a router looks like this http://www.zdnet.de/mobile/supercenter/wireless/t.../belkin-router.jpg
this is wt i have by the way.
by the wa wt do u have upstairs a laptop pr a desktop?
u have to be over 100 points to give some reps

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by gif83 on 01-15-2005 at 12:56 AM

only if the router's directly wired to one of the computers.

and thanks may73alliance for the rep point.
how do you give those? (for future reference)

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by M73A on 01-15-2005 at 12:56 AM

ohhhhhhhhhhhh sweet. is this a decent router for them then:

-Wireless LAN Broadband Router 4+1
[Image: NET-WL-R4000.jpg]
  The Wireless Router is a cost effective IP sharing Router that enables multiple users to share internet access by ethernet and Wirless LAN.  The Wireless Router combines advanced wireless technology with routing functons, giving your broadband sharing router a wireless access point.  The wireless router allows you to connect to the internet through ADSL or cable modem.  Giving you an instant network today and the flexibility to handle tomorrow's expansion; the wireless router provides the perfect solution for SMB networking.

LAN interface:    4 LAN ports.(RJ-45).Compliant with IEEE 802.3 and IEEE 802.3u
Security:    Built-in NAT firewall security, private IP addresses not accessible from the internet, IP packet filtering (IP#/protocol/port#), MAC address filtering, PPP PAP, CHAP/MS-CHAP authentication.
VPN:    L2TP pass through, PPTP pass through, IPSec pass through.
Management:    Cisco-like command line interface. Embedded telnet server. Customized web based GUI. Firmware upgrade via web based GUI. Configuration data upload and download via TFTP. Support DHCP server/client. SNMP MIB support, easily for MIS staff.
Protocol support:    PPP/PPPoE/PPTP/IP routing, TIP-1/2,NAT/PAT.
LED Indicators:    Power x1, WAN Link/Act, 10/100 x1; LAN link/act, 10/100 x4; WAN link x1.
Restore button:    Restore key.
Environment:    Storage temp: -20C. Operating temp: 0~40C. Operating humidity: 10%~90%, non-condensing.
Certification:    EMI conformance FCC part 15/DOC, CE Class B.
Electrical:    Using power adapter: input voltage +5VDC, 2A.

Antenna:    Detachable antenna support receiving diversity.
Interoperability:    Interoperable with Wi-Fi(WECA) certified products (AP card etc).
Chipset:    Intersil Prism 2.5.
Data Rate:    11,5.5,2 and 1 MBPS per channel, Auto fall-back.
Voltage:    3.3V.
LED:    Link status, power-on.
Network Architecture types:    Supports Ad-hoc (p2p) and infrastructure (communications to wired networks via Access Point), roaming (standard IEEE 802.11b compliant).
RF output power:    15dBm(max).
Sensitivity:    @PER<8% 11Mbps: -81dBm(max 5.5Mbps: 88dBm(max). 2Mbps: -89dBm(max) 1Mbps: -92dBm(max).
Operating Channels:    N.America/FCC: 2.412~2.462GHz (11 channels). Europe CE/ETSI: 2.412~2.472GHz (13 channels). Japan: 2.412~2.484GHz (14 Channels). France: 2.457~2.472GHz(4 Channels). Spain 2.457~2.462GHz(2 Channels).
Modulation:    CCK (11mpbs, 5.5mbps),DQPSK(2mbps), DBPSK(1mbps)
Warranty:    One year limited warranty.
Security:    WEP 64bits and 128 bits.
Operating temperature:    0~55C
Storage temperature:     -20~80C
Humidity:    5%~80%, non-condensing.

looks diferent from d uvas but cheapest one there, so owel, lol

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by MC.POP on 01-15-2005 at 12:59 AM

the brand is up to u. all u need is a router and a wireless card.
by the way that is too much information some things i cant understand?!!??

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by gif83 on 01-15-2005 at 01:00 AM

wow looks impressive but note it is 802.11b and only 11Mbps

i think...

if that's enough then fine.

EDIT: 802.11g is out now and that is much faster

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by M73A on 01-15-2005 at 01:01 AM

lol, its just the info from www.aria.co.uk.....well if u can understand some of that ur doing betta than me. im ok wit buildin da pc from scratch but networking.....fooks me right up, dnt no where to start wit it(as u cud pprobs tell)

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by gif83 on 01-15-2005 at 01:02 AM

best you can do is look it up on the internet... google or something.

and read it slowly. sometimes you can find forums for network where people have the same troubles as you

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by MC.POP on 01-15-2005 at 01:03 AM

ok y dont u start from radioshack.com

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by M73A on 01-15-2005 at 01:04 AM

hmm spose, its much easier to understand like this, thanks for all the help gif83 and MC.POP

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by MC.POP on 01-15-2005 at 01:05 AM

no problem.

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by gif83 on 01-15-2005 at 01:07 AM

my pleasure. tell me how you get on cos i am planning on doing something similar.

RE: best way to network to computers wirelessly by M73A on 01-15-2005 at 01:09 AM

ok, i dont no how long it will be tho coz gotta order the stuff from net and all dat...thanks again.