Shoutbox

Windows Update - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Windows Update (/showthread.php?tid=37013)

Windows Update by Jhrono on 01-15-2005 at 11:41 AM

I'm using XP home..like i started updating but it doesnt go further then 0%...whats the name of windows update process so i can terminate it by alt+ctrl+del?

RE: Windows Update by _Humphreys on 01-15-2005 at 11:45 AM

It is called summit like wdupmanager. You shouldn't really be closing down stuff from there if you don't know what you are doing.

RE: Windows Update by Jhrono on 01-15-2005 at 11:47 AM

but its on for 1 hour and still in 0%...should i reboot?

RE: Windows Update by user35870 on 01-15-2005 at 11:50 AM

quote:
Originally posted by johny
but its on for 1 hour and still in 0%...should i reboot?

yeh reboot and try it again i get that sometimes
RE: Windows Update by _Humphreys on 01-15-2005 at 11:54 AM

There could be something wrong with it e.g. it's corrupt or something. All that I can think of then is to format your pc then reinstall Windows XP although there is probably another easier way this will do the trick.

RE: Windows Update by Jhrono on 01-15-2005 at 12:02 PM

wtf my windows aint corrupt..:S...the pc store installed it and they are certificated by microsoft...

RE: Windows Update by segosa on 01-15-2005 at 06:09 PM

Are you accessing it via Internet Explorer? Formatting is an extremely drastic suggestion. Leave it for a day or so, otherwise I guess you'll have to try removing the Windows Update ActiveX control and reinstalling it (providing you're using the web interface, if you're not then try using it!).

johny: Think about it, if I sent you a file which opened a certain file and wrote random bytes (i.e. corrupting it) would that have anything to do with where you bought your PC from?

RE: Windows Update by _Humphreys on 01-15-2005 at 06:42 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
wtf my windows aint corrupt.....the pc store installed it and they are certificated by microsoft...

The files probably won't be corrupted but there is still a chance they are. Just cause a store installed the os for you doesn't mean their not corrupted loads of things can cause a file to become corrupt.

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa

Are you accessing it via Internet Explorer? Formatting is an extremely drastic suggestion.

Yes that's why I didn't recommend it to him.

johny it is probably just a simple problem with a simple solution. So as Segosa said just leave it for a couple of days and then try again.