Shoutbox

pc won't start - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: pc won't start (/showthread.php?tid=37025)

pc won't start by spokes on 01-15-2005 at 03:41 PM

well, i have a pc upstairs and it hassnt been used in about 2 months
and i goto turn it on today....and nope, nothing.
so i check the back and where the plug is, if i pull it out and put it back in the green light (on the bak) lights up and then goes off

any ideas?

RE: pc won't start by Sunshine on 01-15-2005 at 03:45 PM

Check the plug, wiring and the battery.

RE: pc won't start by spokes on 01-15-2005 at 03:48 PM

already checked them, all okay, and the noise it makes wen pluggin in the plug is like the electric shock sound off movies

RE: pc won't start by .blade// on 01-15-2005 at 05:36 PM

Does your Power-Supply have a cut power switch?

RE: pc won't start by matty on 01-15-2005 at 06:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by spokes
already checked them, all okay, and the noise it makes wen pluggin in the plug is like the electric shock sound off movies

To be honest with you I would take this PC in to a technician who is A+ certified. It sounds like your Power Supply is going or the outlet you are connecting it to, and in that case you don't want to start a house fire.

Just take it in and say when you connect the cord to the power supply it makes a shock noise and they can test it out for you.
RE: pc won't start by Ezra on 01-15-2005 at 08:56 PM

I am A+ certified :-D

I think you should try to buy a new one and put that in. Does not sound good that it's making noise...

Be sure the new one is powerfull enough to power your computer and that it has enough connectors.

RE: pc won't start by saralk on 01-15-2005 at 09:49 PM

maybe there was a power surge that destroyed the powersupply

once a power supply burnt out my modem.

RE: pc won't start by brian on 01-15-2005 at 09:52 PM

Once a powersupply burned my motherboard which burned the whole computer, I had about $ 1000 of loss.

RE: pc won't start by spokes on 01-15-2005 at 10:17 PM

doubt it was a surge cos i hav a surge protector

RE: pc won't start by .blade// on 01-15-2005 at 10:20 PM

Have you tried plugging the computer into a differnet outlet (I mean not the surge protector or the outlet that the surge protector's in, but an outlet somewhere else in the house)?

RE: pc won't start by spokes on 01-16-2005 at 09:47 AM

yea i tried it in my brothers room and my room still nope. im takin it to a pc shop later. i think the power units gone

EDIT : i opened the power thing yesterday to try and see whats rong and i seen like a black burn mark, so i think this is whats rong (yes the pc was unplugged at this time cos i hav common sense :D)

RE: pc won't start by DXtremz on 01-16-2005 at 09:11 PM

Wow, that's some awesome advice blade ^o). Anyway, Can you give in detail what the sound that it is making is like? And where exactly is the sound coming from? Do you smell any sort of burning? If the light on the PSU goes on and then goes off after a short period of time, then there is a very odd power draw on it. You can try replacing the PSU, but it could be something wrong with the motherboard itself. Obviously start by just replacing the PSU. Take it to a shop if you aren't comfortable doing that yourself.

RE: pc won't start by .blade// on 01-17-2005 at 03:55 AM

:|

I take offense to that, Matty and DXtremz.

It's possible for it to be the outlet and I've seen it before. If the outlet or the surge protector is screwed up, this can happen. I had a perfectly good PC that was making a strange noise and didn't want to start properly when I plugged it into an old power bar. I plugged it in somewhere else and it was fine - the power bar wasn't delevering the right voltage (and the PC was the only thing plugged into it).

What I meant was - plug it into another outlet, turn it on, if it does the same then unplug it and you'll know it IS the PC.'

If you have a problem with my advice then you can damn well PM me instead of making me feel like a fucking retard in public :notfunny:.