Shoutbox

Mozilla Sunbird - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Mozilla Sunbird (/showthread.php?tid=37051)

Mozilla Sunbird by f1d0d1d08989 on 01-16-2005 at 10:27 AM

Perhaps this is very basic, but...

How do I install Mozilla Sunbird? I just cant figure out a way to install it. When I downloaded it, it just gave me a zip file. After I extracted it, I just found the sunbird.exe n loads of other files...

Do I just copy the folder to Program Files or any other locations, and just create a shortcut for sunbird.exe? Or what should I do?

RE: Mozilla Sunbird by user27089 on 01-16-2005 at 10:43 AM

well try making a folder in program files called 'Mozilla Firebird' and  then adding a shortcut to the start menu, and try it, or you can just make a folder on your desktop, that'll work... cause they might be some required installation files... is there a readme?

RE: Mozilla Sunbird by f1d0d1d08989 on 01-16-2005 at 10:47 AM

No the downloaded zip file did not come with any documentation. So I cant figure out how to install it. I remembered sawing someone's desktop with the 'Mozilla Sunbird' icon during the January Desktops thread, but I just cant remember who is it...

And, I searched the Mozilla website, but i just cant find anything...

Thks anyway...:D I'll just do with that method...

EDIT: Okay thks for ur help :D:D...

RE: Mozilla Sunbird by user27089 on 01-16-2005 at 10:51 AM

I'm downloading it to find out how to install it, after I've done so, then I'll tell you the correct way to install it ;).

I read through the website and:

quote:
Originally posted by mozilla site

What do I need to install Mozilla Calendar?
You need a current version of Mozilla, either 1.0 or higher. It should work in the latest nightly releases. You can find different versions for all Mozilla releases since 1.0 on the download page. If there is trouble, try installing Calendar before any other extensions.

Sunbird is basically the mozilla calender...
RE: Mozilla Sunbird by f1d0d1d08989 on 01-16-2005 at 10:57 AM

I know its Mozilla calender which I actually have, but...

[Image: sunbird-installer1.png]
Screenshot taken from Mozilla's website

I see this and I am confused...

Sunbird is actually a Standalone calender in experimental stages...

quote:
Originally posted by Mozilla Sunbird Website

The Sunbird Project is a redesign of the Mozilla Calendar component. Our goal is to produce a cross platform standalone calendar application based on Mozilla's XUL user interface language. At the moment the Sunbird name is a project name. It is not official and may change in the future.

Our intended user is someone who uses Mozilla Firefox and Mozilla Thunderbird and wants a calendar application based on Mozilla.

In addition, by focusing solely on standalone calendar, we believe we can make some dents in the overall footprint and performance of the calendar application by removing components and chrome we don't need.

At the moment Sunbird is in an experimental stage. Although it is quite stable, we recommend it for testing purposes only.

RE: Mozilla Sunbird by user27089 on 01-16-2005 at 10:59 AM

Well then press next to continue installing Mozilla Sunbird 0.2 ...

this is quite cool, just keep everything in one folder and click on the main .exe folder and the program should start, it worked for me ;).

RE: Mozilla Sunbird by Kryptonate on 01-16-2005 at 11:00 AM

The Sunbird you can download is a build, so it's indeed still in experimental stages. Just download the zip and unzip it. Then you can use it like normal.

RE: Mozilla Sunbird by f1d0d1d08989 on 01-16-2005 at 11:01 AM

The problem is, I got this from a screenshot that was posted on the website. If you see the screenshots section, you'll see this. And, I dont find a installer in the zip file I downloaded.

I think that a installer exists, but I just cant figure out where it is...

EDIT: Oh okay...Thks...I'll just use the .exe file...and just create a shortcut of it and place it on my desktop...

RE: Mozilla Sunbird by KeyStorm on 01-16-2005 at 07:11 PM

See, the installer is not in the code. If someone at one point decided to build Sunbird with a win32 installer, they grabbed the code and built it to an installer, but it makes no difference. Well, actually the installer may create a Start>Program/Desktop/Quick Access Entry, but further than that it's the same as a normal build.

RE: Mozilla Sunbird by _Humphreys on 01-16-2005 at 08:42 PM

As Keystorm said builds sometimes don't have installers untill a proper version comes out example : SS3 didn't have an installer when it was a build.

RE: Mozilla Sunbird by f1d0d1d08989 on 01-22-2005 at 12:49 AM

Sorry for bumping up this OLD thread, but, I think I found the installer for Mozilla Sunbird...

http://seb.mozdev.org/sunbird/

RE: Mozilla Sunbird by Hank on 01-22-2005 at 03:45 AM

did you Click or Double click on the .exe after you unzipped it?

RE: Mozilla Sunbird by f1d0d1d08989 on 01-22-2005 at 12:20 PM

Huh? What do you mean???

RE: Mozilla Sunbird by Hank on 01-22-2005 at 12:24 PM

well is the file installed yet or not?.. after unzipping a file , usually there is a file there called sunbird.exe , remembering its just a ZIp which u downloaded it wont put that in  Program automatically for you,,

RE: Mozilla Sunbird by f1d0d1d08989 on 01-22-2005 at 03:16 PM

HUH? Sorry, but I still dont really get what you mean...

* f1d0d1d08989 says that my language skills are very poor...

RE: Mozilla Sunbird by Hank on 01-22-2005 at 03:18 PM

is Mozilla Sunbird installed ?

RE: Mozilla Sunbird by f1d0d1d08989 on 01-22-2005 at 04:13 PM

Mozilla Sunbird should be able to work on its own, after downloading the ZIP file available on the website.

I created this thread because I thought that there was an installer in the ZIP file downloaded from the Mozilla Sunbird's project page, but there wasnt. If you want to use Mozilla Sunbird, you can, just by unzipping the ZIP file to a directory, for example C:\Program Files, then create a shortcut of the sunbird.exe to the desktop...

RE: Mozilla Sunbird by Hank on 01-23-2005 at 04:59 AM

pretty much piss easy, only thiny i dont use it, i use calenda in Novel Evolution Email Client

RE: Mozilla Sunbird by user2319 on 01-28-2005 at 11:04 AM

Don't you mean symbian? And yes, symbian is Novell's

I use KDE's PIM (Personal Information Manager)