Shoutbox

Becareful with this email - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Becareful with this email (/showthread.php?tid=37055)

Becareful with this email by Jhrono on 01-16-2005 at 12:41 PM

See this :
http://www.johny.web.pt/Dangerous.jpg
wtf..i've reported it to the gmail guys...i mean those guys send me a virus?someone is :refuck: them...

RE: Becareful with this email by John Anderton on 01-16-2005 at 01:38 PM

Didn't get any similar thing :S
I think thats from some other site i duno how but i used to get a few every week at hotmail about a month ago but they stopped.
Thanks for the warning though (Y) :)

RE: Becareful with this email by saralk on 01-16-2005 at 01:59 PM

just so you know, your website isnt accessible from AOL connections

RE: Becareful with this email by Jhrono on 01-16-2005 at 02:07 PM

sorry saralk :S...here...

RE: Becareful with this email by Anubis on 01-16-2005 at 02:17 PM

First time I've seen a Bagel varient sent from someone masking as support@gmail.com. But there's been many e-mails sent from people masking as support@gmail.com, claiming to be sending free gifts, anti-spam upgrades and all kinds of things.
I vaguely recall a Gmail plan to blacklist these addresses every time they are sent to a Gmail account unless they contain a hidden code, which randomly is changed by Gmail to ensure that you only receive genuine e-mails from real looking support addresses. I also heard a rumour of a plan to only allow e-mails from certain addresses if they are sent from a certain IP address, like Gmail's server. Both these methods, in the long term, should allow the guys\bots that send malicious attachments to resort to crap and suspicious supposedly "support" addresses, which very few would think was genuine...However I haven't heard anything official on these plans, if they are even going to happen at all...

RE: Becareful with this email by segosa on 01-16-2005 at 02:31 PM

That virus has nothing to do with GMail. It takes your e-mail's domain (@gmail.com) and generates the e-mail body using it. If your e-mail address was @sexypie.com it would be the same except "Gmail" would be replaced with "Sexypie"

RE: Becareful with this email by John Anderton on 01-16-2005 at 02:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Segosa
That virus has nothing to do with GMail. It takes your e-mail's domain (@gmail.com) and generates the e-mail body using it. If your e-mail address was @sexypie.com it would be the same except "Gmail" would be replaced with "Sexypie"

I think all of us knew that or figured that out.
I did atleast cause the company wont get away wit it newayz :)
RE: Becareful with this email by segosa on 01-16-2005 at 03:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by John Anderton
quote:
Originally posted by Segosa

I think all of us knew that or figured that out.
I did atleast cause the company wont get away wit it newayz :)

The topic starter did not as he explained to us how he had forwarded the e-mail to GMail.
RE: Becareful with this email by Munty on 01-16-2005 at 03:24 PM

Emails from any mail can be faked using software, just dont open it up.