Shoutbox

Forum does not validate W3C - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General (/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+---- Forum: Forum & Website (/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+----- Thread: Forum does not validate W3C (/showthread.php?tid=37071)

Forum does not validate W3C by user2319 on 01-16-2005 at 08:20 PM

The forum doesn't validate, according to http://validator.w3.org. Why isn't the forum valid XHTML? It is saying it is.. (see quote below from source). Also, when I turn cookies off, I can't login (well, I can, but I can't stay logged in), and the forum doesn't look to good in Lynx (text-mode browser; it looks all messy). Can it be fixed to be valid?

quote:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

Now, about the cookies: It says it does that here, but I still find it annoying..

[Image: attachment.php?pid=363200]
RE: Forum does not validate W3C by Plik on 01-16-2005 at 08:22 PM

quote:
Originally posted by PlusFan
Also, when I turn cookies off, I can't login (well, I can, but I can't stay logged in)
Thats not supprising considering it uses cookies to store your logon status and other stuff.
quote:
the forum doesn't look to good in Lynx (text-mode browser; it looks all messy).
Most sites wont.
RE: Forum does not validate W3C by Millenium_edition on 01-16-2005 at 08:35 PM

and the forum is transitional, it's just the theme that dates from mybb RC2 which isn't, what makes the page invalid.

(IIRC)

RE: Forum does not validate W3C by WDZ on 01-17-2005 at 04:10 AM

quote:
The forum doesn't validate, according to http://validator.w3.org.
Old news. :p

quote:
Why isn't the forum valid XHTML?
Because the people who wrote the original MyBB templates didn't care, apparently.

quote:
It is saying it is
Some parts of the board are valid XHTML, and the rest will be eventually.

quote:
the forum doesn't look to good in Lynx
That doesn't surprise me, since the board uses tables and CSS extensively. How many modern complex sites do look good in a text-only browser? :s

You can use Mozilla and Opera on Linux, so don't complain about Lynx. :refuck:
RE: Forum does not validate W3C by wj on 01-17-2005 at 04:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by madman66
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

That doesnt mean the site claims to be valid XHTML, It is just a signal to the browser as to how to view the page.
RE: Forum does not validate W3C by user2319 on 01-17-2005 at 04:26 PM

Yes, it tells the browser to view the page as W3C XHTML 1.0 Transitional.

Can't the templates be modified? Or would it break everything (I suppose it would.. :rolleyes: )

edit:

quote:
That doesn't surprise me, since the board uses tables and CSS extensively. How many modern complex sites do look good in a text-only browser? :S

You can use Mozilla and Opera on Linux, so don't complain about Lynx. :refuck:

CSS is not a problem.

Disabled users can't use Mozilla and Opera. And sometimes when I'm in text-mode I like to browse the web.
RE: Forum does not validate W3C by WDZ on 01-17-2005 at 04:38 PM

quote:
Can't the templates be modified?
There are hundreds of them... tons of work. And yeah, stuff could get messed up. Anyway, much of the conversion to XHTML has been done in MyBB RC4.
RE: RE: Forum does not validate W3C by user2319 on 01-17-2005 at 04:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
quote:
Can't the templates be modified?
There are hundreds of them... tons of work. And yeah, stuff could get messed up. Anyway, much of the conversion to XHTML has been done in MyBB RC4.

So, when's that gonna be released? And for when's the final scheduled? It's been in RC for a long time now if I'm not mistaking <_<
RE: Forum does not validate W3C by WDZ on 01-17-2005 at 04:46 PM

RC4 is out... I'm waiting for the final ('Gold') before I think about upgrading...

RE: Forum does not validate W3C by toddy on 01-17-2005 at 04:49 PM

quote:
Originally posted by WDZ
I'm waiting for the final ('Gold') before I think about upgrading.

and even when gold comes out he probably won't upgrade, he will just think about it, realise how much work they would be to do. then realise that hes lazy and can't be arsed :P