Shoutbox

Disable automatic install for Hardware - Printable Version

-Shoutbox (https://shoutbox.menthix.net)
+-- Forum: MsgHelp Archive (/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Skype & Technology (/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+---- Forum: Tech Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+----- Thread: Disable automatic install for Hardware (/showthread.php?tid=37084)

Disable automatic install for Hardware by leito on 01-17-2005 at 05:24 AM

Hi all, I'm trying to install a Bluetooth USB adapter. The manual says I have to plug the adapter, and "Install,from a list or specific location (Advance)", but I can't get there, because Windows install its automatically from the Windows Database.

I try to go to the device manager and update the drivers but 4 different devices were installed and a updated will not work.

I think I need to disable automatic installation of hardware in XP. Do you know how to do it?

RE: Disable automatic install for Hardware by RaceProUK on 01-17-2005 at 11:04 AM

Before you go disabling automatic installation, check to see if it works. If it does, then Windows already has the correct drivers.

RE: Disable automatic install for Hardware by Sam Spade on 01-17-2005 at 02:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by leito
Hi all, I'm trying to install a Bluetooth USB adapter. The manual says I have to plug the adapter, and "Install,from a list or specific location (Advance)", but I can't get there, because Windows install its automatically from the Windows Database.

I try to go to the device manager and update the drivers but 4 different devices were installed and a updated will not work.

I think I need to disable automatic installation of hardware in XP. Do you know how to do it?

You can temporarily stop UPNP (universal plug n play) - a service accessible via control panel, administrative tools, services. That will prevent XP from installing the software automatically.